Child with loud vocalizations

Status
Not open for further replies.
As someone who sometimes doesn't handle loud noises (like screaming kids) well, especially when my anxiety is high, I say do what you need to do for you and your kids to have a wonderful trip.

It is one thing to let a child run around, screeching and screaming for no reason while the parent sits there playing on their phone doing nothing. Especially a child old enough to understand not to do that.

It is a totally different thing for a special needs child to vocalize excitement. Especially if the parent does seem to be trying to bring the noise level down, even if without success.

A big difference to me is how the parent handles it... and I can tell from your posts OP that you do what you can. You even said you would be willing to leave if it got too disruptive. That is more then a lot of people and I thank you for thinking of others.

To me it is a give and take. We all have to meet in the middle and sometimes make compromises. By going to Disney, I know I will need to deal with loud kids and sudden noises. It is a part of it. But I am always appreciative of a parent doing what they can or taking the child out when it continues.
Thank you for your kind words and insight❤️ I do need to remember that how he “reacts” might ne a trigger to someone else. My other littke guys had CP and due to that a retained Moro reflex that is over exaggerated by his Cortical Vision Impairment, so he will often throw his arms back ( like a Moro reflex) and cry at loud noises he doesn’t know are “coming” ( like our dog barking) I need to remember that others have medical conditions both seen and unseen.
I do try very hard to make everyone comfortable around us, give space, say thank yous, explain any questions other children might have and tell the children thank you for being such a good friend to my boys. At a restaurant I will always take them out ( which I did with my typicals also) and apologize to anyone we may have bothered. My boys learn from observing typical chidren ( peer modeling) and from my reactions. Luckily, they are easily distracted ( in a good way!) so if we need to leave somewhere, we won’t make it seem like a “punishment” or Shame/lecture them, we will just chalk it up to experience and move in to the next thing!

For almost all shows, guests enter at one of the row and the exits are all the way at the other end of the row. Definitely, you can ask a CM at the attraction. But, a good rule of thumb is to get all the way to the far end of the row from where you entered.
The exceptions I can think of offhand are:
- Nemo at AK; the exits are at the rear of the theater at the same doors used to come in (not open at this time)
- Festival of the Lion King at AK; tell a CM you may need to leave during the show since a CM will need to guide you out (reportedly reopening sometime in May)
- Turtle Talk at Epcot; the exits are at the rear of the theater (has not reopened yet the last time I looked)
- Carousel of Progress at MK; moving theater can’t be exited until the show is over
- Belle‘s Enchanted Tales at MK; there are 3 rooms. The first 2 normally guests exit into the next room. There is a CM in each room who could direct you if you need to leave. The third room is the show and the exit is at the rear. (Had not reopened yet)

You didn’t mention if anyone will be using a wheelchair or stroller as a wheelchair. The stroller as wheelchair tag is separate from DAS, but can be requested at the same time. It allows a stroller to be brought into lines/attractions where strollers are not usually allowed. Strollers tagged as wheelchairs are treated treated the same in lines and attractions as wheelchairs are.
In most shows, the wheelchair seating is in the rear of the theater. There is usually space to get past other parked wheelchairs if you need to leave. There are 2 I can think of that are tight - Little Mermaid at Hollywood Studio and American Adventure at Epcot ( not recommended since it’s a long show).

For almost all shows, guests enter at one of the row and the exits are all the way at the other end of the row. Definitely, you can ask a CM at the attraction. But, a good rule of thumb is to get all the way to the far end of the row from where you entered.
The exceptions I can think of offhand are:
- Nemo at AK; the exits are at the rear of the theater at the same doors used to come in (not open at this time)
- Festival of the Lion King at AK; tell a CM you may need to leave during the show since a CM will need to guide you out (reportedly reopening sometime in May)
- Turtle Talk at Epcot; the exits are at the rear of the theater (has not reopened yet the last time I looked)
- Carousel of Progress at MK; moving theater can’t be exited until the show is over
- Belle‘s Enchanted Tales at MK; there are 3 rooms. The first 2 normally guests exit into the next room. There is a CM in each room who could direct you if you need to leave. The third room is the show and the exit is at the rear. (Had not reopened yet)

You didn’t mention if anyone will be using a wheelchair or stroller as a wheelchair. The stroller as wheelchair tag is separate from DAS, but can be requested at the same time. It allows a stroller to be brought into lines/attractions where strollers are not usually allowed. Strollers tagged as wheelchairs are treated treated the same in lines and attractions as wheelchairs are.
In most shows, the wheelchair seating is in the rear of the theater. There is usually space to get past other parked wheelchairs if you need to leave. There are 2 I can think of that are tight - Little Mermaid at Hollywood Studio and American Adventure at Epcot ( not recommended since it’s a long show).
We will be requesting stroller as wheelchair ( we have our stroller at home tagged as so) they both need a “safe” space to decompress, and only the 5 year old can walk ( short distances due to the spastic quad and gait issues, 3 yr old can only army crawl right now”. This is great Information to have and I appreciate it! “Front” of anything ( lol) would not be good for either boy ( even with his CVI-as it is more of a processing than vision impairment) so back of the theater would be best!

My youngest daughter has cerebral palsy (mixed, mostly spastic quad). She is an adult now, and still sometimes has problems with uncontrolled sounds, mostly laughing or crying.
Her neurologists explained some of the damage in her brain from CP was similar to damage some stroke patients have that causes uncontrollable crying or laughing. Some stroke patients‘s crying or laughing comes out of nowhere - they may not know why they are doing it and have no control.
My daughter’s is more of an ‘overflow’ reaction - she starts laughing at something funny and the laughter ‘overflows’ to a point where she can’t control it. She’s gotten much better over the years at keeping from getting to the ‘overflow’ point, but it does still get away from her sometimes - especially if she’s overtired or overstimulated.

I second the Living Seas aquarium recommendation. It is very calming and my daughter and I enjoy just hanging out there.
Just before entering the aquarium area on the top level, there is a wall with a deep ledge. My daughter likes to get out of her wheelchair to sit on the ledge.

My youngest daughter has cerebral palsy (mixed, mostly spastic quad). She is an adult now, and still sometimes has problems with uncontrolled sounds, mostly laughing or crying.
Her neurologists explained some of the damage in her brain from CP was similar to damage some stroke patients have that causes uncontrollable crying or laughing. Some stroke patients‘s crying or laughing comes out of nowhere - they may not know why they are doing it and have no control.
My daughter’s is more of an ‘overflow’ reaction - she starts laughing at something funny and the laughter ‘overflows’ to a point where she can’t control it. She’s gotten much better over the years at keeping from getting to the ‘overflow’ point, but it does still get away from her sometimes - especially if she’s overtired or overstimulated.
My 5 year old does exactly this!!! He wil laugh and laugh and laugh and then suddenly cry! I do agree it’s at an “overflow” point. A few times he was laughing at my daughter brushing her hair tho, and it happened. We just hug him and calm him down. He is getting a communication device and the OT/SLP was telling us similar things. ❤️

I second the Living Seas aquarium recommendation. It is very calming and my daughter and I enjoy just hanging out there.
Just before entering the aquarium area on the top level, there is a wall with a deep ledge. My daughter likes to get out of her wheelchair to sit on the ledge.
This is a great tip! Thank you! My littlest has CP spastic quad ( hypoxia at birth) and has dystonia ( the army crawler) one thing he has been working on at PT is “bench sitting” ( his core is so weak) so this sounds like something he would love to do! 💕

Of course they did not always behave. But I did teach them not to scream for no reason. I see many parents that do nothing when their child starts with the ear piercing screeches.
Let me guess? By just seeing a single moment of their life you can tell what kind of parent they are? That the child who is screeching is not dealing with some disability?
When I see those moments I feel for the parents. We have all been there, it's frustrating and embarrassing to be that parent. A little compassion instead of condemnation goes a long way.

Let me guess? By just seeing a single moment of their life you can tell what kind of parent they are? That the child who is screeching is not dealing with some disability?
When I see those moments I feel for the parents. We have all been there, it's frustrating and embarrassing to be that parent. A little compassion instead of condemnation goes a long way.

Every single kid does not have a disability. The number of children that have some kind of disability is astounding now if you go by what you and others say. It's amazing that there are any healthy kids left now. 🙄 I have compassion for those with disabilities, but I also work with the public and see plenty of healthy kids that are not taught any discipline. They can't ALL have a disability where they are incapable of learning social behaviors. It's not the kid's behavior that is the problem, it is how the parents deal with it. Too many are ignoring the child and are on their phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter