• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Charity Auction Package Win - VIP Tour and MNSSHP Trip

Sheilaras

Earning My Ears
US: Me - 45 (bday on trip!) DH - 47, DDs - 13, 10, 5 and DSs 10, 8 + Danish au pair - 19
Dates Travelled: 10/9-14/2015

We won our most recent trip at a charity auction benefiting the American Cancer Society. Included in the package were:

6 days/5 nights for 4 people at Buena Vista Palace (I'd never stayed or even heard of it, we're usually on-property snobs)
5 park hoppers per person (20 individual 1-day park hoppers)
1 Water Park Pass pp (I had these converted to MNSSHP)
VIP tour for 8 hours

We are a party of 8, so I didn't think it would be a big deal to double the package. The hotel upgraded our room to a suite and we had to pay $99/night for the adjoining extra room. We had to buy 4 extra MNSSHP tix. We only planned on going into the parks 3 days, so we bought an extra 1 day park hopper and a 3-day park hopper for my 5 year old to maximize the savings. They let all 8 of us on the VIP tour w/out an additional charge.

I set up my MDE account and began to make ADRs and FP+ only like 2 weeks before trip. There was a lot of coordinating involved with the company we won the package through and I was waiting on them. Had huge amounts of trouble adding all my tix and assigning them to the right person. The cards would show up in one screen but the tickets didn't register in the other. After about 3+ hours with Disney help desk (no exaggeration) we got it straightened out. They said that if we were staying on property they could've sent us a gift basket or something. Boo. Decided to buy Magic Bands to coordinate our 30 hard tickets since I (and Disney help desk) thought it would be too much to manage and too easy to mix up. Plus I wanted them, so fun! I was a little nervous about how they'd stay on and losing them, especially with the littles. They came quick and I added them to MDE w/out any problem.

I was nervous about the hotel after reading reviews online. It was such a mixed bag, but there was nothing we could do about it but be positive and hope for the best. Bummed about no Magic Bands or Magical Express.

I booked the Mears van for $85 online, individual tix on their bus would've been over $230! Flight was great. Mears guy was awesome, the kids were thrilled to see someone waiting with our name on a board!

Check-in at BVP was ok, they didn't tell us where to go or anything, so some other guest showed us how to get to our room! It was in the island building, too bad the entire island was a construction zone. All the amazing pools were ripped up. Thankfully, I had read a recent review saying this was starting or I would've really been bummed out. Our room was pretty clean compared to reviews. Stains on the couch, only 1 blanket for both rooms, balcony views of whatcouldvebeenawesome pool area construction zone. People above us liked to move patio furniture around a lot at midnight and you could hear people peeing above you but other than that, no real complaints, never saw or heard anyone else.

Night 1 we went to DTD. Path was right off our building. DTD bus terminal was right across the street from path, but no crosswalk. Crosswalk was about a block walk away, building an elevated crosswalk now that is not finished yet. That will add another layer of effort to get across, you'll have to go up, cross and come back down by using stairs or elevator. Dinner ADR was at Splitsville. Sat right away but dinner took over 75 minutes to get to us, no effort from server to get us apps or bread or even crackers. Manager took care of entire bill! We left tip. DTD was crowded! I was nervous about how the parks would be the next day.

More to come!

Day 2, Saturday 10/10 - AK
Up at 7 am. Bagged cereal for breakfast. Out of room by 8. We took the DTD Hotel bus to Animal Kingdom (2nd stop). Quick stop for coffees and shared some muffins. We headed straight back to what we like to call the "Yeti" ride for our FP+. Since 5yo couldn't ride we got a switch pass and let the other kids go again with the nanny. We took our Safari ride (FP+) and was pleasantly surprised there was no poaching backstory. We were bummed that the Triceritop Spin was closed. We waited a while for Pluto, my 13yo's fav while the others played in the boneyard. It was taking too long so we all went on the Dino ride for a minimum wait. When we got out, it was pouring, so DH ran to the stroller for our ponchos. While we waited, I noticed all the new purple MagicBands. We went to Nemo since it was raining. We were the last ones in and ended up in the front row, I never realized the puppeteers actually sang, I thought it was a pre-recorded show. Rain stopped when we came out. We had a FP+ for Lion King that we didn't make it to bc the kids were freakingouthungry. Tusker does not take walk ins, so we ended up at the Flame Tree BBQ. Usually we try to not order everyone their own meal so not to waste, but we didn't and had nothing left, so that was good. Although my kids say they hate Florida grapes. We picked up some Wilderness Explorers books at some point and the kids were having a great time doing that. I wish we would've gotten them on the way in, but we were in a hurry to get to our first FP. We took the train to Rafiki's and hung out there awhile. The kids did all the WE stops while I waited in line for Chip & Dale. 5yo had a FP+ for the Mickey/Minnie Meet & Greet while the other kids went on the Yeti again. We also snuck in Dug & Russel while we waited. Kali-River Rapids was a blast and we were happy to get soaked! There wasn't a line at all for that. We hit Tough to be a Bug on our way out and got some funny pictures with the glasses. We had Mickey ice cream treats as well. Took a lot of good pictures this day and a nice family shot at the exit. Took the DTD Hotel bus home (hotel is last stop). We ordered room service for the kids and nanny and headed to DTD for dinner at Wolfgang Puck's, had some wine and had a great meal (at least I did, I don't think DH liked his). Stopped for gelato on our way back. Great day!

Day 3, Sunday 10/11 (My BIRTHDAY) - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Up again early and out the door by 8-ish. DTD Hotel bus transportation was ok, we ended up on a really nice MEARS bus for some reason. FP+ for the day are TOT, Toy Story & Indiana Jones (and Frozen Sing-a-Long for the 5yo) First stop was at Star Bucks for some coffee and breakfast. Next, we headed straight back to TOT area to see if we could get in line for Rockin' Roller Coaster since we didn't have a FP+ for that. The line was long-ish already but the kids and nanny did it and got we got a rider switch pass. After that, we split up, the nanny waited with the kids at RRC and DH & I took 5 yo to Frozen Sing-a-long. We had a FP+ for the whole family for that but the older kids begged us to do something else for them so I changed theirs at the last minute and they ended up with Indiana Jones. The Frozen Sing-a-long was EPIC! OMG, so funny!! DH & I were laughing like and singing like crazy. So sweet to hear our 5 yo singing her heart out, too! The FP+ lets you in the queue first and sits you closer to the front. We had awesome seats. After that we walked around a little bit and took pictures with Sofia the first and went window shopping. Meanwhile, the rest of the crew had the FP+ for Indiana Jones. Our nanny was picked to be an extra in the show and was super excited. She said they had to wear costumes and it was really HOT! They took down her address and are supposed to send her a DVD, so that is fun! We had 11:30 ADRs at H&V, which was good to have an early lunch after yesterday's lack of food meltdown. The kids showed up just in time and we began to feast on the buffet. Our allergy chef was pretty useless, which has not been our experience in the past. We realized that we have outgrown Disney Jr. save the 5 yo and it was not worth the $341! From lunch we went to Star Tours. We rode The Great Movie Ride, too. For a break, we let the kids run around Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground while DH & I sat and had a soda. Off to our FP+ Tower of Terror, it was great. 5 year old chickened out when we got upstairs so we had to take a service elevator down. They gave us a rider switch pass at the exit. She decided to try it after a rave review from a 4 yo, so we went up again! She insisted on going with our nanny, too, so she came up as well. We forced the rest of the crew to come back to Frozen Sing-a-long with us because we knew they'd all love it. It was a different set of "Historians" who were not as great as the first set, but still had some different jokes which made it funny. It was somewhere around here that DH decided to leave and our 8 yo son went with him. The rest of us went to our FP+ for Toy Story which had been down all day. We got popcorn and a Mickey pretzel then rode TOT and Rockin' Roller Coaster a few more times. Our bus home this time for the DTD Hotels was a Disney Cruise bus! Nice ride home. Another great day.

Day 4, Monday 10/12 (VIP Tour) - Magic Kingdom

The day of our VIP tour, we were to be picked up at our hotel at 10 AM for an 8-hour tour. We were having our guide drop us off at Epcot at 6 pm where we were to meet up with the package giver for some extra *magic* there. Our day started with a hotel breakfast buffet which wasn't too bad. The waffles were excellent! Our waitress was really nice and charged 2 of our kids as <3 and therefor free! Our guide was really nice, he drove us straight to the Magic Kingdom to the cast member area in Tomorrowland. We were greeted by another VIP tour cast member who scanned our MagicBands and we were off. We decided to forgo our stroller for this part of the trip. Our guide suggested we start off in Fantasyland so our 5 yo could experience all her magic first. We went straight to what he called the most intense ride in the park, the Tea Cups! Our guide was our never ending FP+, which was so cool. The rule was that we were only allowed to ride a ride (by going through the FP line) twice before moving on. My 2 priorities were A&E and Mine Train. After Tea Cups, we moved to Dumbo and Goofy's BarnStormer (twice). From there we did Small World, PP, Philharmagic, Pooh and Little Mermaid. We did do the SDMT twice, so cute!!! LOVED the ending! He was so cool showing us the hidden Mickey's that I've never really looked for before. If you want to know any, let me know and I'll tell you. He said there are some really epic ones. We moved straight to Haunted Mansion, which the 5 yo was pretty freaked out on. DH kept joking he was going to drag us all into the Hall of Presidents. Guide told us a good story about Obama, lol. From there we did Splash Mountain, BTM (twice) and then we stopped at Pecos Bill's for lunch. The parade was just starting and he suggested we sit outside so we could watch it. Very cool. PS (TMI) Don't get the steak, I was the only one who got sick that night! Everyone else had chicken. After lunch we did Pirates, Jungle Cruise and I dragged everyone into the Tiki Room, a personal favorite. The guide was shocked at how many people were there. We crossed the hub and went into Tomorrowland. We rode Space Mountain a few times while the guide took the little on the Wedway (TTA). Then we decided to call it at 5 pm so we could get to Epcot earlier since it was closing at 9 pm. We snuck back through the entrance behind Buzz Lightyear into the van. We drove to Epcot and parked right behind Test Track. We went into TT and made our cars, I haven't done that ride since the change and it was super cool! He left us at the exit of the ride and I really thought the day was a whirlwind with him, super intense riding day! He was really interesting and great with the kids. It was so nice to just follow someone around and not have to really make any decisions about where to go or what to do! At the end of Test Track, we were invited up into the corporate lounge area where we were treated to an amazing view, 2 private car design computers, private restrooms and a soda machine at our disposal! Seriously, so cool! The view of EPCOT from up there was incredible! We were given some FP+ to finish our day at EPCOT and I still had 3 FP+ booked for EPCOT on our MagicBands, so with just about 3 hours left, we hit the park. the kids really wanted to ride TT again immediately with their new cars they designed, each had their own by now on their MagicBands, but we moved along. We hit Nemo, Soarin', SpaceShip Earth (no thank you). I really wanted to hit the Character Spot, but DH thought I was crazy. We went back to TT so the kids could do their cars again and my 8 yo son scored the highest car of the day, which at the end of the day was cool. He was insanely proud, although he had a lot of insider info! LOL We rode the monorail (insert funny monorail song here we do) to the TTC to catch our bus back to the hotel. No dinner, ate leftovers in the suite. Another amazing day but if I had to do it over, I would schedule the VIP tour for earlier so we could finish earlier and do more at EPCOT.

Day 5, Tuesday 10/13 MNSSHP

Since we only had party tickets, we had the morning off. This is also when we were woken up early by the pool construction. :( I think this is the morning where the kids went swimming for an hour or so. The hotel only had one tiny, dirty pool open so it wasn't very fun. Breakfast was from the market at the hotel. Today's ADR was Chef Mickey at 2 pm. I figured that was a good strategy to get to a monorail (sing song) hotel and then straight into the park for the 4 pm entrance for the party night. We went to DTD shopping while DH worked in the room. We met DH at the DTD bus terminal to ride to the Contemporary. We were sat right away, had an OK meal and had a great time with all the characters. We were seated right at the window overlooking the MK, which was cool. Had a blast with all the classic characters although it was another $341 meal for a buffet. I think we are done with character dining, our family is just to large to justify the expense. (Hoop Dee Doo Review, though, totally worth it, and that is more! LOL) Hopped on the monorail (song) for the tour around to the MK. My 13 yo realized that she had forgotten her costume at the hotel, since we thought we'd be going back between DTD and Chef Mickey. She was so upset, DH volunteered to go back and get it. WOW. She cried when he left bc she felt so bad, but I knew he didn't mind doing it. Entered park right at 4 pm, got our bags and bracelets no problem. We had 3 FP+ for btwn 4-7: Space Mountain, Splash Mountain and BTM. Having just had the VIP tour here yesterday, we were really relaxed on what we wanted to do. We did all of our FP+ right away since they were all over by 7 pm, except Space Mountain since it closed when the first of us did the ride while the nanny watched the 5 yo. We had a rider switch pass for it as well as 2 now open FP+ on nanny and 5 yo. We sent them on Buzz at some point alone with their open FP+. We were able to stop and take a lot of photos that we didn't feel like we had the time for yesterday as well. The kids have been reading Swiss Family Robinson and were really excited to go up in the tree house. We went from there right over to the Merida Meet & Greet since my 13 yo looks a lot like her with her hair (big, not red). That is when DH showed up with the Pluto costume and DD was so excited to get it! The boys were just wearing Disney hoodies from Pirates and Mike W. of Monsters. The youngest was in an Anna dress and the 10 yo girl was dressed as Minnie. We were a little lame on the costumes. I had a cool glow in the dark Mickey skeleton shirt at least. The first party activity we did was the Lotso meet and greet since he is my 10 yo son's favorite. We hit the Astro Orbiters and the Tomorrowland Speedway and were able to switch drivers in the car and go a second lap. We went on Buzz as a family and the rest of the time until about 9 was a blur. I know the ride times were awesome, 5-10 minutes on most rides. At 10 pm and after several rides on BTM and SP over and over again, DH decided to leave and the 10 yo girl and 8 yo boy went willingly with him. The rest of us diehards were on BTM while the fireworks were going off and it was truly a magical moment. Next we went to Pirates. The 5 yo who didn't 100% enjoy it yesterday and I sat on Jack Sparrow's stage and waited. The fog and atmosphere were so amazing and so was the people watching with all their costumes! While we waited for them to come out, Jack appeared and we got in line. Timing was perfect when the others got off the ride, we were next for photos. We were TOT a lot after my DH left, we were filling our bags like crazy! We rode Aladdin's magic carpets and were allowed to stay on if we wanted. When we got to the hub, we began to watch the parade but realized it was 11:30 and we still had a rider switch pass for Space Mountain which was back up. The line was long bc it was shut down for a long time, so the passes were great. We rode Buzz one last time and headed out. On our way out, we did the talking Mickey, which I'd never experienced before. There was a problem with our photographer which I will chalk up to it being midnight, but Mickey didn't greet or talk to the kids, which was a big bummer. We took the Monorail (song) to the TTC where we had just missed our DTD bus. I asked a cab how much for our hotel and he said $24, so we just walked to our bus line. Another driver said he'd do it for $15 so we hopped in his taxi back to the hotel. The party was AMAZING! Not like some of the reviews I read at all. We had a blast!

Day 6, Wednesday 10/14 Home

Another day to sleep in ruined by the hotel destruction. We went to DTD for more shopping and to have lunch at Wolfgang Puck Express, which was awesome. We packed our bags and called our MEARS driver who charged us $64 to get back to the airport. We were there with plenty of time to shop in the Harry Potter store for our crazed 10 yo daughter fan. Flight home was easy, adjusting to colder weather was not.

Overall the trip was AWESOME! No immediate plans to go back yet.

We have tickets for the Halloween party on Nov. 1... hoping for a better experience than the Christmas party last year. Looks like you had a memorable trip.

Sounds like a fun trip even with the hotel construction fiasco. I will be leaving tomorrow for my trip to the World - can't wait!!!! We are starting off with the Food and Wine Festival on Thursday and MNSSHP on Friday!

We luved the halloween party every time that we have gone. Its so much fun to get dressed up and go trick or treating like a kid again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter