Character Performer Auditions

Next to impossible. If you are hired as merchandise then you will not be asked to move to entertainment. They will describe this at your audition - but less than 50% of people who audition actually make it (last year about 250 people made it out of 700-900 auditioners) - if all of those people came to the program and started auditioning again then the rest of the CP departments would be in serious trouble... so entertainment will not take any CPs until they complete their contract with their current department.

Also, you are not allowed to audition more than once every 6 months, so that stops anyone interested in auditioning for entertainment once they arrive. They also wouldn't call a recast, because as it is there is already a multi-month waiting list for people who want to be in entertainment. This waiting list is for people who passed the audition, there were just no openings in their height ranges.

On the other side however, if you are still interested in being a character perform after your program you can audition during your last month. You can use this audition to extend into a new entertainment CP or to go seasonal.

Concerning character pool only:

So if you get put into the character pool because your height range is full, as I understand it, you wait until they call you letting you know they need you and at some point you decide whether you want to wait forever or go ahead and sign on for another role... right? If you choose to wait it out, what happens if they don't call you? Could someone explain this a little better, maybe with a timeframe?

If you choose to accept a different role instead of waiting to be called, do you remain on the list for character and if they need you, they'll pull you from your current role and put you in entertainment or do you completely sign off from that when you accept your other role?

This is purely hypothetical concerning being put into a character pool because your height range is full!

Concerning character pool only:

So if you get put into the character pool because your height range is full, as I understand it, you wait until they call you letting you know they need you and at some point you decide whether you want to wait forever or go ahead and sign on for another role... right? If you choose to wait it out, what happens if they don't call you? Could someone explain this a little better, maybe with a timeframe?

If you choose to accept a different role instead of waiting to be called, do you remain on the list for character and if they need you, they'll pull you from your current role and put you in entertainment or do you completely sign off from that when you accept your other role?

This is purely hypothetical concerning being put into a character pool because your height range is full!

That's right. You have to wait until they call you. If they don't call you by the time it is time for you to leave, you would have to decide if you wanted another role (and hopefully one would be available).

If you choose another role for the CP, that would be your role for the CP.

Hi everyone. I am in the process of applying for the Disney Internship. I have my application in and my interview on Thrusday. My friend and I are going to go audition to be Character Preformers. My dream is to be Belle, but I know everyone and their mom wants to be Belle, so I'm not holding my breath but I am hopeful.

I do have several questions for y'all who have been through the audition process. I've never auditioned for anything before and I am really nervous but I think having my questions answered will help.

1) Are characters chosen just by height. Like for the Princesses are they just looked at by height or does weight go into account too. I'm not overweight at all, but I am not a stick either, I have curves and I'm scared that will hold me back from being chosen as a character.

2) For the singing part of the audition is it better to choose a more Disney-like song or reach out to show more of your range. I really like the songs from Rent, but I don't know if they are too, er, raunchy for what I'm auditioning for. I also am considering doing some songs from Wicked.

Also, did you guys have to bring your own sheet music?

3) Is it better to dress professionally or comfortably?

Hmm, I think that is it for now.

Thanks to everyone!

Hi everyone. I am in the process of applying for the Disney Internship. I have my application in and my interview on Thrusday. My friend and I are going to go audition to be Character Preformers. My dream is to be Belle, but I know everyone and their mom wants to be Belle, so I'm not holding my breath but I am hopeful.

I do have several questions for y'all who have been through the audition process. I've never auditioned for anything before and I am really nervous but I think having my questions answered will help.

1) Are characters chosen just by height. Like for the Princesses are they just looked at by height or does weight go into account too. I'm not overweight at all, but I am not a stick either, I have curves and I'm scared that will hold me back from being chosen as a character.

2) For the singing part of the audition is it better to choose a more Disney-like song or reach out to show more of your range. I really like the songs from Rent, but I don't know if they are too, er, raunchy for what I'm auditioning for. I also am considering doing some songs from Wicked.

Also, did you guys have to bring your own sheet music?

3) Is it better to dress professionally or comfortably?

Hmm, I think that is it for now.

Thanks to everyone!

1. All characters go by weight. But some do go by weight too.

2. There is no singing audition for CPs. Are you going to a CP audition?

3. I would say comfortably.

Hello! what all should the hopefuls bring? I have heard head shots and sheet music, but then I have heard no singing (thank goodness! lol) also, if it's a long day should lunch be brought? and what did everyone wear to the auditions? I am seriously nervous! lol!

Hello! what all should the hopefuls bring? I have heard head shots and sheet music, but then I have heard no singing (thank goodness! lol) also, if it's a long day should lunch be brought? and what did everyone wear to the auditions? I am seriously nervous! lol!

For CP auditions, you don't need a head shot or sheet music- just yourself.

I wore comfortable black pants and a t-shirt.

For CP auditions, you don't need a head shot or sheet music- just yourself.

I wore comfortable black pants and a t-shirt.

yay! thank you! so yoga pants are okay? or doesn't matter so long as you look respectable and can move? ;) I am so excited and I have to wait a few weeks and forever for my interview and audition! lol!

also, i don't know if this would be "cheating" but do they care if you branch out and talk to the other hopefuls?

yay! thank you! so yoga pants are okay? or doesn't matter so long as you look respectable and can move? ;) I am so excited and I have to wait a few weeks and forever for my interview and audition! lol!

also, i don't know if this would be "cheating" but do they care if you branch out and talk to the other hopefuls?

Yoga pants are fine.

It's fine. You just have to be careful what is discussed.

A headshot is not necessary, neither is a resume, but if you have previous experience, it's in your own benefit to make it known.

1. All characters go by weight. But some do go by weight too.

2. There is no singing audition for CPs. Are you going to a CP audition?

3. I would say comfortably.

1. So everything is done by your weight?

2. Yes, but I read on the audition main site about the singing. I do want to sing, do they not do that at all?

3. Thanks!

2. Yes, but I read on the audition main site about the singing. I do want to sing, do they not do that at all?

3. Thanks!

1. No. Everything is done by height. But there are a few characters where weight is important. For the others, it isn't (to an extent).

2. That is not for CPs. CPs don't have any singing roles in entertainment. The only singing roles fall under Equity (which is FT/PT).

3. You're welcome. :)

3. Thanks!

1) Not everything. Only certain characters, like face characters. Otherwise, everything *is* done by height, and often your height can make or break you when it comes to a role.

2) Roles that involved singing, like 'Voices of Liberty' are not available to CPs, only FT/PT/Seasonal Entertainment CMs, and often, it's only Equity performers who get these roles.

Thanks guys. I am like 5'6 or 5'7. I think I read back that was the height for the Princesses. :) I have some hope yet!

Hey everyone! Thanks for all the advice on the auditions.
I've applied for the Spring 09 Advantage CP. I've already had my interview and now I just have to wait for my audition. Is anyone auditioning in Chicago? If so, I'll see ya there! :)

That's right. You have to wait until they call you. If they don't call you by the time it is time for you to leave, you would have to decide if you wanted another role (and hopefully one would be available).

If you choose another role for the CP, that would be your role for the CP.

Will they tell you what role you'd be put in should you choose to not wait to be called for character performer? For example, if my second choice is Character Attendant, would they let me know if I chose to not be a performer, I would be placed as an attendant until it fills?

If I decide to stay in the character pool and don't get called before I leave for Florida, will they extend an invitation to be in a role that I didn't choose on my role checklist? For example, if I don't put custodial on my checklist, but everything else is full, could they put me in custodial last minute?

Has anyone had any experience with this and had to be put into another role last minute? What roles were left?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter