Character Meals - Are they all OOP or DDP?

I sure hope not! We're planning on using 3 TS credits and paying OOP for 2A at Chef Mickey's in September. How can the force you to use the credits? What if your credits were all used up?

As far as I've heard, you can use DDP credits for some of your party, and pay for some OOP. If a particular restaurant forces you to pay with all of one or the other, you should complain. There is no "pay with all DDP or none" clause in the DDP literature. If you can't get satisfaction at the restaurant, I'd go ahead and use DDP credits, then go to your resort service desk, and insist they credit you back the DDP credits owed to you.

JMO- I tend to get cranky about people (i.e., servers or restaurant management) interpreting the rules to suit them, and I will say so.

I was at WDW in May with a mixed group, meaning we met up with 2 other parties while we were there. We had no problem at ANY restaurant with some of us being on DDP and others paying OOP. We just told the server which of us were on the DDP and they took care of it for us. It's just like at a "regular" restaurant when you ask to split the check.

BTW, there were several instances when the server suggested that we use the DDP for the adult meals so that we would only have to pay OOP for the child meals. Totally separate issue I know, but one that gets brought up a lot around here and really, IT'S NO BIG DEAL.

We ate at MM with the Fantasmic Package and I didn't want to get my very picky, light eater 6 year old a meal and the waitress told me that because it's the package we would be charged for her anyway. We all had to eat to enjoy the package. This was in December.

Actually the brochure says
One (1) Table Service meal for each person participating in the character dining experience will be redeemed from your meal plan balance, unless otherwise noted.

It goes on to explain that CRT requires 2 TS credits.

CM is the only restaurant that I recall enforcing this provision. I suspect that until credits are separated into adult and child categories more restaurants may stop guests from paying OOP for their kids meals. That's really the reason most guests still want to pay OOP for kids meals.

One of the posters in this thread wanted to pay out of pocket for the adult meals. They might let you do this.

I tend to get annoyed with people, including restaurant servers and posters on internet discussion boards, that interpret rules to suit them and I am saying so now.

MomofKatie said:
As far as I've heard, you can use DDP credits for some of your party, and pay for some OOP. If a particular restaurant forces you to pay with all of one or the other, you should complain. There is no "pay with all DDP or none" clause in the DDP literature. If you can't get satisfaction at the restaurant, I'd go ahead and use DDP credits, then go to your resort service desk, and insist they credit you back the DDP credits owed to you.

JMO- I tend to get cranky about people (i.e., servers or restaurant management) interpreting the rules to suit them, and I will say so.

Lewisc said:
One of the posters in this thread wanted to pay out of pocket for the adult meals. They might let you do this.

I tend to get annoyed with people, including restaurant servers and posters on internet discussion boards, that interpret rules to suit them and I am saying so now.

That was me, and it was because not all of us were on the dining plan. We met up with my DD's dad & grandparents and all ate together. On days when it was me & the girls (on the plan) and DD's dad (NOT on the plan) at the table together, we just told the server that he was not on the plan and the servers were the ones who suggested we use the credit for him & pay OOP for the kid's meal, even though I had one adult & one child on my reservation (the other child was under 2). This happened at CM and at Breakfastosaurus. Both times the server said it would save us money, which it did, and that it would be fine, which it was.

Of course, this was before I discovered the DIS and knew how much people get their panties in a bunch over the DDP!

The brochure was changed in June, basically child entitlements can longer be used to purchase adult meals. Some restaurants/CM no longer let guests pay out of pocket for just kids meals. CM is one of the more expensive kids meals. Do parents want to pay for a kids meals OOP because they have more expensive kids meals planned later in the trip or because they might be planning to forget and use the banked credit for an adult meal? Disney isn't stupid.

I have no problem with what you did in May, the CM said it was OK and you followed the rules that Disney published. However your experience isn't really applicable to current guests.

Smiller was the poster who was planning to pay OOP for adult meals.

lyzziesmom said:
That was me, and it was because not all of us were on the dining plan. We met up with my DD's dad & grandparents and all ate together. On days when it was me & the girls (on the plan) and DD's dad (NOT on the plan) at the table together, we just told the server that he was not on the plan and the servers were the ones who suggested we use the credit for him & pay OOP for the kid's meal, even though I had one adult & one child on my reservation (the other child was under 2). This happened at CM and at Breakfastosaurus. Both times the server said it would save us money, which it did, and that it would be fine, which it was.

Of course, this was before I discovered the DIS and knew how much people get their panties in a bunch over the DDP!

Lewisc said:
Sorry about that- I wasn't aware of the recent changes to the Disney Dining brochure. I stand corrected. Still, kinda harsh of you, no? I guess I won't comment further for fear of annoying anyone.

No the wording I quoted was in the original brochure. I don't know why you consider my comments harsh?

I deliberately used the exact same verbiage you used when referring to restaurant employees that dared to try to enforce the plan as it's written as opposed to the way you think it is. :confused3 Look in a mirror. If you want to attack others then be right.

MomofKatie said:
Sorry about that- I wasn't aware of the recent changes to the Disney Dining brochure. I stand corrected. Still, kinda harsh of you, no? I guess I won't comment further for fear of annoying anyone.

I wasn't going to comment, but I just have to now. I wasn't "attacking" anybody, alright? Just stating my opinion of the way some CMs were trying to interpret the Plan (maybe they are all 100% well versed in it now and never make any mistakes or wrong judgements. I am not sure.). There were instances I witnessed where the CMs told people that they couldn't order certain things or couldn't pay a certain way when they were wrong . We had 2 seperate CMs at CS restaurants tell us we weren't allowed to order our child a dessert on the plan when it was allowed. We also had a CM at a TS restaurant tell us we couldn't order DD an appetizer with her childs' meal, even though there were child appetizers on the menu. So CMs make mistakes sometimes.

I believe the origional wording of the Dining brochure you quoted was referring to the fact that Character meals are all family style or buffet meals, and two people can't share there. Thus the statement saying that every person enjoying the restaurant would be charged a credit.

I still stand by my origional statement that, unless the brochure has been changed, there is no statement that expressly says that people cannot pay for some of their meals OOP and some with DDP credits. Show me a statement on the brochure that says that, and I will apologize to everyone involved.

MomofKatie said:
I believe the origional wording of the Dining brochure you quoted was referring to the fact that Character meals are all family style or buffet meals, and two people can't share there. Thus the statement saying that every person enjoying the restaurant would be charged a credit.

I still stand by my origional statement that, unless the brochure has been changed, there is no statement that expressly says that people cannot pay for some of their meals OOP and some with DDP credits. Show me a statement on the brochure that says that, and I will apologize to everyone involved.

I already quoted it.

One (1) Table Service meal for each person participating in the character dining experience will be redeemed from your meal plan balance, unless otherwise noted

It doesn't say pay cash or one credit will be deducted, it says one credit will be deducted.

I'm sorry some CM tried to cheat your child out of a dessert but that wasn't the point you were making in your original post.

Okay, a little O/T but, we will have 4 credits left when we dine at CRT, which is a double credit meal. Will they let me pay 1/2 OOP or what will happen?

Lewisc said:
I already quoted it.

One (1) Table Service meal for each person participating in the character dining experience will be redeemed from your meal plan balance, unless otherwise noted

It doesn't say pay cash or one credit will be deducted, it says one credit will be deducted.

I'm sorry some CM tried to cheat your child out of a dessert but that wasn't the point you were making in your original post.
It is exactly the point I was making in the origional post... that some CMs (whether just ignorant or trying to "save" their restaurant from being "taken advantage of") were interpreting the DDP in their own way, without being sure of the explicit, Disney- verified way the plan was meant to be used. They were taking it upon themselves to tell customers how to use the plan based on how they guessed the plan was supposed to work without knowing for sure first.

And the Dining brochure states that one credit will be charged for a character meal- it also states that 2 credits will be charged for a Signature meal, and 2 credits will be charged for a Dinner Show. The reason? They are clarifying how much each type of meal "costs" on the plan- nowhere do they say "you must use DDP credits for each member of your party dining in x restaurant. Just that said restaurant is a 1 credit "charge" to eat there.

I guess we interpret the Plan differently (and face it: we are BOTH interpreting- unless you or I actually work for Disney, we don't know the explicit intent of each and every word of the brochure). I am just being very literal in looking at what exactly is stated and not stated in the brochure.

Am I wrong in thinking that "unless otherwise noted" could mean unless you TELL the CM otherwise, as in "Sally and Jim are on the plan, but Bob and Nancy will be paying cash because they didn't buy the plan"? This makes perfect sense AND works within the guidelines of the plan, and I believe is what the OP was asking. I don't know, I've kind of lost track of how this all started.

lyzziesmom said:

Wow, I see your point. I simply asked a question because this is our first trip to WDW and I am unfamiliar with the DDP. I wasn't expecting this.

Lewisc said:
I suspect that until credits are separated into adult and child categories more restaurants may stop guests from paying OOP for their kids meals. That's really the reason most guests still want to pay OOP for kids meals.

That was not the intent of my question. I never said anything about A vs. C credits. I posted a thread earlier http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1164946 and the question was never answered. So, I simply asked again. Don't be so quick to judge.

Well...not really:

From the FAQ page of the June '06 dining brochure:
Q. Must I use exactly 1 Table Service, 1 Quick Service and 1 Snack each night of my package stay?
A. No, for maximum flexibility, meal entitlements can be used whenever you like during your package stay. For example, one night
you may wish to hold off using a Table Service meal then the following night use 2 Table Service meals to dine at a Signature
Restaurant or Dinner Show.

it doesn't say "your party may wish to" it says "you may wish to"

beattyfamily said:
We ate at MM with the Fantasmic Package and I didn't want to get my very picky, light eater 6 year old a meal and the waitress told me that because it's the package we would be charged for her anyway. We all had to eat to enjoy the package. This was in December.

In order to get admission to the special section at Fantasmic, I could see why they require everyone to buy the package. Otherwise, your child would have to be seated with the open seating.

I really think most of the confusion stems from the fact that the DDP brochure changed in June and it now states that "child meal entitlements (ages 3-9) CAN NOT be used for adult meals" plus the whole "non-transferrable" thing.

Recent posts since the verbage change support that these changes are being implemented by CM's and restaurant managers. For example, CM's not allowing diners to order OVER the number of meals on their card. If your card says 2A/2C, the CM's AND managers are not allowing people to pay oop for the kids and treat Grandma (3A meals) with the plan, even if you have the extra credits.

I think what is happening is that posters are asking questions about the dining plan and other posters who used the plan in May, several months ago, last year, etc. are answering honsetly and trying to be helpful. :) They may not be aware of the changes to the brochure, and are really just trying to help. I do think people get a little worked up about the DDP, but I wouldn't want to be given incorrect info and then get to Disney and have CM's tell me I can't do something I had planned for months. These posters are trying to help too! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter