Changing Vacation Dates due to Irma impact (add your story if you want)

peabody58

I'm just a drummer in a R&R Band!!
DW and I have plans to drive down from Atlanta area to visit Brother/SIL in Polk City, FL 9/15 and then stay 5 nights at Cabana Bay starting Sunday 9/17. Our UT 3 day P/P US/IOA tickets expire 11/21/17. So with the pending Irma impact, we are on the fence as whether or not to change our vacation dates.

We have until the end of Monday 9/11 to cancel our Sept CB reservations. As a pre-emptive Plan B, I just snagged CB reservations for 11/5 - 11/10 for only $87 more. Hoping we still won't need Express Pass, but if we do, we'll deal with that later. No rooms were available (at an affordable rate) in the premium resorts.

We are concerned about 16 mln people trying to return at the same time we are arriving, and the additional strain on local resources. As we are driving down from the Atlanta area, I already know it will take 11 - 12 hrs (normally 5-6 hrs) with the returning traffic and shortages of gas are a concern. I'm also concerned about how much damage will be done and re-booking to Nov will give time for some return to normalcy. I'll be closely watching through Monday before we make a final decision.

Update 9/9 11:30: We decided to pull the plug and cancel our 9/17 reservation. Just not worth the stress of worrying about all the uncertainties. We'll have fun in Nov for sure.

Last edited:
Hi I am glad to hear that you made a decision and are happy with it. I agree who needs stress like that before a vacation. I would have done the same thing.

We had to cancel our 9/10-15 stay at SSR due to Irma and there is nothing available through DVC there until March. We were crushed. However we had planned a May trip to Universal so DH suggested we flip flop and do USO in November and SSR in May.

We booked a SMSM rate of $1200 for Cabana Bay, 2 adults, 11/6-10 with 3 park p2p tix for 4 days. We are very excited! I hope the rate is good but honestly I don't care. We need this vacation bad.

We booked a SMSM rate of $1200 for Cabana Bay, 2 adults, 11/6-10 with 3 park p2p tix for 4 days. We are very excited! I hope the rate is good but honestly I don't care. We need this vacation bad.

That's the same time period we re-booked for CB, except we arrive one day earlier. I was really surprised they had Standard Rooms at CB still available and at a very reasonable price. We will be at BLT in May. Enjoy your vacation, I know we will!

We are due to drive from NC on Friday 9/15 and hopefully arrive on 9/16 for a week ..... we are also worried about the gas and traffic ..... we will not be able to rebook for a long time .... what's the census on here for cancelling or taking out time and getting there when we can ??

We had reservations for Sept 14 thru the 18th and I stressed over them so much due to the thousands of Floridia folks that are here. I was worried Thursday we would be heading to Orlando and all those people would be heading home. We live in Locust Grove right by 75 and it has been horrible for a week. It's sad so many people had to flee with nothing but what they can fit in there vehicle. Anyway, I was able to change my reservations to Next Thursday through Monday but on Thurs we have to Stay off site cause they didn't have a room available which is ok since we were not doing the parks on Thurs. The room rate went up of course but what can you do. The traffic here is just a nightmare. A friend's friend came from Orlando to Stockbridge and it took 17 hrs..... nope can't do that and its sad anyone has too

... The traffic here is just a nightmare. A friend's friend came from Orlando to Stockbridge and it took 17 hrs..... nope can't do that and its sad anyone has too

Have fun on your re-booked vacation. We're next door here in Griffin, and 19/41 and all other roads south are slow crawls right now. I-75 South is starting to fill up. Gas shortages reported in southern GA which is where most need to re-fill. Should be a lot better for you next week.

Have fun on your re-booked vacation. We're next door here in Griffin, and 19/41 and all other roads south are slow crawls right now. I-75 South is starting to fill up. Gas shortages reported in southern GA which is where most need to re-fill. Should be a lot better for you next week.

I know, I was so stressed about traffic I knew it was going to be bad but it's insane. All the back roads were horrible too. It's sad all those people just trying to get home not knowing what they are going home too. Hope the kids go back Thursday since they are out all next week for fall break.

We have a res for PBR for the week of 9/25. We are in NY and my wife is panicking and thinks we should postpone. Is there any reason that any of you think we should or just stay the course?

We have a res for PBR for the week of 9/25. We are in NY and my wife is panicking and thinks we should postpone. Is there any reason that any of you think we should or just stay the course?

That would seem unnecessary. Touringplans.com says there WILL be an initial spike in crowds at the park after a hurricane, but it subsides after about 10 days. Travel will be back to normal well before then as will all park operations.

Hoping we still won't need Express Pass, but if we do, we'll deal with that later. No rooms were available (at an affordable rate) in the premium resorts.

I'm going around the same time and staying at CBBR. No crowd calendar I've seen has indicated Express passes are really needed during that time. You're going right after HHN ends and before the Thanksgiving rush, which is exactly why I chose the same time frame.

I personally think too many people don't do the math on the real cost of the premium resorts with Express included versus staying at CBBR, and weigh it against whether that benefit is really needed during slow times of the year.

I'm going around the same time and staying at CBBR. No crowd calendar I've seen has indicated Express passes are really needed during that time. You're going right after HHN ends and before the Thanksgiving rush, which is exactly why I chose the same time frame.

I personally think too many people don't do the math on the real cost of the premium resorts with Express included versus staying at CBBR, and weigh it against whether that benefit is really needed during slow times of the year.

We just couldn't justify bumping our reservation up to deluxe and the big increase in cost for Express. There are only 2 of us, and this seems to be a slowish time of year. Plus, waiting ain't a big deal for us.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter