Castaway Cay critters

Jaylie

DIS Veteran
We'll be on the Dream next week for a Double Dip to CC. Will there be jelly fish in the water? How about sea lice? I've heard about that, but we've never been there before, so I'm just curious!

I have never experienced sea lice. There is always a chance of jelly fish here or there, like any other creature of the sea. If you see one, marvel in it's beauty from a respectful distance like you would any other creature. It pays to always be aware of your surroundings as well (acknowledging that sometimes, stuff happens despite our best efforts). I am envious of your double opportunity!

We'll be on the Dream next week for a Double Dip to CC. Will there be jelly fish in the water? How about sea lice? I've heard about that, but we've never been there before, so I'm just curious!
Some people have a problem with sea lice in spring & summer on CC, others don't. If you do a search on the topic, you'll find some threads.

1959348_10152205888361321_573697127_n.jpg

Always like when these threads come up, so that I can repeat my story:
At Serenity Bay, I am on the beach, and DW is on a raft about 20 yards out. I start walking out to take her picture and all the little fish around me scatter. I start looking around and see a 2-3 foot Black Tip shark cruising through the water. Picture did not come out due to angle of sun and reflection off the water. My DW is splashing the water with her hands to move the raft, so I tell her to stop because I see a shark. So what does DW do, she jumps off the raft and makes a bigger splash. The shark turns towards her. I have to run to get between her and the shark.

Checkout this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2371788
this thread is originally from 2010 but has pictures of sharks and other sea life taken at CC.

I keep forgetting to ask you... what did you do when you got between your DW and the shark? Obviously, it came out okay or your story would be very different.

I keep forgetting to ask you... what did you do when you got between your DW and the shark? Obviously, it came out okay or your story would be very different.
The shark turned away, DW came onshore and waited until it cleared the area before going back in.
Other passengers heard what was going on and followed the shark around the swimming area to "see" what it did.

Last edited:
We saw a blind stingray swim by us accompanied by his guiding companion (a fish) -- CM told us their story; seen barracuda, jelly fish and lots of cute little fish. Never had a sea lice problem and we have been to CC 8 times in both spring and winter.

When we we're there in November 2015 we never had any sea lice or jelly fish problems but we did get to see the biggest hermit crab I've ever seen (grape fruit sized) walking around under the water in it's shell. Several people saw it and some picked it up but don't think you're supposed to.

The shark turned away, DW came onshore and waited until it cleared the area before going back in.
Other passengers heard what was going on and followed the shark around the swimming area to "see" what it did.
You have to wonder about people sometimes. I'm assuming it all was well, which means the next time they came upon a shark they probably also followed it. :sad2:

We saw a blind stingray swim by us accompanied by his guiding companion (a fish) -- CM told us their story; seen barracuda, jelly fish and lots of cute little fish. Never had a sea lice problem and we have been to CC 8 times in both spring and winter.
Blind stingray and his guide fish? I want to hear more of that story....

You have to wonder about people sometimes. I'm assuming it all was well, which means the next time they came upon a shark they probably also followed it. :sad2:

Blind stingray and his guide fish? I want to hear more of that story....

He swam by us on the adult side and this mid-size fish was riding by his side, every once in a while hitting his side bodily to steer him. We were really surprised to see a stingray so close to shore. A CM came by because apparently the stingray had escaped from his enclosure and he was keeping watch, and he told us the story. Said the fish had been with him for quite a while now and he was one of their oldest stingrays. It was a very cute site I must admit. We were never concerned because the stingray was oblivious to anyone being around.

He swam by us on the adult side and this mid-size fish was riding by his side, every once in a while hitting his side bodily to steer him. We were really surprised to see a stingray so close to shore. A CM came by because apparently the stingray had escaped from his enclosure and he was keeping watch, and he told us the story. Said the fish had been with him for quite a while now and he was one of their oldest stingrays. It was a very cute site I must admit. We were never concerned because the stingray was oblivious to anyone being around.
Isn't nature something? People say fish can't remember anything, but here's a fish that has made it his life's work to essentially care for another species. I'm sure there's some symbiosis with it, but still. That's complex behaviour. Awesome!

I've seen jellyfish in the snorkeling lagoon, and during one February visit at Serenity Bay we had sea lice covering EVERYTHING. We left after that discovery, but didn't have that problem again on our next visit.

In multiple cruises and multiple days spent at Castaway Cay, I have never come across creatures that are harmful. It really depends how currents are pushing the waters that day and days leading into being at Castaway Cay. Be mindful and keep your distance from the creatures in the mentioned post and you should be fine.

Every visit to Serenity Bay has been different. A couple years ago, there were quite a few Needle fish jumping around. They were a little freaky.

Every visit to Serenity Bay has been different. A couple years ago, there were quite a few Needle fish jumping around. They were a little freaky.

Yes, each visit is a new experience. So great!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter