~*~Cassie LIVE~*~ Day One ~ Hard Rock & Getting There

>>^..^<<

Flat Cat
We are here ~ YEAH!! LIVE from the Hard Rock, Universal.

Here is Day One - Saturday Aug 16th.

The Cast

Cassie - 38 - Mom and former travel agent, planning is what I do.
Noel - 9 - Thinks she is a princess and everything is free. :rolleyes:

The Plan - 6 nights Hard Rock Club Level, 7 nights Beach Club Concierge, 3 nights AKL Concierge and a few extra goodies along the way.

~~~~~

The alarm went off and we leaped out of bed and started dressing.

The Airport Limo arrived for us - funny, the number on the towncar is "666" I joke with the driver and he says "Don't worry ma'am, I have a bible in the glovebox" After a day of power outages and major stress I find the 666-mobile limo number very fitting. :eek:

We arrive at a crowded but very orderly Terminal II at Toronto's International Airport. I am expecting total chaos as most flights on Friday were cancelled, to my surprise it is not bad at all. In fact - WAY better than last time I flew.

I put Noel in the express check in line with our trolly of luggage and go to the express machines that efficiently spat out our bording passes with one swipe of my Aeroplan card. :)

We are in line with other relieved travellers who were also expecting the worst. Moments later an airport worker came by offering us complimetary bottled water, wow. :) We breezed through check in into the next section.. US Customs, which is pretty well deserted taking all of 5 minutes but gave me a moment to chat with a girl from Ottawa who was on her way to the Disney Cruise.

Customs was completed and then we were on to security to be xrayed and scanned. As we had a cell phone, camera, laptop and DVD player.. it took about 20 minutes for a fellow wearing a turban who did not speak english to decide we were no threat to our fellow passengers and he set us free.

We got to the gate in record time and still had 60 minutes to departure. I set Noel up with her DVD player in a quiet corner near a big plant, she was sitting on the carpet and I went to get us a drink and a snack... when I returned there were 4 kids sitting with her and they were all watching Harry Potter. :) The DvD player was a big hit, parents thanked me for entertaining their children - Noel was the belle of the ball.

The flight was great - Noel got a kids meal of chicken fingers and fries and a brownie - she was thrilled.(I don't remember ordering it) We watched Shrek on the plane with her DVD and we were in Orlando before we knew it. The flight left about 40 minutes late and arrived maybe 15 minutes late - I was so happy considering just 18 hours prior no flights were operating.

Our luggage was on the belt when we arrived at the baggage claim as was a little tiny woman from Happy Limo who had my name on a sign... she whisked us to her town car, thankfully not a "666" and we were at the Hard Rock at 2:15pm.

The front desk had no line - our room was ready - I had requested a poolview and recieved a great room 7046 - just a short walk from the Club Lounge and a gorgeous poolview with 2 queen size beds. I did not ask about upgrades... I did not ask about loews welcome gifts, I did not ask about kids gifts... I really just wanted to get to the pool. :)

We had booked a cabana for today - the yellow submarine themed one, so after dropping our bags and having a look at our room we headed for the cabana. It was great.. we spent the whole afternoon/evening there and had lunch, there was a fridge full of drinks, a big fruit bowl, towels and 2 float rafts.

The pool was great and we were there till 7:30pm. Actually I popped up to the room to unpack and left Noel playing with a bunch of kids having a great time. By the way - the cabana has a TV and it was neat to watch it during our lunch and also during a brief rainfall of about 20 minutes this afternoon.

At 8pm we dried off and changed and caught a water taxi to citywalk which was packed... we looked around and came back to the Club Lounge where tonights gourmet offerings were Chocolate and Vanilla puddings, oreos, chocolate chip cookies and rice krispie squares. City walk is so pretty at night, all the palm tree trunks are wrapped with lights. :)

About the Hard Rock - it is beautiful hotel, great staff (so far) pool..etc.. very clean, room is normal size.. nice bathroom, 2 sinks, outside and inside, lots of drawers and a good size closet. 3 big chairs and a star shaped stool that Noel has claimed.

The slide at the pool is long and fast.. Noel was really enjoying it - personally I find the pool really shallow, and smaller then the Royal Pacific's pool. Gardens are beautiful, fountains and rock and roll stuff is cool... music everywhere. Lunch was good, just hot dogs and fries... we skipped dinner as lunch was so late.

I also want to let you know there is a dog on the club floor that is barking incessantly.. it is about 4 doors down and won't shut up. So FYI this is not a pet free zone. One of those little annoying dogs.. like a ****zu, shizhu? (spelling?)

Thanks for reading... tomorrow we hit the parks :)

Goodnight from the Hard Rock

>>^..^<<

Great to hear that you are at the resort. So far things are looking great for you. I will be looking for your reports. Make sure to update us daily. Have an awesome vacation!!!!!!!!

By the way, you posted Sunday, but today is Saturday......I know, you've had a long day....LOL.

Looking forward to your reports!

So you liked the cabana???? Is it different from the regular cabanas!!!!! Try to take pictures of it if you can!!!

That dog is STILL barking!

Thanx Spidey - its Saturday not Sunday!

>>^..^<<

PS.. yes I took pics of the cabana... it is the same on the outside except the lounge chairs are yellow and they are chained together with chains and a decorative life preserver :p

On the inside - it is yellow, the ceiling has paintings of the beatles and the words to the song around the frieze (spelling) On the back wall there is paintings of the submarine :)

The TV armoir is also yellow... it is really cool, I had many people stop by to chat with me today, nice families from Baltimore and Dallas.

>>^..^<<

You made it! Sounds like all is well at the Hard Rock! Keep having fun!

Glad you made it!
We will all be living vicariously through you for the next few weeks!

Hi Pal!
Sound like you had a great first day. Hayley is so jealous! I'm still debating taking the DVD player with us. I'm assuming from your 20 minutes going through security that you had to turn everything on? Did you just run it off the battery the whole time?

Have a great day today. Looking forward to hearing all about it!

Wow SuAnne... you posted for me :) a rare and wonderous thing!

The DVD, was on batteries and I had to turn it on.... but my laptop had to be plugged in and turban-boy made me plug it in, he was the only unpleasant and stern person I encountered of the whole day and he made me feel guilty for some reason. LOL

Well, it's 8:00am and Spiderman just woke me up to tell me I was needed at the park.. I better get going, it's a gorgeous sunny day here - not a cloud in the sky... so far.

Thanx to well wishes who wrote me, See you tonight for Day 2

>>^..^<<

Was thinking about you guys all day!

Went down to the Humber last night to do laundry!LOL

JUST KIDDING!

What's the long term weather forecast like?

Glad you are enjoying your "Banana"!

Are you getting those Chickens ready?

Scratch
:smooth:

Maybe your adventure can keep me from obsessing about my own starting 9/12! Keep it up!!! Thanks for your info.

By the way - I heard on the radio this week that they were beefing up security for electronic devices on airplanes. No joke.

Very lucky person gald u where not held up by any delays enjoy your stay very jealous:jester:

Glad everything went well on the departure. As I said earlier - don't trash the place, we'll be there Thursday. :)

- Mike

Thanks for taking the time to post while you're on vacation! I'm enjoying your posts -- haven't been to the HRH yet but it's coming soon, and your posts are getting me psyched!

Little dogs can be so nippy, can't they?!

Hi! you are making me very excited for our upcoming trip in October! Remember me? Emailing back and forth for a while regarding the cruise we are going on? Well now I have Universal/RPR questions, since I see that you stayed there last year? I didn't know you are a former travel agent, me too! I actually managed a travel agency here years ago. It was fun but a lot of work. So far your trip sounds excellent! We will be on Club Level at the RPR, (I upggraded from the entertainment rate, getting the Fan Club rate!) Anyway, I was told that there are no pets allowed on the Club level floor...Is the whole building club level, or is it just the floor that the lounge is on? If so, I wonder why the yappy dog is on your floor?

We don't have a portable dvd player, don't they have those to rent on certain flights? If you don't mind me asking, where did you get yours and how much was it? (I don't know what a good price would be if we decide to get one).

The evening goodies sound very kid friendly, it sounds like the Poly concierge (where we will be moving to after our Universal stay) will have a little more adult offerings....my kids will be thrilled though! Or maybe RPR has a different assortment?

Regarding the cabana, do you request all those items to be there or do they automatically stock it? Is the price of the extras inclusive in the cabana, or do you pay separately for all the items?

Is the wake up call similar to WDW then where a character will call? Thanks for putting up with all my nitpicky questions! I'm very detail oriented, so this will help!! Kelly in Alaska

Hi Cassie,

Glad to hear your finally in Orlando! We will be at the HRH Club Level in November so I can't wait to hear all the details! Have fun at the Beach Club! We were there last week and had a great time! Can't wait till get back to Orlando! Do youknow what # cabana you had?

Maryann

Cassie, keep us posted, I love serial trip reports. Has the dog shut up yet? What was your score on MIB? Glad your flight was good, I was concerned about you guys! How was Shrek? Keep the info coming! We just got back from Williamsburg and already I am on holiday withdrawal, so I will re-enjoy Hark Rock and Universal through you guys.

Oh - I can't wait to read your next installment! I am eager to see your AKL concierge reports as well - I follow them on other boards as well and you are one of my AKL concierge inspirations!!:) We were at HRH over the 4th of July weekend and we ejoyed the Yellow Submarine cabana as well- too bad we didn't get any rafts :smooth: but isn'
t the hotel gorgeous? Have you been in the restroom near the lobby? It's FABU!
Have fun!
Liz

Definitely fill us in on the club level. People have reported that at the HRH it's not all it's cracked up to be. Your report may be my deciding factor on club level or not for my trip....no pressure... LOL

Cass -
I am very happy for you that the big Blackout did not slow down your trip!

You are great for posting while you are there!!! It is so much fun to be home and reading....O.K., not as much fun as being there. But I do feel very guilty about how little I've gotten out in trip reports!

Knowing nothing about Universal's hotels, I am intrigued by this "cabana" thing. Do tell!

Keep having a super time.
And really, a dog? Wow, I can't ell my kids or they will forswear Disney and want to go to Universal so they can bring thier dog!:eek:
Tammy

Hi alaskantwinks :)
Hope this helps

Originally posted by alaskantwinks
Hi! you are making me very excited for our upcoming trip in October! Remember me? Emailing back and forth for a while regarding the cruise we are going on? Well now I have Universal/RPR questions, since I see that you stayed there last year? I didn't know you are a former travel agent, me too! I actually managed a travel agency here years ago. It was fun but a lot of work. So far your trip sounds excellent! We will be on Club Level at the RPR, (I upggraded from the entertainment rate, getting the Fan Club rate!) Anyway, I was told that there are no pets allowed on the Club level floor...Is the whole building club level, or is it just the floor that the lounge is on? If so, I wonder why the yappy dog is on your floor?

We don't have a portable dvd player, don't they have those to rent on certain flights? If you don't mind me asking, where did you get yours and how much was it? (I don't know what a good price would be if we decide to get one).

My DVD player was with tax etx.. about 600.00 Canadian.. or 450.00USD... I am not sure if you can rent them on flights, then had a movie on our flight - but this is better!

The evening goodies sound very kid friendly, it sounds like the Poly concierge (where we will be moving to after our Universal stay) will have a little more adult offerings....my kids will be thrilled though! Or maybe RPR has a different assortment?
It is not as good as any Disney concierge service, there are no fine desserts like cheesecakes, tarts, etc... last nights selection was packaged cookies like oreos and chips ahoy, even the rice krispie treats were not home made. I missed what they had tonight - it might have been better.

Regarding the cabana, do you request all those items to be there or do they automatically stock it? Is the price of the extras inclusive in the cabana, or do you pay separately for all the items?

the soda,water,towels,tv and fruit come with the price of the cabana :)

Is the wake up call similar to WDW then where a character will call? yes! they also have popeye, bettyboop, dennis the menice etc...

Thanks for putting up with all my nitpicky questions! I'm very detail oriented, so this will help!! Kelly in Alaska

Sorry if I am being brief here... this laptop is hard to type on and my trip report tonight killed my hands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter