"Carousel of Progress" Closing?

Nanu57v said:
I disagree with the "youth can't relate" feeling. I'm 25 now, but COP has been one of my favorite rides my whole life.

I'm with you Nanu this has always been one of my favorites im 22 yrs old and a trip to disney world is not complete unless ive been on this show... i even have pictures of my and grandpa sitting in the tub and with the wife and husband cooking christmas dinner in the final show scene ( i was a CM from frontierland and we "snuck" back stage on a bunch of rides before our CP program was over to get pictures that we had always wanted)

Although I agree that it is a classic, I can understand why they might want to close it. When we were on it in March it shut down three times during the same ride! It was quite frustrating.

Hello: Just curious, I read from one of the above posters that cop stopped and they were stuck inside it for about an hour.

Can't a cm open up the doors and let people out if it breaks down so your not stuck for an hour. Or another thought do the doors not open, what if there was a fire inside and the cm was outside, like they were when we rode it last april. How would one get out. I also love the ride. I really loved world of motion and they took that one away especially the wells fargo stagecoach in it.

Deb.

COP has always been one of my favorite rides. Now my kids 15 and 10 y.o love it as well. When ever we speak about WDW somewhere in the conversation "A great big beautiful tomorrow" breaks out and we all start to sing it. Can't wait until April, I'm hoping COP will be open then.

I am 30 years old and I too love COP :love: I know that it is an older ride that doesn't even come close to exhibiting any of the thrilling technology that Disney adds to it's rides today-however, I think that by any standards it is a Disney classic and should remaian where it is (even on a limited schedule). I have always thought that COP was in a bad place. It is so easy to walk buy it and not even realize that it is there. I bet if disney advertised it as the classic that it is (especially during the upcoming celebration in 2005) that it would receive a great deal more attention. How many of you walked by this attraction for years before you realized it was actually there??? :earseek:

Actually, I always kind of thought it would be a good fit at Epcot. It started at the World's Fair and it seemed like it would fit with other themed rides such as Spaceship Earth, Horizons and WOM that celebrate (or should I say celebrated) our technology and cultural development. I think you have a good point though. It is easily missed, especially since it is so rarely open. People want to experience it, but they just give up after a while.

I finally got to see COP again. This was my fourth trip since 2000 and it was not operating any of the times I was there. I went on it two different days last week. On the second day it repeated one scene twice. I still love it and remember how great it was many years ago. I don't think it should ever be shut down but should be kept in memory of Walt Disney.

My GK rode the CoP for the first time last summer ... my 9 y.o. grandson LOVED it ... he was very disappointed that it was malfunctioning when we tried to ride it in October ... hope it's still up and running in December.

Yes, it's outdated, but my GK enjoyed looking back to the past.

Our family loves COP also. It broke down on Mon. when we watched it. We watched the 1st scene 2 times. Someone got up and left and the CM got mad.

Yes, it's outdated...

...I can understand why they might want to close it. When we were on it in March it shut down three times during the same ride! It was quite frustrating.

Of course if they maintained it properly, and gave it an update every so often perhaps we wouldn't see as many of these comments, and perhaps it would be a tad more popular...

But ultimately, I'm in complete agreement with gcurling when he says:
I have no idea what Walt's reaction would be. But, if forced to place a bet - I'd say had he lived to be 100, CoP would have been closed years ago to make way for something that fit the bill of "never finished", "always changing."

I'd hate to see CoP close down, it was one of the first rides I ever rode in the MK. But, times do change. That was a biggie for Walt, progress (as in CoP...) :rockband:

Nanu57v said:
I disagree with the "youth can't relate" feeling. I'm 25 now, but COP has been one of my favorite rides my whole life.

::yes::

WDW is NOT just for 3-5 year-olds :) . Walt Disney had a vision of a family park, not one geared soley to toddlers of course. That's why there is such a variety at the parks--there's an attraction to please everyone in the family.

:wave2:

In MY dream world, where I am in charge of the show, I would fix the mechanics and change thte final scene every couple of years to reflect new technology.

Speaking of appeal across ages, my dh and I and our dd9, dd6, ds4 all love that ride. The variety and theming of the rides is the reason to go to Disney. If we wanted just coasters, we'd stay in Ohio.

In MY dream world, where I am in charge of the show, I would fix the mechanics and change thte final scene every couple of years to reflect new technology.
Yup. The connection between past and present never goes out of date if the references to the present don't go out of date.

I would be very sad to see CoP dismantled. Animatronics has a history that started with a mouse. I hope that history is preserved.

Remember its "Just a dream away".

When we went in Dec., I asked the CM working the ride if the "rumors" were true. He said, "Not by what I have heard." He said he had been told that WDW was about to shut it down and refurbish it...including a complete update of the last scene. Who knows if it is true, but it sure made me feel better. DH had never been on it, and my dd(3) LOVED it!! I sure would like to ride it a few more times, either way!!!

:wave:

Beca

According to the WDW website it is "supposed" to be open when we go next week. I hope so. I agree that the location is all wrong. If it had more signage....or if they put it in a more obvious location. I had been to WDW 3 times before I did the college program in 2001, and had never even noticed it. When I rode it the first time, I fell in love with it. I doubt it would ever be shut down permanatly. The cast members love it too much!

Since when does Disney {Eisner} care what CMs want? Witness the new contract.....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter