Carolfoys last trip - all in one thread - PICS ADDED!!

carolfoy

<font color=cc6633>One has Ones hat and One's orf.
Ok I'll start in the pre-trip waffle stages.
Its monday 18th september and there are 5 home sleeps and 1 Gatwick sleep to go. Excited? you betcha!
The gang this year will be Myself (35 - how did that happen?) Mum, (60) this year and Callum (10 - he had his birthday just before we went last year so he's chuffed he can tell everyone he's been twice in his tenth year)
My father once more refuses to come which is sad because I know he'd love it.
Anyway last years trip with the Pattersons was supposed to be our last to WDW for a while but as it was our first time on site and we had such an amazing time etc, etc it didn't take long before I started looking around at prices again. In fact I think all of December was taken up with my personal research! that's ok, I'm a travel agent so it was on-the-job training. To be honest most package prices seemed to have shot up in comparison to what we paid last year so I looked at individual component prices. Short time later I realised I can't justify paying that amount to go back to somewhere I've been before.
Christmas came and went, mid january and I noticed a TCD advert in a sunday paper offering 14 days Pop century for £299 a head - could it be true? yup! bargain city, with upgrades and tickets (special offer at £149 for 14 days) we've paid less than 2k. which was about £1500 less than Virgin not including the park tickets.
So, we're off agin, the only other change came when I noticed the announcement re All Star Movies pool being in refurb, a quick call to TCd and £50 amendment fee and we're changed to Pop, admittedly I could have waited until they informed me of the pool refurb and changed for free but it was £50 well spent in my eyes to guarantee another resort.
Another change came when I decided to change for the second week, I'd fancied the look of French Quarter for a while (actually I fancied the look of Poly concierge more but this was always supposed to be a cheapie) so another quick call and we're moving for the second week. This will remain a surprise for my mum, I'm pretty certain she'll love POFQ.
The plans to finally venture out to Universal and IOA are on hold as we just decided to see when we get there, but to be honest I'm pretty certain we won't even go - sorry Universal fans, I know I should but just can't tear myself away from Disney.

Now we're less than a week away. Matisse my killer-cat-from-hell has been booked into the only cattery in the country that will take her, The suitcases are basically packed. We're waiting to see if hand luggage rstrictions are lifted so Callum can take his wheelie rucksack with portable dvd player, gameboy and assorted bumph only children need. that's pretty much it so far.
Saturday will be a cattery trip, another clean through the house, top up the suitcases with last minute essentials and pick up Mum who will be working in the morning. We'll catch our train from Exeter around 2 or 3 o'clock and stay overnight in the Gatwick Hilton. Sunday we fly out at 12 and as long as it doesn't turn out to be like last years trip where we turned up at LGW to find the computers had crashed and we were delayed for hours, we should be there around 4:30 pm.

that's all for now, I'll update as and when.

Yessss ~ Another trip report.

Excellent start Carol ~ Can't wait to hear all about your travels to the Mouse House.

Carolfoys last trip

:rotfl:

Until next year I bet!! ;)

jen_uk said:
Carolfoys last trip

Until next year I bet!! ;)

Well, That's the problem with you Jen - you know me too well :rotfl2:

Great start, Carol. You are showing me up - we only have three sleeps left, and whilst we have started the packing, but I haven't packed my clothes yet!!!!

ArielJasmine princess:

carolfoy said:
......I think all of December was taken up with my personal research! that's ok, I'm a travel agent so it was on-the-job training......... (actually I fancied the look of Poly concierge more but this was always supposed to be a cheapie)...........

Looking forward to hearing about the trip when you get back :surfweb:

Great start, I look forward to hearing all about your holiday when you get back :thumbsup2

Great start hon, have the most wonderful time and cant wait to hear all about it when you get back. :grouphug: :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Looking forward to the rest! POFQ does look good :teeth:

:sunny:

Jodie

enjoy your holiday
looking forward to hearing all about it

Have a great time - I'll be interested what you think of the resorts (as I'm nosey!)

.. had a meet the teacher thing at Cals school yesterday afternoon and it did not go well! I am :furious: let me explain..
Callum is extremely bright, the first 5 years at school his numeracy, literacy etc averages were like 18 months ahead of his year, ho hum, how chuffed am I? but this last year he hasn't just gone apathetic he's actually reversed now he can barely read, can't do the simplest of maths, its doing my head in! I don't know what to do, I was all for tearing his flight ticket up yesterday and making him stay at home with granddad. He's on a complete Tv, playstation and gameboy ban as well as not being allowed to go to friends houses or have anyone over. He's really got to knuckle down and if I knew it was going to be like this theres no way I'd have booked a hol for him to have time off school. I'm beside myself with worry, we're taking a whole heap of school work with us and he's going to have to work, work, and work!
So if you see any child standing in a queue maniacally chanting their tables its my son!!
rant over

Oh no just what you don't need! Could there be a reaosn why his performance has dropped so low such as bullying, needing glasses etc? Could he be upset about something like his dad splitting up with step mum?

Hope this gets sorted soon. :grouphug:

Hope you have a fantastic time.

Your son's brightness is still there. Please do not be too hard on him he is only 10. There is so much pressure on the kids to perform for this test or that test. When the SATs were introduced it was supposed to be a way to measure a school's teaching not for the child to be judged. I think there is far too much pressure put on kids today at an early age. So please relax, have a lovely holiday, your son missing a couple of weeks off school is not going to affect him, it would be different if he was taking his GCSEs. When you come back then give him your support to reach his true potential. :)

Thanks for your kind words of support, Jen, Callum has his eyes tested really regularly so that isn't the problem and he's definately not being bullied, his class has the very unusual distinction of all getting along together and Callum is definately a popular member, you've met him so you know that he's sociable, outgoing etc, I fear his problem could just be that he likes to chat too much but can't multi-task (boy!) so talks without working as well. I do think his dad/stepmum thing has had an effect on him so the teacher has been informed and will monitor him closely.Wicket - I will take your words on board and let him be a bit whilst we're away, and as long as he completes his holiday work I'll be happy.
once again, thank you

what about getting him to do the trip report with you , or something fun that he his learning without really knowing

I always get mind to read the maps

Please don't let it ruin your holiday , :wizard:

jns said:
what about getting him to do the trip report with you , or something fun that he his learning without really knowing

Thats a great idea! Maybe every evening Callum could write a trippie and then you can check his spelling etc.

jns said:

I always get mind to read the maps

Please don't let it ruin your holiday , :wizard:

That is a great idea, he could learn so much without realising!

If there's a 10yr old British lad sat with a dictionary by the pool i'll try not to giggle :teeth:

Jodie

ely3857 said:

If there's a 10yr old British lad sat with a dictionary by the pool i'll try not to giggle :teeth:

Jodie

Thanks Jodie :goodvibes He's already under orders to do a diary, as he always does when I take him out of school. We've calmed down a bit today as the initial rage has depleted, still not terribly excited though. He's really got to knuckle down and I can just see I'll be nagging him the whole fortnight.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter