• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Car rental advice? Best deals, best companies, closest to Ontario airport?

imjen

DIS Veteran
We've never flown into CA before or needed to rent a car so I need some advice. Previously we drove from Utah...but too far to do that now. We're flying into Ontario airport. Where/how can I get the best deal for a rental car? We will need it from a Tuesday evening through Sunday morning. Which companies are closest and farthest at the airport? Are any onsite? Have any of you had a bad experience with a particular rental car company that you would recommend avoiding? Thanks!

imjen - Ontario a/p is probably the fartherest away of all the a/p's near DLR, but it is also the easiest to navigate around. We fly in there yearly from Seattle to visit family and it's never a hassle checking in or getting luggage. All the major car rentals are on site, you just need to go out to the center island in front of the terminal to the area marked car rental lots. A bus will pick you up and take you right to their building (their all located in one area). We've used National and Enterprise, but if you go to something like expedia you can get a good idea of the cost. Once you leave the rental car parking lot you on the freeway within 5 minutes. Very convienent.

PapaLR, we will be flying into Ontario Oct. 13th for 4 nights at DLR. DH prefers that airport when he is in LA for business. Do you know the best way to get to DLR from there? Looking at the map it looks like we could head west, then south or south, then west. Thanks!

There are several ways to go - I believe the way you described would be I-10 west to 57 and heading south to I believe Ball Rd. (it's only been 23 years since we were at DLR). Ball Rd west until you cross Habor Blvd. The other way and the way I'm most familiar with would be taking I-10 east for several miles then going south on I-15 to 91 west to 57, then south to Ball Rd. Now that I've typed all those freeways changes, it don't sound to easy, so you would probably be better off just going down 57. It is more straight through. We're usually coming from the Riverside area (where family lives), so that is why the other way is easier for us - I'm sure I've completely confused you!

Do you have a Costco card? If so, go to their website and click on travel then click on rental cars. I always book through their website and get great deals. In June we flew into Ontario and I booked a car through Budget for 4 days and it was only $82 total with all taxes!!!

mapquest your destinations - use the airport addy and DL addy - there have been a lot of changes and Disney has even paid for special freeway on/off ramps that connect directly to the park. You will enter (and exit) the park from the 5 fwy. The 5 can be reached from the 91 - or the 605 - (and other places from the westside and downtown). From Ont you will need to go W on the 10 - you can go south on the 605 - and then south on the 5 OR pick up the 91 West from the 605 and then go 5 south. Your best bet is to check a map and find the best way to get to the 5. (But don't trust my directions - use a map).

When leaving the park - all lanes lead to the 5 - you just have to know if you need to enter the 5 North or South.

Oh and when you use mapquest - double the expected travel time :drive:

Whatever you do avoid the 91! We got stuck for over an hour due to work on the freeway! The guy at the car rental place told us to take the 91 and it was by far the longest route!

At our hotel the manager told us to take Katella and get on the 57 North, then take the 10 and follow the signs to the airport. It only took us about 30 minutes.

So coming form the airport just take 10 to the 57 and exit Katella. Make a right onto Katella and head down to Harbor then make a left or right depending on what hotel you are styaing at!

The 91 has night time construction now and that creates a traffic problem - but this is west of the 5 (around the 710) - so it shouldn't impact traffic between Ont and Anaheim

For those that are not used to SoCal traffic - bear in mind:
any thing can cause slowdown and congestion
distance does not have any relationship to time
try to find out traffic patterns and peak traffic times for your fwy and
avoid those when possible
double the expected travel time for mapquest - and be blessed if it takes
less time - but that way you won't be stressed if you are late
kissing asphalt is part of SoCal life - you have to relax and go with the
flow

Hi! As far as I know all of the major car rental companies are pretty good. I would go online and compare prices. Maybe try AAA if you have a membership.

churchlady- I would really avoid the 10 and the 91 (yuck) if you can get away with it. We don't live that far from the airport. I would take Archibald (not sure if it's street or ave, but Archibald is the street on the eastern side of the airport) South until you get to the 60 freeway. Take the 60/West to the 57/South. Exit Ball Road and make a right. Go past Harbor Blvd. Turn left on Disneyland Way and follow the signs to the Disney hotels. That's the route we always take. Hopefully you will miss the evening traffic. hth :moped: :drive:

I am glad I found this thread with all of the different ways to reach Ontario Airport. I have only been there one time and took I15 that time. I am glad to find alternative routes when I travel next week.

Thanks inland freeway experts. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter