CAPE CARD Round 2

FtW Mike

DIS Veteran
So here I am on a Saturday Night listening to the rain fall on the roof of the coach at the Sun Resort here in Mystic Conn. . We came up yesterday and it was an adventure. Made the 1st two thirds of the way here, think, 200 miles from Dover De. to Tappen Zee bridge in NY in just over 4 hours. The next 130 miles we averaged half the speed of smell as it took another 4 hours. I can understand the 2 slowdowns for rain , but the slow downs to equal the announced delays on 95 North for no apparent reason, ie no accidents, no construction, no bad weather and no roving gangs of delinquent squirrels randomly carjacking people. No real discernable reason.
Happily the MARINER Restaurant in Mystic agreed to hold our reservation when I called to advise them we wouldn't make it. Dinner was good and if anyone comes up this way I heartily recommend the CLAM CHOWDAH. Personally I could make a meal of it, with 2 bowls and some rolls.
This makes our second stay here. Sites are a decent size and have some shade. There is a decent Dog Park. The Comfort Stations are well maintained. Only drawback is the sites do not have sewer hook ups due to being built atop an old quarry. They do offer pump out service or you can use either of the 2 dump stations.
They offer a 20 percent discount to veterans for stays more than 2 nights. The same discount for those staying for a week or more. I did snag an upgrade to 25 pct. during their Christmas in July sale.
Today, We woke up to overcast skies and rain in the forecast. As there was call for rain we decided an indoor activity was called for. We chose to make it the day we toured the SUBMARINE MUSEUM. Last trip I added a 1 day lay over to go there only it was a Tuesday , the 1 day of the week they are closed. They do not have an entry fee but collect donations. They do a very good job of explaining the history of Submarines in US History. They have large scale models of an assortment various classes of these boats, The NAUTILUS, the 1st Nuclear Powered Submarine is berthed here and is partially open for tours. I TOTALLY recommend stopping here to anyone passing thru the Groton- New London Ct. area.

Last edited:
Mike,

I love ya but PLEEZE,

360_F_2445395_eAJydnxcHZE2Yq0AKdI5FuYMAyTH56.jpg

:crazy: ED

So here I am on a Saturday Night listening to the rain fall on the roof of the coach at the Sun Resort here in Mystic Conn. . We came up yesterday and it was an adventure. Made the 1st two thirds of the way here, think, 200 miles from Dover De. to Tappen Zee bridge in NY in just over 4 hours. The next 130 miles we averaged half the speed of smell as it took another 4 hours. I can understand the 2 slowdowns for rain , but the slow downs to equal the announced delays on 95 North for no apparent reason, ie no accidents, no construction, no bad weather and no roving gangs of delinquent squirrels randomly carjacking people. No real discernable reason.
Happily the MARINER Restaurant in Mystic agreed to hold our reservation when I called to advise them we wouldn't make it. Dinner was good and if anyone comes up this way I heartily recommend the CLAM CHOWDAH. Personally I could make a meal of it, with 2 bowls and some rolls.
This makes our second stay here. Sites are a decent size and have some shade. There is a decent Dog Park. The Comfort Stations are well maintained. Only drawback is the sites do not have sewer hook ups due to being built atop an old quarry. They do offer pump out service or you can use either of the 2 dump stations.
They offer a 20 percent discount to veterans for stays more than 2 nights. The same discount for those staying for a week or more. I did snag an upgrade to 25 pct. during their Christmas in July sale.
Today, We woke up to overcast skies and rain in the forecast. As there was call for rain we decided an indoor activity was called for. We chose to make it the day we toured the SUBMARINE MUSEUM. Last trip I added a 1 day lay over to go there only it was a Tuesday , the 1 day of the week they are closed. They do not have an entry fee but collect donations. They do a very good job of explaining the history of Submarines in US History. They have large scale models of an assortment various classes of these boats, The NAUTILUS, the 1st Nuclear Powered Submarine is berthed here and is partially open for tours. I TOTALLY recommend stopping here to anyone passing thru the Groton- New London Ct. area.

The submarine museum is great !! I love it!

Living in CT, I can tell you that our interstates are always lousy!! I HATE driving on all the interstates here (and I-95 the most, although at times 84 is a close second) due to the constant ridiculous long/heavy backups for no "discernible" reason... ugh...(and oddly enough, it OFTEN - though not always - happens as soon as I cross the CT border). I have had that 8 hour experience before, southbound from Seymour, CT to Wilmington, DE via Tappan Zee. However, that was a Sunday after Thanksgiving in the afternoon...not smart!

Enjoy this trip up! We were considering (among other things) a ride out in that general direction for a family Sunday activity...perhaps Narragansett or Newport, RI. In any case, safe short remainder of your travels!

Saturday's rain postponed Trick or treating till Sunday . So rather than hit the Mystic Aquarium as we had planned, we hit a supermarket for goodies. The kids came as a group and some were extra cute.
Monday we hit the Shopping Village next to the Aquarium just to double check a few of the stores we liked the last time. I did ask the office how soon we could make reservations for 2024 and learned they are open now.

Tuesday was a travel day. As we only had to go 130 miles we planned to leave very close to the check out time of 11 am. As fate would have it we were on the road by 1030. Did a quick fuel stop prior to getting on I 95. The drive thru Rhode Island was quick and Painless. Things early into Massachusetts went without a hitch. About 25 miles from the Bourne Bridge onto the Cape we hit some rain, Happily there is a rest stop near where the rain started. My calculations had us arriving at the Dennis Port Sun Resort at a time we would get hit with an early check in fee.
So while the rain wasn't horrible, so I took some extra time walking the dogs . Lucille and I elected to have a spot of lunch. We arrived at 5 after 2.
My sister was out of town and my Aunt and Uncle had medical appointments that day and the next so after we checked in we chose to just hang out and finish off the chicken we had picked up in Mystic 2 days earlier.

Wednesday we knew ahead of time my family members had other engagements planned. We made our own plans . This resort in 2024 is going to be an all Seasonal Resort with only 4 sites for short stay people.
I learned this when I saw they were accepting reservations for the 2024 season and was told all the pull thru sites were no longer available. A few questions later the reason why was revealed.
This began an online search for potential substitute for next year. The State Parks were out as they have size restrictions that preclude us. We encountered the same with some of the private ones. In the end we whittled it down to 5 locations that we believed would meet our needs.
The first 2 were both SUN OUTDOORS Resorts. Besides having 50 Amp. , Full Hook Ups (WSEC) , and Dog Park. The offer some very nice discounts. So despite being on the Western side of the Cape and my Family living on the Eastern side They went on the list. The East Falmouth Location was very nice but not easily accessible from the major roads .
The Peter's Pond property in Mashpee/Sandwich was extremely nice. Unfortunately like Dennis Port it has transitioned to a predominantly Seasonal Resort. The few transient sites were small but would accommodate our rig but would require us to park our toad in the parking lot.
Third up was 1000 Trails property in Dennis. The CLOSED sign on the door of the office was not a promising sign. We drove around and every site we saw was a seasonal.
Fourth place was Shady Knoll in Brewster. Very nice place but no Dog Park . Within reason to my family so it was worth serious consideration.
Last up was Atlantic Oaks in Eastham. This according to Google was about a 30 min drive to either my Sister or Aunt and Uncle. Sites are a decent size and full Hook Up. The Gravel in the sites could be a bit deeper. The dog park could have easier access . It did check all our boxes so we'll give a better report next June.

....and just down the road from Hole-in-One donuts!!!
Jim thanks for the heads up. Woolfies just 2 miles away is currently closed for the season. Their Yarmouth location is only open weekends. Glad we hit the MYSTIC DINER

Jim thanks for the heads up. Woolfies just 2 miles away is currently closed for the season. Their Yarmouth location is only open weekends. Glad we hit the MYSTIC DINER
I think I remember mentioning Arnold’s restaurant in Eastham… they are only open Memorial to Labor, but Hole-in-One Donuts is year round. In June you will have everything available!

ARNOLD'S is right down the road from Atlantic Oaks. We are definitely looking at giving them a try

Thursday was supposed to be the day my Uncle John and I went fishing for stripers. He unfortunately had to have surgery on his foot 2 weeks ago . A bout with the Covid Cooties after that had him a week behind in his recovery, So we took the opportunity to spend the afternoon with my sister and Brother in law.
Katie has been having an extremely hard time with stairs coming in the coach due to her hip problem. It makes j=her do the stairs at home super slow. In the coach she is only able to do the 2 outside ones. We ordered her a harness system our vet recommended and it arrived that morning. She is not happy about wearing it. So we forced her to wear it and walk around outside.
Dinner was from a new menu I read. Shrimp and Penne Pasta in a Creamy Pesto Sauce with Spinach. I liked it Lucille is on the fence. But if I have to guess I am thinking I'll only get to make one more time.

Friday my Aunt and Uncle had a series of appointment so we went exploring . Lucille had found a series of shops she wanted to visit. I had to dig deep and channel my Inner Tiggerdad. Not of these places had a bench out front. So as it is my job to be the pack mule I put on a happy face and did my best go with the flow.
We did hit a local establishment in Dennis Port , "CLANCEY'S" for dinner. I heartily recommend it.
Katie has figured out when I go for the Harness what is coming and refused to get up. But my back feels more gooderer when I have to lift her up the stairs.

Saturday we had plans to go to dinner with my Aunt and Uncle. as we had a free morning I went off to a meeting of the Good Mommy and Daddy Club. On my way back I picked up some Honey Dew Donuts as Woolfies was closed for the season.. I rate them as an Emergency resupply location.
When I got back, I took the girls out for an exploratory trek thru the property. Some of the people there go all out for Halloween. Which also happens to be the day the resort shut down for the season.
As I said earlier this property is going 99% seasonal next year. They will have 4 sites still available to transients . They are located at the very front of the resort All are full hookup pull in back out sites.
Dinner was at a place called 400 East. Located in the town of Harwich. Thanks to my trip to the club I knew exactly where it is. My Uncle says they go there frequently, and I understand why. The food and service were very good.

Sunday we spent the afternoon visiting with my Aunt and Uncle. Fiona their Golden Doodle was in her glory. She smelled the girls on me and pegged me for a soft touch. The 2 pretzel rods we shared say she was right.
Lucille was once again made privy to some of my earliest misadventures. Gratefully my aunt pointed to her husband and told her, "Look at who his role model was. "

Our visit on Sunday was great, but not without a the mandatory family squabble.
It seems my Uncle John has become a traitor and abandoned a major family position. He has abandoned the NY GIANTS for the New England Patriots. When he switched to the Minnesota Vikings ( A sin I too am guilty of from my days in the USAF and they somehow were our home team ) , we understood as he transferred to Minnesota. Sir Francis Tarkenton playing there eased it and we both got nominal penance.
Taking up with The Pats however is another story all together. When we see my Aunt Catherine his sister, the SISTER excommunication might be on the table. I suspect the influence of Uncle Vinnie and the forgiveness he advocated in his sermons when he said mass at family gatherings, will play large in how this transgression is dealt with.

Monday we were back for dinner. Fiona was very happy to see us.
Apparently she had been a bad girl and abandoned my Aunt Patty for her new best friends. The landscape crew fixing the sprinkler system . The Spooky Halloween Milk Bones had nothing to do with it.

Tuesday came and with it , our head home day. As this is a 450 mile trek for our thanks to our routing , I insist on 2 days of travel. Unfortunately there is a lack of places to stop overnight . Until we get to the Groton/Mystic Ct. area. The few places almost close to our travel route all add 100 miles to our travels.
Mystic has a super nice and pricey KOA that is open year round. I chose a Pull Thru site directly across from the Dog Park. for our return. The Sun Outdoors a bit down the road , where we had previously stayed had closed for the season after we left,
Both places are extremely nice with plenty off amenities , with easy access to I 95 and the major attractions in the area.
After we got settled in to our site we took a ride around to check out some of the sites decorated for Halloween. Dinner saw us doing a return trip The Steak Loft in the Old Mystic Village.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter