Can't afford to stay with friends...help!!

Cantw8

Skating on thin ice and the sun's coming up
Here's my story....
Our friends (family of four) were given a free stay at the Boardwalk Villas for Nov 16-21. They have never been to the world and wanted my family to go with them. The problem is, we (family of four) cannot afford to stay at the Boardwalk. I have been looking at other EPCOT area resorts so that we can be as close to them as possible. I cannot deceide between the Dolphin or Caribean Beach. We can definitely afford the Carribean but the Dolphin seems soooo much closer but would be a stretch financially although cheaper than the Boardwalk. So, my expert friends, what should I do??? How difficult would it be for my family to commute from the Carribean every morning to hook up with them at the Boardwalk or vise versa? Would the aggravation not be worth staying at CBR? Would it be less stressful to shuck out the extra money for the Dolphin? None of us are government workers or teachers/nurses and we miss the FTP with the dates so no discounts. I have read about the buy one night, get one night free deal for the Swan/Dolphin. Any suggestions???

I wouldn't go to any financial hardship for a Disney trip. If you can swing the Dolphin then go for it. Will you have a car? If not I would just meet up in whatever Park you want to visit. Have family radios or cell phones, it shouldn't be too much of a hassle. Have fun! It's nice of you to be tour guides, people ask us to do that all the time and I always say no way -- our Disney trips are sacred, family only!!

Will you or they have a car?? CBR is close, but not enough to walk. You can always meet up at the entrance to whatever park you are doing. Too bad there aren't any buses to the BW. How much time do you actaully want to spend together?If you boh have cell phones it isn't hard to meet up, but be flexible.
My mom and her DH are going with us Thanksgiving. We will go the park together in the morning, but split up when one of us want to do something different. We will have a couple of PS's planned, but not too much.

Save the money and stay at CBR. I am sure you can meet up with them daily. You will still have a great time staying at CBR.

Sometimes having a little distance from family is a good thing. :)

Weren't planning on getting a car but that could be a good suggestion if we stay at CBR. Thanks for all your input. Here's another question.... my DS (13) asked if he could bring a friend since he will be out numbered by girls!!!! Can 5 stay at the CBR without breaking any rules?? Two adults and three skinny kids???!!!

Save the money stay at CBR and have a meet time at the designated park....easier to meet at a park then trying to get your family to BWV and then heading to a park from there..

POR is the only 1 who will allow 5,unless 1 child is under the age of 3.hope this helps.

Correct me if I'm wrong but can't anyone qualify right now for the 139.00 a night at the Dolphin? I think you may have 2 adults and 3 skinny kids there AND you'd be right next to your friends!!! Is CBR that much cheaper?

Rent points from a DVC member. Those are weeknights. A studio preferred at the Boardwalk or a unit at the Beach Club would be 60 points and a standard at the Boarwalk would be 45 points. So, if you rent from a DVC member, the cost at the standard going rate of $10 per point, your cost would be not more than $600. I suggest, however, that you put a note on the DVC Rental Board saying you want these nights at either resort and are willing to pay only up to $9 per point. You will get responses. Just read the renting points FAQ.

Thought the $139 deal was only good till the end of Sept....if not, my problem is solved.

Post on the DVC Rental Board????? Oh, no... I'm getting into uncharted territory!!! I can actually make a request for the Boardwalk Villas from a DVC owner??? This sounds too good to be true. Then we would be right with our friends and save $$$$.

Yes, you can. Go read the FAQ. You might not be able to get those dates though so have some flexibiltiy and go with either the Boardwalk or the Beach Club villas.

Howdy, neighbor - I'm in Downingtown. :teeth:

Why not contact Dreams Unlimited and see what they can find for you. It won't cost you anything and they'll get the best deal they can for you. :)

And I'll bet that better rates come out before your vacation. Don't give up hope.

Something to conside with 5 people would be connecting rooms at a moderate or value resort. You get the added benefit of having 2 bathrooms. No matter where you stay, you can still make arrangements to get together with your friends.

Renting would probably be a good deal, but then you are back to 4 people. A studio or even a 1 bedroom is limited to 4 plus a child under 3. You'd need a 2 bedroom for 5 people, and there goes your budget. DVC is pretty strict about it.

I second the point rental suggestion - you simply cannot beat the deal during the week (it is much more expensive to stay on points on Fri and Sat.).

We had a relatively inexpensive stay in a 2 bedroom villa at BWV. It was heaven! your family could do very nicely in a 1 bedroom if you have 5 people. Really - look into it. Also Beach Club Villas would be convenient to your friends. Don't be afraid of point rental!!

Guys the OP said they were a family of 4 not 5 and my suggestion was also renting a studio. That would save money and solve all your problems.

hockeymom
the OP started out by saying they were a family of 4, but in a later post indicates that his son would like to bring a friend, since he will be out numbered by the girls.
cantw8
If you look into renting the points it does seem like a good deal, with your friends stay at the BC, you have your choice of BCV or the BWV as stated earlier. The trip from BCV to BWV is easy, you can walk or take the boat.

Good luck

You may want to check what sort of accomodation they won, was it a studio, one-bedroom, two-bedroom or grand villa? If it was a two-bedroom or grand villa then you could actually stay with them. They sleep 8 and 12 respectively and there is plenty of room for additional small children. There are two bathrooms in those units as well and three in a grand villa.

Another option to consider is if they really want you to go with them, and they have a studio or one-bedroom, they should ask how much it would cost to upgrade to a larger accomondation. Perhaps they/you could offer to pay the difference in accomodation. I believe WDW will work with prize winners to adjust to their needs.

IMO, if they want you to go with them and they won the trip and are not paying, then they should assist in paying for you, accomodation, tickets, airfare, whatever they get free they should split with you if they want you there. It is unreasonable to expect you to have to pay for everything they get free!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter