cancelling a reservation

disneykins

DIS Veteran
I have 2 reservations using points. I banked 100 points that expire Dec. 2018 to 2019 use year. Then I used my points to book a stay for Feb.1 to Feb.15, 2019. Then I used my points to book a stay for Mar.1 to Mar. 15, 2019. Now I need to cancel the Feb.1 booking. I assume the 100 banked points were used for the Feb. 1 booking so if I cancel it, do those points need to be used by Dec. 2018 or will they just apply them to the Mar. 1, 2019 vacation. I want to avoid the points going into a holding account.
Thanks,
Tony

You can have the banked points reallocated to the March 2019 reservation (assuming it was made with the same home resort points) but you have to call in and ask a CM to do it. It won't be done automatically, you have to ask.

Holding points only happen if you cancel 30 days or less prior to check in.

You say you banked them? So they moved apparently from the current year 2018 into the 2019 use year? When you cancel a reservation with more than 30 days out, they do not going Into Holding. They will go back into whatever status they had before you used them on the reservation. So they will go back into the same banked status that they had before. They will remain in the Use year where they were, whether you use them or not. So you do not need to re-bank them. They automatically go into the bank under the same conditions as they would have been had you not used them at all.

However I agree with Kat4Disney. The banked points will not be used automatically on your March reservation. The points you used to schedule the March reservation are the points that will remain on that reservation. However, you can change this by calling them and asking them to do it. Which you Should do relatively soon. The DVC reservations department agents can do it. But the only way you could do it by yourself would be to cancel the March reservation and then rebook it using the banked points. Of course you might lose the reservation in the process, since once you cancel it, whoever has a waitlist request with that date, will automatically receive it. If there is anyone who has waitlisted it.

Mine is somewhat the same situation I think. I booked my home resort SSR using banked 2017 points which I need to use. Now a BWV waitlist came through and I am using 2018 points. If I cancel the SSR then those points will go back in 2017 right?

Mine is somewhat the same situation I think. I booked my home resort SSR using banked 2017 points which I need to use. Now a BWV waitlist came through and I am using 2018 points. If I cancel the SSR then those points will go back in 2017 right?

Banking is a final transaction so if you banked your 2017 points into your 2018 UY then when you cancel the reservation you used them for they will still remain as banked points in your 2018 UY and will expire if not used prior to the start of your 2019 UY. You may call MS and ask them to reallocate to the BWV reservation if that works and then your 2018 points would be freed up to use or to bank into 2019.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter