Can you upgrade a child?

Shellbells

DIS Veteran
I just realized that 9 and under have to eat kids meals. Can we pay extra and put him on the adult plan?

Yes. But you also have to pay for an adult park ticket for them. You can't do a child's pass with adult dining.

I just realized that 9 and under have to eat kids meals. Can we pay extra and put him on the adult plan?
We did it last time we went with free dining. As the previous poster said, you do have to pay for an adult park ticket as well, but the price difference is actually pretty small. The difference in cost for a 5 day ticket is only $20 total.

One thing to keep in mind though, it is only TS restaurants that kids under 9 have to order from the kids menu. CS places do not differentiate between child credits or adult credits.

Did you book a "free" dining promotion? If so, the park ticket upgrade should be $20 and then the child will get the "free" adult dining plan. If, however, you're paying for the dining plan, the difference is about $45 PER DAY. Which means, you should probably not upgrade, and just pay out of pocket if the kid wants something that isn't included.

We did get free Dining. My DH and DSS21 and DSS15 eat a lot so we were going to Pay oop for the 9 yr old and use his credits for them. DH and I also thinking about going to a 2 credit dinner one night for a date night. If it's only 20 more it might be worth it.

I'm thinking of doing this on our FD trip in December. We could schedule two additional TS meals using my youngest grandmunchkins credits. Since his brother is a Disney adult, they could easily share a meal or we could buy him his own child meal OOP if he wants one.

I just called to upgrade my child to an adult meal, and they wouldn't let me. :( Going to call again and try with someone else.

Did you also try to upgrade his ticket to an adult ticket?
Yes. I was able to do that the 2nd time I called. The 1st CM wouldn't even let me change his ticket -- basically stating that "you said he was 7, so he has to be listed as a child." He is now showing up in the system as an adult, and my balance went up by $21, but my reservation page still shows that he has child credits instead of adult credits.

The 2nd CM gave me the technical support number to call, which I did. The CM there worked on it for a while and said it's showing up correctly on their side, but then acknowledged that it's not looking right on the MDE page. He said it wouldn't matter when we get there - the magicband will scan correctly (DS as an adult) and will use adult credits.

Could they order off the kids menu or the adult menu if you upgrade?
He can order off the adult menu (which he will likely do, even if he was listed as a child). If he does get a child's meal, I will pay OOP for it.

Yes. I was able to do that the 2nd time I called. He is now showing up in the system as an adult, and my balance went up by $21, but my reservation page still shows that he has child credits instead of adult credits.

The 2nd CM gave me the technical support number to call, which I did. The CM there worked on it for a while and said it's showing up correctly on their side, but then acknowledged that it's not looking right on the MDE page. He said it wouldn't matter when we get there - the magicband will scan correctly (DS as an adult) and will use adult credits.

That might take a few hours to update, the total always updates before what it shows, took about 24 hours when I added my mom to the reservation.

That might take a few hours to update, the total always updates before what it shows, took about 24 hours when I added my mom to the reservation.
Thank you! That is really helpful. I will check tomorrow. :)

OP, sorry to hijack your post!

Could they order off the kids menu or the adult menu if you upgrade?

They could order off either menu, but if you pay for the upgrade, ordering off the kid's menu is not a good value. Yes, with free dining it's only $21, but if they want kid's meals, why spend the $21?

They could order off either menu, but if you pay for the upgrade, ordering off the kid's menu is not a good value. Yes, with free dining it's only $21, but if they want kid's meals, why spend the $21?

I just figure some places she might want a kids meal, especially at QS. I figure for $21 it would be nice for her to have the option.

Well the CM I talked to told me they couldn't do it, I will have to call back another time.

Well the CM I talked to told me they couldn't do it, I will have to call back another time.

Do you have free dining? With free dining, you should be able to upgrade her for the price difference of a child/adult ticket. If you don't have free dining, then you have the ticket increase AND the dining plan price increase.

I just figure some places she might want a kids meal, especially at QS. I figure for $21 it would be nice for her to have the option.
you can already order her an adult meal at QS, they don't separate out the kid and adult credits there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter