Can you take time off school in sixth form?

Parents don't get 12 weeks off though DH isn't aloud to take more then a few days off from April to septmeber, I'm not aloud any time off in December or Easter when ever it is.

I'm not disagreeing with you I don't want DD to ever miss time off school but I can see why people have to take their children out of school every ones circumstances are different.

Xoxo

Completely agree! I'm at uni and work full time throughout the holidays meaning I'm not able to take time off, my partner also isn't able to take any holidays from June - late August, as they're blocked off.

In an ideal world, we wouldn't take the girls out of school, but we've been careful to make sure they're only missing the first week of term.

xxx

I wouldn't expect parents who aren't teachers to agree with me fully anyway so disagree Away. Just saying how it is from our side of the coin :)

:goodvibes

I wouldn't expect parents who aren't teachers to agree with me fully anyway so disagree Away. Just saying how it is from our side of the coin :)

I agree with you kids shouldn't be taken out of school I have teacher friends who changed my mind years ago but I just think everyone's circumstances are different!

It's my excuse to make as many trips before DD starts school! :)

Actually, although I am a parent and for the first time looking at school holiday pricing :scared1: I have come to the conclusion holidays are better had when the school is off anyway.

I am a working parent so would have to find childcare anyway so may as well spend time with her on holiday rather than putting her in clubs and pulling her out of school to take her away.

I understand everyone is different however without my schooling and especially my A levels I would not be in the job I am today :goodvibes

That is my situation. The school run an excellent summer school all August which DD goes to, so I can't see us ever going in August whilst she is at this school.

Fortunately she gets 2 weeks off in October so for the foreseeable future that will be our time to go.

DD is at a private school so they set their own policies re absence.

At beginning of May we did what I never thought we would do and take her out of school for 4 days. The school authorised it (and were more than fine about it - nice email from head and getting DD up in assembly to talk about it)

We weighed up the pros and cons - DD is only 6, doing v well academically, has had no days off sick since she started, chance to see Winter the dolphin who has a prosthetic tail (good role model for DD who we are trying to get to wear her prosthetic arm more) etc.

It's not something we will make a habit of but I was pleased with the attitude of the school.

I'm actually a trainee teacher.

I don't disagree with you, not at all actually.

However, it's all down to personal circumstance. If the child has strong academic skills, it's for a small amount of time, not around exams and as a parent you're able to liaise directly with the child's teachers to ensure that they can catch up/cope with the time off - I don't see any problems.

It's impossible to comment on whether it is or it isn't the right thing to do without knowing the child and the circumstances.

xxx

Thanks for all of the response!

I am quite clever- and due to health conditions have only been in school for around 20% of the time this year. I am still getting good grades for most things- which has kind of astonished me. I know A levels are harder, but if I could be able to catch up I would definately want to go in October/November.

I think the only problem really is that it's sixth form. If it was year 11, I would go in a heartbeat. For me, GCSEs are quite easy. I'm only concerned it being A levels which are apparently a LOT of hard work.

To be honest, it is me that is suggesting WDW in November. I will be disappointed if I can't go because I REALLY do want to go at that time! :cloud9:

I know a friend who took a week out of school a month or two ago to go to Florida, who has suffered no difficulties at school- however that is GCSE level. A level really does sound harder.

It will be my mother's 50th birthday if we go then, and I will be celebrating my 17th birthday, and my brothers will be celebrating their 15th and 9th birthdays. So it really is tempting to go then.

To be honest, I think if you can catch up, there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to take a holiday during term time. I know so many people who do it. It's just being in sixth form that really concerns me. However if I could get some extra work a few weeks before leaving I really hope it can be do-able!

Im sure you will be able to catch up with plenty of hard work! It sounds like an amazing trip with lots to celebrate! x

A further word of warning- You should talk in advance with your form teacher/ guidence advisor. They will write a ref for you on any application to uni/collage or to a work placed training programme. When I worked I had applications to review for placements on our school leavers training scheme. This was for high acheivers who wanted to go straight into on the job training including open Uni. A few times I came accross applications in which the lack of a pupils commitment was suggested, these included refs to that student taking time off for holidays in term time. As demand for uni places is high something like that added to your personal statement could prevent you for gaining a place.

I am quite clever- and due to health conditions have only been in school for around 20% of the time this year. I am still getting good grades for most things- which has kind of astonished me. I know A levels are harder, but if I could be able to catch up I would definately want to go in October/November.

That alone would discourage me from recommending time off for a holiday, what if you have an illness in your AS level year? time off for a holiday would be very very difficult to catch up, add an illness to that and it changes to almost impossible.

I really think you are under-estimating the importance and difficulty of AS & A-level years. Its your life, not ours but is a holiday worth jeopardising your future? This is coming from someone who puts holidays right at the top of my priority list but I have a Son doing Alevels just now, waking at 7:30am Saturday's and Sunday's with stress & worry (how many 17 year olds wake at that time on a weekend?:rotfl2:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter