Can you pack an air mattress(Aero bed) in your checked bags?

bcinohio

DIS Veteran
This may sound like a dumb question but we do not fly much. We will be at WDW July 12-19 and was wondering if we could pack an air mattress (aero bed) in one of our suitcases that we check? The two boys don't really want to sleep together. We always travel with it when we drive but this time we are flying.

It is not very heavy and I was thinking of putting it in a small suitcase by itself with a blanket and sheets. If it is a checked bag would we have any problems when they scan it, where ever they scan checked bags?

Thanks for any help!:thumbsup2

I really doubt that it would be a problem as long as it is in your checked baggage. I am sure someone on here has done this. With all the crazy things people try to take on flights I doubt that this would set off any red flags, especially if you have a name tag on the bag and they see you are going to Orlando. lol Terri

Go ahead and do it. We've done this a couple of times. I have a small tote bag that I pack mine in. No problems at all. :thumbsup2

I don't have the Aero bed but we do have one bag that holds our everytrip stuff. That includes AirBed , Single electric burner,Refreeze icecubes,Mugs and dishes.

We have never had a problem taking these things.

Yes you can pack your air mattress in your checked baggage (or even in your carry on). We fly a lot of our camping gear out to Yellowstone (which includes air mattresses) and have never had a problem.

we've put our aerobed in its duffle, then in a small rolling suitcase (carry-on size), & checked it repeatedly.
it fits very nicely (with sheet set), & the suitcase gives a added measure of protection against "airline abuse".:rolleyes1
hth :)

We took our air mattress with us last month, and I also took it in June. I pack it in a duffle bag with the air pump and sheets. I havent had ANY trouble with taking it with us.

RE: air mattresses.

Does a regular twin air mattress fit on the floor at Pop Century?
I know the beds are fixed to the floor. Just wondering if there is room.

With United implementing a $25/bag fee for more than one checked bag per person, that's an extra $50 (roundtrip) for the suitcase containing the Aero bed! Other airlines are sure to follow United's idea.

With United implementing a $25/bag fee for more than one checked bag per person, that's an extra $50 (roundtrip) for the suitcase containing the Aero bed! Other airlines are sure to follow United's idea.

Are you kidding me? They are charging for what is *in* the bag?

Please tell me you are saying that if you pack your aerobed in a 2nd suitcase, then it would cost you 50 to get it there and back....and not if your toddler with a ticket couldn't count that suitcase as his without paying 50 because it had an air mattress in it!!

Are you kidding me? They are charging for what is *in* the bag?

Please tell me you are saying that if you pack your aerobed in a 2nd suitcase, then it would cost you 50 to get it there and back....and not if your toddler with a ticket couldn't count that suitcase as his without paying 50 because it had an air mattress in it!!

It doesn't matter what is in the bag - it's the fact that it would be a 2nd checked bag. If there are 4 people flying and you are checking 5 bags, you will be paying $25 each way for the extra bag. http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1714799

In other words, if checking a suitcase with an air matress in it causes you to have more checked bags than ticketed passengers flying - you will soon be paying for that extra suitcase.

We've checked our air mattress before, but it always comes back with a note inside the suitcase saying it's been opened and inspected. Must be something to do with the density of the "plastic/vinyl" or whatever it's made of.

What we have done is we packed our car seat in a car seat bag and put the aero bed in car seat bag too (on top of the seat). It fits perfectly.

I hope that car seat bags won't be considered and second piece of luggage.

What we have done is we packed our car seat in a car seat bag and put the aero bed in car seat bag too (on top of the seat). It fits perfectly.

I think I'd call the airline and check on that. With the airlines starting to charge for every little extra now I'm guessing carseats are fair game, or will be before long.

That's exactly what I was going to do, too.

We've brought an aerobed packed in a checked suitcase many times with no problem and no notes that our luggage had been checked. My DDs BF brought one recently as his carry-on and at our departing airport at security screening they did take the mattress out of the bag and check ot out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter