Can you negotiate extended banking deadlines as part of a resale offer?

Little E

DIS Veteran
Hi Disfriends!

I have another DVC resale purchase question. DH and I have decided that BC is where we would like to purchase a resale contract. We own direct at GF, and we really want to be able to walk to HS and EP. It makes more sense for use to buy resale this time around, as we have access to the direct perks already with our two GF contracts.

Now, we are starting to keep our eyes peeled for the right resale contract. I'm noticing some contracts with banked 2023 points, which leads me to this sort of unique question. If we were to purchase a resale contract with banked points from 2023, I know that those banked points can't be banked again once we own the contract, correct? I also understand that it can take some time to actually have access to points once ROFR and closing happens. So, if we find ourselves with points that we can't use in 2024, and we purchase a contract that has a UY where we are past the banking deadline before we actually own/have access to the points, can we negotiate the ability to bank points past the deadline as part of our offer?

Here's an example: Say we're going to buy a 100 point contract with an October UY and the contract comes with 100 points already banked from 2023. This would mean that we'd have 200 points in 2024. I understand that we would have to use the already-banked-points before September 30th. And, we'd only have until May 31 to bank the 100 points from 2024. If we put in an offer and it takes a long time to go through ROFR and then close, we could be past the May 31 deadline to bank the bankable points, and we might not be able to use the already banked points by September 30th. Do I have this correct?

If I have this correct, can we negotiate as part of our offer the ability to bank the bankable points past the May 31 deadline if we don't get access to our points until after May 31st? Is that something that is possible? I assume it would not be possible to negotiate the use of the already-banked-points past September 30th. Is this also correct?

Thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

You can ask the seller to bank prior to going to ROFR. So that is all done.

But, only DVC can make the decision to allow a new owner to bank late. The seller can’t give a buyer that assurance.

So, if you think it’s going to be close, ask for it to be done with your offer

Here's an example: Say we're going to buy a 100 point contract with an October UY and the contract comes with 100 points already banked from 2023. This would mean that we'd have 200 points in 2024. I understand that we would have to use the already-banked-points before September 30th. And, we'd only have until May 31 to bank the 100 points from 2024. If we put in an offer and it takes a long time to go through ROFR and then close, we could be past the May 31 deadline to bank the bankable points, and we might not be able to use the already banked points by September 30th. Do I have this correct?
Maybe I’m confused
The way I’m reading your question is that you’re thinking of buying a contract now, if I have that wrong delete my answer, lol.

But…If you bought an October UY contract now you’d have plenty of time to bank & use the points.

The 2023 pts already banked would be usable from October 2024 till September 30 2025 and you’d have until May 2025 to bank your 2024 UY pts.

@Sandisw Thank you! I never thought of asking the sellers to bank before ROFR. That's great! But, if I'm reading @cdirazonian correctly, I've got more time than I thought?

@cdirazonian Yes, you got it right. And, thank you for clarifying for me. I was thinking banked 2023 point had to be used by September 30th of 2024. And I was thinking that points I might want to banked from 2024 had to be banked by May 31 of 2024. So, if I'm understanding you correctly, I have way more time and I wouldn't need to have sellers do this for me before ROFR, correct?

Anything else I'm not thinking of?

I notice most seller selling loaded contracts have already banked points if its close to the deadline.
You just have to be careful with a contract that has banked points already from the previous year that cant be banked again. Most BC resslae contracts are rarely double loaded anyways

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, I have way more time and I wouldn't need to have sellers do this for me before ROFR, correct?
Correct. October UY 2024 goes till September 30 2025, Plenty of time lol

Plus also watching out for what @GogoDenali said
You just have to be careful with a contract that has banked points already from the previous year that cant be banked again.

Also I forgot to say that bc contracts are somewhat special in that you do have be careful more with the deadline for points to expire because u need to book with that 7 -11 months window to take advantage of the points even because nothing available under 7 months. Just closed on resale, took 40 days for points to load and that’s pretty good scenario overall. It’s not even worth it to buy a loaded contract and just get one with 2024 points banked for 2025 if it’s an early use year and look for a good price point. As much as I love beach club, I just can’t really reliably book at 11 months that I could ever take advantage of it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter