Can You Bring Mickey Balloons Home on an Airplane?

Alice-in-wonder

DIS Veteran
First time flying round trip to Disney. Last time we took the auto train so we were able to bring my DD's Mickey balloon home in the car. This may seem like a silly question, but....is there any way to bring it home on the plane? Do you have to deflate it and put it in your suitcase? Thanks!

You can bring it on the plane, but it has to be deflated, just as it would in your luggage. If you don't deflate it, it very well will pop (and I'd be highly shocked if you got it through security or on the plane inflated anyway) due to pressure changes. There are a lot of changes in air pressure inside the cabin (even though it is pressurized) of an airplane, unlike a train that travels at ground level and short of crossing over mountain passes has very little change in air pressure.

Once we had balloons, when our son was very young. They were confiscated at the baggage counter. So, we don't bother with balloons any more.

You can bring it on the plane, but it has to be deflated, just as it would in your luggage. If you don't deflate it, it very well will pop (and I'd be highly shocked if you got it through security or on the plane inflated anyway) due to pressure changes. There are a lot of changes in air pressure inside the cabin (even though it is pressurized) of an airplane, unlike a train that travels at ground level and short of crossing over mountain passes has very little change in air pressure.

This is what I would have thought as well, but we had friends FLY a mickey balloon back to PA a few months ago. 2 months after their trip, it was still hovering around their living room. They insisted they did not deflate the balloon and they were able to carry it on.

I wouldn't expect this is a common occurence though. I would plan to deflate the balloon and pack it.

In May 2008, Southwest allowed us to bring our son's balloon home. It had to go in the overhead bin though, and it made the flight just fine.

If you deflate it carefully, you might be able to get it refilled when you get home. I did puncture my dd's two oversized balloons to go home. Now, they hang on her wall!!!
There's no way I would take an inflated balloon on a plane. With changes in pressure (and they do happen), you don't want it to sound like a gunshot!! I remember the time we were at the gate, and a huge group of kids were having some fun with balloons. They were tossing them around...being a general nuisance. Well, the balloons started popping. You should have seen the pilots in the area practically hit the floor!!! The gate attendants were not amused. The kids, and the adults with them, were told to put them away. But, the balloons were back out again about 20 mins later.

We deflated DD's on our last trip to DL. From the airline website it said that inflated goods including balloons, beach balls, etc were not allowed on board inflated.

We brought a balloon on the plane back home with us this past december. It was one of those 2 in 1 balloons. The mickey balloon was encased in a larger balloon. We were worried about it popping on the plane, so dh poked the tiniest hole in the outer balloon. This allowed enough air out for it to pressurize. Good thing he did b/c as soon as we got up in the air, the balloon filled back up due to the pressure. It surely would have popped had he not poked that hole.

In the end, it was pretty much ruined (well, the outer balloon) after a few days of being home. But, we did get it on the plane! :)

If you are buying one of the foil balloons, simply push a straw up the opening (where the balloon is filled) to let the air out. When you get home, bring the balloon to your local grocery store and they can fill it with helium for you. Voila! Mickey Balloon!

Kathy

Or, you could just give it away. On a previous trip, we were stopped at DHS by a lady and her small son who was about the same age as DS. She said they were getting ready to fly home and couldn't take the balloon on the plane. She asked if my DS would like the balloon. Well, DS was thrilled to take it! And since we were flying too, we kept the balloon for the week then re-gifted it to another little boy. Those balloons last for a while! It was still fully inflated when we gave it away. And DS was happy to make another little boy happy. Plus, Mommy didn't have to fool with trying to get the balloon home! A win-win situation! :)

Or, you could just give it away. On a previous trip, we were stopped at DHS by a lady and her small son who was about the same age as DS. She said they were getting ready to fly home and couldn't take the balloon on the plane. She asked if my DS would like the balloon. Well, DS was thrilled to take it! And since we were flying too, we kept the balloon for the week then re-gifted it to another little boy. Those balloons last for a while! It was still fully inflated when we gave it away. And DS was happy to make another little boy happy. Plus, Mommy didn't have to fool with trying to get the balloon home! A win-win situation! :)

We did the same thing last year outside of POP. I like to keep the balloon in the room the entire trip to keep the AC circulating, so as we were leaving to board the ME we caught a family that had just checked in and gave it to their little girl. She was so excited and my DS3 made a new friend. :)

I did this with the extra bubbles (line entertainment), snacks, etc. that we had also. I let my DD16, her BFF16, and DS walk around by the lobby that morning while I finished packing (partially to get them out of my hair :) ) and make some magic!

We gave ours away last time as well. The look on a little kids face when they get a free balloon is like watching an adult win the lottery. It is priceless (well, except for the $10 balloon, lol).

It also gave my DD4 a wonderful sense of giving. We will be doing it again next trip.

Jenny

Before boarding our flight last September he flight attendent told us we had to pop it. It was the 2 in one mickey head that lights up too:sad1:

We just got back from a week at the "World" and when we flew out of MCO on Spirit a little girl brought her inflated balloon (the 2 in 1 kind) on the plane, no problem.
Didn't see if they deflated it after they were already seated, but they walked down the aisle with it still inflated.

Love the idea of re-gifting the balloon! We will be doing this for our upcoming Aug trip, thanks for the great idea!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter