Can someone explain the DDE card ins and outs to me???

Not sure I really understand. Being kind of blonde!!!!!!:confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3
The DDE card costs you $65. Let's say you use the DDE card when paying for a meal bill that costs $100, saving you $20. So now you've spent $65 for the card but you made back $20, so you are still $45 "in the red". You use the card for another meal that costs $125, saving you $25. Apply that to your initial costs and you are still $20 "in the red". Use it for another $100 meal bill, save another $20 and now you've made back the cost of your card. So it's only when the running total of your DDE-eligible meal costs have exceeded $325 that your savings really is money in your pocket rather than just making back the money you spent on the DDE card.

Not sure I really understand. Being kind of blonde!!!!!!:confused3 :confused3 :confused3 :confused3

The card costs $65 (with AP discount). In order to recoup the cost of the card, you need to consume $325 of eligible foodstuffs (pre-discount cost). Anything less you you've ended up paying more because you had to pay for the card. Anything more, and you are finally actually saving money.

The DDE card was originally for Florida residents, to bring them in to the parks more, where they might actually be able to realize the savings. AP holders may also visit frequently enough.

You really need to eat at enough TS meals, or with enough people (since everyone in your party up to 8 or so gets the discount) over the course of the year to warrant the DDE card. And if you want TS meals, of course you should be thinking ADRs... :)

DW and I had just 4 TS meals last month, but in December we have several more, and we'll have 2 more adults and 2 kids with us - so we'll hit break even pretty quick.

I'm pretty sure it is NOT accepted at Artist's Palette, but it is at Turf Club (which is TS). Nothing I've read on the DDE site or anything else has indicated Artist's Palette is part of the plan - at least since March...

AP might take it if Turf Club is closed for refurb or something like that...

I just pulled out the sheet my card came on with all the participating locations on it and Aritist's Palette is listed along with TC and TC Bar & Grill

OK am I over thinking this but you already get 10% with DVC or AP card so don't you have to consider that you are only get the entra 10% on those places?

OK am I over thinking this but you already get 10% with DVC or AP card so don't you have to consider that you are only get the entra 10% on those places?

Yes and no. DDE covers some restaurants that AP doesn't, and some AP restaurants the discount is only available for lunch and DDE can be used for lunch and dinner. Also get 1/2 price PI, free admission ( + guest) at Atlantic Dance Hall, free valet parking.

And just to make things even MORE confusing, LOL - if you wouldn't normally buy an AP, then you need to factor the cost of THAT into your break-even point as well! :crazy:

Honestly, I am beginning to think there IS no plan for Gophers! I have done the math for the DDE and the DDP backwards and forwards. We fall in a very unique demographic pool: 2 adults, 2 kids (who count as adults by Disney standards at age 12 and 11 but don't eat like them!) and one child. We do NOT normally buy an AP - we buy non-expiring park hopper or MYW passes. We visit WDW for 1-2 weeks every other year. We do not go to the parks every day - for a 9 day stay, we might do the parks for 4 or 5 whole days, intermittent with days off at a water park or two, or just hang out at the resort.

So a DDP for us would not make sense - we would have to pay 37.99 each day for our two boys to eat like birdies. Yikes! And DDE seemed like a good choice... except it doesn't work at snack stations, doesn't work for a lot of CS service, and while it offers 20% off, we first have to mitigate that against the cost of the AP and the DDE card ($370 plus another 65, so $435.) DH isn't a big drinker (as in, hardly EVER) and our bar tab is minimal, so DDE doesn't help us there, LOL! By my calcs, it would take a food bill of at least $2175 for us to break even, taking into account the AP and DDE! Now, maybe that's fudged a bit, because, after all, we can use the AP to get in the parks on our trip. SO let's say we use it (per our usual practices) for 4 days out of our 7 day stay. Ok, that was like getting a 4 day pass with hopping (which I would never do because it's more cost effective to buy more days and add the "no expiration" clause, but WHATEVER), well, then 435-273 is $162, which means I would still have to spend over $810 in TS and applicable CS to break even. Now, we could probably spend that much over a 7 day stay if we did some nice TS - but not by all that much. At $115 per day we would need to spend, that's near break-even for 4 adult and one child buffet/character meal at most ofthe places in the parks, and perhaps on the low side of a "nice" meal at say, Le Cellier (but my boys would likely not both get an adult meal there - they might get a single adult meal and share, or one adult, one kid meal. You get the idea!) And there's still the tips to be paid for every $ we spend, too. I usually tip around 20% so when I think about it, with DDE, I'm just breaking even with the tip! The more we spend to "offset" our inital cost... the more we tip! DOH! It's a never-ending cycle! We did DDP last trip because tipping was included, and at that time, our boys were young enough to still be "kids"....it was a pretty good deal. Heck, just one day for a kid was LESS than the cost of a TS, and you got an extra CS and snack as "gifts" on the side! Who can argue with that? But now even DDP doesn't provide the tip, either! AUGH!!!!! Someone stop the dining insanity!!! :headache:

So until my kids become much better eaters (perhaps in their teen years? popcorn:: ) or Disney gets educated about families with kids that aren't REALLY adult-sized and offers a "juniors" plan :teacher: or perhaps my DH turns to the bottle and runs up a massive bar tab:drinking1 ... perhaps there is no plan for gophers? :confused3

I just pulled out the sheet my card came on with all the participating locations on it and Aritist's Palette is listed along with TC and TC Bar & Grill

Chelle, I found my most recent DDE sheet and it lists all three also. I ordered in April and received the card in early May. Wonder which is more up to date....our lists or allears info?

Yea DDE vs. DDP comes down to you have to know how you eat at the park.

I've posted before, we (me and my wife) normally eat 1 or 2 TS per day. Normally a late breakfast and a normal to late dinner.

During the day we only buy drinks at the park, we pack peanuts, and some meal replacement bars. My wife has an egg allergy (she gets congested, and normally throws-up.) You would be AMAZED at how much fast food has eggs in it. So we like to use TS because at Disney TS always has an "Allergy Chef" and I can't think of a single time she has gotten sick at Disney TS.

Add to it we often "Entertain" at Disney by inviting our friends and family down to stay with us. So a lot of times we have 4+ people eating at like California Grill.

Also one advantage no one pointed out yet, it's 20% off your TOTAL bill. This includes "Adult beverages", a couple of bottles of wine or a few mixed drinks with dinner...

That said, the DDE is a MUCH better deal for us the DDP. But YMMV... You have to do the math and know how/where you eat.

johno

FYI...
The DDE card allowed me to valet park my car at the Poly during my 4 night stay. That was a $40 dollar savings.

JimMIA has reported that anyone who uses the DDE will have an automatic 18% tip added to their bill.

I am guessing this will take place in 08 just like the new dining plan changes.

FYI...
The DDE card allowed me to valet park my car at the Poly during my 4 night stay. That was a $40 dollar savings.

Only if you would have used valet parking anyways... :)

JimMIA has reported that anyone who uses the DDE will have an automatic 18% tip added to their bill.

I am guessing this will take place in 08 just like the new dining plan changes.

I hadn't heard this - and this is the exact opposite of the new dining plan changes. I think automatically including tip is a bad idea as it gives less incentive to the staff to provide exceptional service.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter