Can I use a ziplock bag that is smaller than quart sized?

swild19

Mouseketeer
Do you think that I can use a ziplock bag that is smaller than quart size? I am only planning on having a couple of 3oz bottles and they will fit in a sandwich sized ziplock. Do you think that will be okay. I don't want to buy a whole box of quart sized ones if I can just use a smaller one.

Theoretically yes.

However, on www.flyertalk.com there have been reports of TSA agents on a power trip refusing to allow passengers to use ANYTHING but the quart size bag. (Apparently they can't tell it's smaller? Who knows?) I just bought the box, it seemed easier then worrying about it!

I would not advise it. TSA is VERY rigid about this rule.

Mary
MouseSavers.com

Depends on the TSA agent you encounter - some don't care and some are real sticklers for the "rules". Why risk it? Go buy a box of Quart Sized bags at the Dollar Tree and don't worry about it.

Somewhere on the TSA site I thought I read quart size or smaller but I can't find it now.

However, during a recent trip through Philly my MIL had to dispose of her less than 3oz hand sanitizer and toothpaste because she had them in a zip lock sandwich bag not a quart bag. Since she was on her way home it was easier just to pitch them than to leave the line to purchase a quart size bag. Of course this same exact bag with the same contents were fine in Logan on the way out.

In addition to the 3-1-1 motto, my own motto lately is "just do it" :) Get the quart size ziplock, use the 3.4 oz clearly marked travel size bottles inside and hope for the best.

TJ

Remember Harry Potter put a "Magical Spell" on quart size bags only. Those smaller baggies didn't get the "Magical Spell" and are therefore DANGEROUS. (Makes as much sense as any other reason for refusing a SMALLER baggie!)

We each used a sandwich size bag this weekend and no one said anything.
I never thought it to be an issue, but maybe we were just lucky.

From the TSA site:

On Tuesday, September 26, TSA adjusted the ban on liquids, gels, and aerosols.

Air travelers may now carry liquids, gels and aerosols in their carry-on bag when going through security checkpoints.

With certain exceptions for prescription and over-the-counter medicines, baby formula and breast milk, and other essential liquids, gels, and aerosols, the following rules apply to all liquids, gels, and aerosols you want to carry through a security checkpoint.

All liquids, gels and aerosols must be in three-ounce or smaller containers. Larger containers that are half-full or toothpaste tubes rolled up are not allowed. Each container must be three ounces or smaller.
All liquids, gels and aerosols must be placed in a single, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag. Gallon size bags or bags that are not zip-top such as fold-over sandwich bags are not allowed. Each traveler can use only one, quart-size, zip-top, clear plastic bag.
Each traveler must remove their quart-sized plastic, zip-top bag from their carry-on and place it in a bin or on the conveyor belt for X-ray screening. X-raying separately will allow TSA security officers to more easily examine the declared items.
Please keep in mind that these rules were developed after extensive research and understanding of current threats. They are intended to help air travelers bring essential toiletries and other liquids, gels and aerosols for short trips. If you need larger amounts of liquids, gels and aerosols such as toothpaste or shampoo, please place them in your luggage and check them with your airline.

To ensure the health and welfare of certain air travelers there are no limits on the amounts of the following liquids, gels and aerosols you may carry through a security checkpoint:

Baby formula and breast milk if a baby or small child is traveling;
All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops, and saline solution for medical purposes;
Liquids including water, juice, or liquid nutrition or gels for passengers with a disability or medical condition;
Life-support and life-sustaining liquids such as bone marrow, blood products, and transplant organs;
Items used to augment the body for medical or cosmetic reasons such as mastectomy products, prosthetic breasts, bras or shells containing gels, saline solution, or other liquids; and,
Gels or frozen liquids needed to cool disability or medically related items used by persons with disabilities or medical conditions.
You are not limited in the amount or volume of these above items you may bring in your carry-on baggage. However, if these items are in containers larger than three ounces, please perform the following:

Separate these items from the liquids, gels, and aerosols in your quart-size and zip-top bag.
Declare you have the items to one of our Security Officers at the security checkpoint.
Present these items for additional inspection once reaching the X-ray. These items are subject to additional screening.
We have also taken steps to ensure the security boarding areas after you pass through our security checkpoints. Therefore, any liquid, gel, or aerosol such as coffee or soda purchased in the secure area after you process through a security checkpoint is allowed aboard your plane.

A printable version of the prohibited items listing is available. Prohibited Items List (PDF 164 KB)

To effectively communicate important security information, we translated these changes into a variety of languages. Security Information In Other Languages

You are permitted to bring solid cosmetics and personal hygiene items as such lipstick, lip balm and similar solids.

We ask for your cooperation in the screening process by being prepared before you arrive. We also ask that you follow the guidelines above and try not to over-think these guidelines. Please pack liquids, gels, and aerosols in your checked baggage even if you do not normally check a bag.

In addition to liquids, gels, and aerosols numerous other potentially dangerous items are not permitted in carry-on baggage. We strongly encourage travelers to read more about previously prohibited items to avoid complications during screening.

The site used to say quart size or smaller, it now just says quart sized.

They don't want people using the foldover type of sandwich bag. I've never seen that style of bag in larger (quart) sized bags.

Obviously there isn't anything magical about a one quart (as opposed to smaller) bag but the TSA wants bags that stay closed.

Most TSA agents are nearly robots. Use the Quart size bag and save yourself some potential aggravation and loss of your products.

Lewisc said:
The site used to say quart size or smaller, it now just says quart sized.

They don't want people using the foldover type of sandwich bag. I've never seen that style of bag in larger (quart) sized bags.

Obviously there isn't anything magical about a one quart (as opposed to smaller) bag but the TSA wants bags that stay closed.

Lewis

There has to be something magical... The TSA is refusing smaller baggies WITH zip tops so it can't be the closing... it must be the baggie. :wizard:

(Or theory number two... TSA management is getting a kickback from the baggie companies based on the increased sales in quart size baggies. Just about everyone I know had sandwich and gallon size so they have had to go BUY quart size)

The truth is no one knows why they may not allow sandwich size baggies. It's just not something worth fighting about.

How long until the TSA is selling TSA-Approved Quart-sized zipper top bags? :confused3 :rotfl2:

A little off topic, but---
Are new disposable contact lenses which are sealed in a drop of solution supposed to be placed in the quart-sized bags, too, or since they are prescriptions, are they supposed to be separate? If separate, do they have to be removed from carry-ons and presented, or do they stay in the carry-on for screening?
TIA

I think for us we will just put all our toiletries in our checked baggage. We are not using ME so we should have our luggage right away (unless they lose it all for all 5 of us, let's hope not) and I just don't want to deal with small bottles, bags, did I do it right, did I screw it up. I can't think of any products we would need to have with us so I think for us the best solution is just to check it all.

Allyson

EEyorelover22 said:
Does it matter what type of zip top it has? Meaning slider or the other zip tops?

I thought I read is has to be clear (no brand that has pre-printed writing on the bag).

HappyCamperToo said:
I thought I read is has to be clear (no brand that has pre-printed writing on the bag).

That's bad....mine all say Ziploc.

Anyone know the answer to this one?

The TSA says clear plastic, so that is what I would use. I wouldn't use anything with a namebrand on it, just to be on the safe side. The zipper top can be either the slide zipper top or the pressed together zipper top.

I am not sure about the disposable contact as the TSA just addresses the saline issue. You can have any size of saline as long as you declare it. If it is under 3 oz you can put it in your quart bag. I might err on the side of caution, keep the contacts separate and declare them. You can always throw them in the quart bag after. Maybe someone here has had a personal experience. I had LASIK so no more need for contacts. :thumbsup2 :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter