• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

campsite for big TT and new drivers

FredS

DIS Veteran
We are making our first trek to FW with a 30 ft TT, with awning, pulling with an extended cab truck. We are very inexperienced at backing up. We have reservations for a full hookup site and have requested loop 600. In retrospect, we mostly want a site that is easy to back into!

I have read the info on disneycampers which has specs on a few sites, but if anyone has been in a site that is particularly easy OR particularly difficult to back into please relay that info to help us. I am seriously considering faxing FW with our concern (I am sure that they hear this a lot!) and would love to have a site number or two that we could request. Thanks!!

FredS, I feel your angst!! We went down with a 33' tt and had a difficult time backing in. DH dropped anchor at the next site and then I called the desk to "ask" ;) if that was ok. Thankfully, it was. Unfortunately, I can't suggest specific sites, but I do know CM's are always willing to help, and you'll actually get good help from neighboring campers!! BTW, communicating your concerns to FW ahead of arrival sounds like a good idea to me. Can't hurt!

Good luck! :D

I would call and ask for an easy site to back into. They do have a book that shows the actual layout of sites on all the loops. I know 1307 is one of the easy sites. It is right at a sharp bend in the loop and the drive lines up almost perfect with the loop road so it is almost a straight back in. Most of the sites are not a problem but I have seen some that are very challenging especially for longer rigs like yours.

Your set up s simular to ours. i would suggest going to a mall parking lot and practice, put some orange cones out. When you get to the campsite survey it yourself, have a spotter in back and one near the front to watch the side and the truck, take your time and don't let anyone rush you. keep an eye on the front of the truck, those pesky sunken trash cans and site markers can leave a nice brown streak on the truck if not careful:eek: :eek: , as mentioned others will come on by and offer assistance, have fun thats the name of the game.... it gets easy in time.

one other thing before unhooking the trailer check to be sure your slide will clear any obstacles and that your awning has a clear path as well, fort wilderness has strategically placed trees and power boxes at the site that are sometimes in the way of slides and awnings.

Since I seem to have the best ability to back the trailer, I am particularly interested in an easier spot to back into! (DH says he will be primarily in charge of driving it forward, and I will be in charge of backing.)

We picked out a couple of spots in the 600 loop which seemed large enough without obstacles or extreme angles for backing. If those two aren't available we were hoping for other possible sites to request which have the better angle and larger area in the full hookup loops.

I prepared a packing list (compiled from three partial lists) and it is a bit intimidating. Not planning on a heavy load but if you write down everything you need to take it is a looong list. Luckily we already have 90% of it, but need to make another run to Wal-mart for a few items.

Leaving in four days!

Have fun! I can't wait till our first camping/FW trip to WDW (in 2004 most likely) :)

Oh yeah, Disney Campers, we hit one of those trash cans lol! Didn't even seen it. Luckily our truck is black so you couldn't tell.

I second the "don't rush" comment! The more harried you are the harder it is to get the trailer "just right". And plan to arrive during daylight hours. Don't laugh! We drove from Mass, stayed over at South of the Border and got to FW around 8pm. It was just dark enough to make it really difficult!

daylight is a great recomendation, first trip to the Fort with our new 31 foot trailer, we arrived about 10 pm and we were put in as we call it Neptune Gulch - the 1900 loop, which is in the back forty, it was interesting getting in that site, I knew we would arrive at night so I installed some lights on the back of the trailer to aid in backing, bought them at walmart for less than 20.00, good addition if you ever plan to arrive at any campground at nightime.

Freds:

Request the first right or left campsite going into a loop they seem to have the most room to move around. Also tell them the total lenght of your rig not just the trailer size. I have a F-350 crew cab drw and 35' 5er making me about 53' long bumper to bumper. The more backing practice you can do the easier it will get.

Have a fun trip

Supercrewzer

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter