Calling all Princesses! (2014 Princess Half Marathon Weekend)- thread #2

I was doing sooooo good until a few weeks ago. I got totally derailed! I've run maybe 2x in the last 3 weeks. Christmas and bad weather have gotten in my way...ready to get back on track. So, how do I jump back in? Galloway training has 9.5 miles today. My last long run was 7 miles the week after thanksgiving. I was thinking 4 miles today and then 9.5 next week with 2 30 min runs during the week??? Wwyd? Thanks
I went out today knowing I was not up to 9.5 but needed a good run. I did 7.2 and was satisfied but sore. Try to go as far as you can and forgive the rest;) At least you are still building up.

I was doing sooooo good until a few weeks ago. I got totally derailed! I've run maybe 2x in the last 3 weeks. Christmas and bad weather have gotten in my way...ready to get back on track. So, how do I jump back in? Galloway training has 9.5 miles today. My last long run was 7 miles the week after thanksgiving. I was thinking 4 miles today and then 9.5 next week with 2 30 min runs during the week??? Wwyd? Thanks

I lost about a month of training due to a busy schedule, but it was a little earlier in the process. I jumped back in modestly - skipped a Magic Mile and cut the mileage by a hair to prevent injury. I'm nearly caught up now but not all of the way - ran 7 miles two Sundays ago instead of the intended 8, ran a Magic Mile last Sunday, and trying to figure out what to do for tomorrow. Supposed to run 9.5, but going to shoot for 8.5 or 9 and see where I land. If I get to 9.5, awesome! But I'm not going to push it. Would rather be a hair shy of the 13.1 in my training and not risk injury. ;)

So glad to hear I'm not the only one who's a bit behind in my training! The last few weeks have just been crazy, and I haven't been able to fit it in like I want to. I did an 8 miler this week and feel great afterwards, so I'm going to try the 9.5 on Tuesday. (It was on the Galloway schedule for this weekend.) fortunately January is a slow month, so I should be good from now on. It's getting so close!!!

So glad to hear I'm not the only one who's a bit behind in my training! The last few weeks have just been crazy, and I haven't been able to fit it in like I want to. I did an 8 miler this week and feel great afterwards, so I'm going to try the 9.5 on Tuesday. (It was on the Galloway schedule for this weekend.) fortunately January is a slow month, so I should be good from now on. It's getting so close!!!

I know - it's getting really real. :) I did 8 on the treadmill today (plus the half mile between warmup and cooldown). I really wanted to go farther, but my body really started aching around 6.5 and I was afraid to push it. I'm getting a little nervous that we're so close and I'm not back on schedule yet. But then I remind myself that, just about a month ago, 5 miles was tough for me. And today, I still felt pretty strong at 5. :) So maybe a month from now, I'll still feel pretty strong at 8.5, and a few weeks later, still strong at 11 or 12. And then the adrenaline on raceday will propel me to the 13.1.

Right? :D

I know - it's getting really real. :) I did 8 on the treadmill today (plus the half mile between warmup and cooldown). I really wanted to go farther, but my body really started aching around 6.5 and I was afraid to push it. I'm getting a little nervous that we're so close and I'm not back on schedule yet. But then I remind myself that, just about a month ago, 5 miles was tough for me. And today, I still felt pretty strong at 5. :) So maybe a month from now, I'll still feel pretty strong at 8.5, and a few weeks later, still strong at 11 or 12. And then the adrenaline on raceday will propel me to the 13.1. Right? :D
Right!!! I did a 10k in October and really had to push to finish. Last week's 8 miler was SO much easier with a few more months under my belt. I think we'll be just fine!!

I too am glad I am not the only one behind...was up to 8 miles 2 weeks ago did 4 last weekend but missed my 9.5 this weekend, Will try to do it next weekend. Just don't want to push it and get injured

I know - it's getting really real. :) I did 8 on the treadmill today (plus the half mile between warmup and cooldown). I really wanted to go farther, but my body really started aching around 6.5 and I was afraid to push it. I'm getting a little nervous that we're so close and I'm not back on schedule yet. But then I remind myself that, just about a month ago, 5 miles was tough for me. And today, I still felt pretty strong at 5. :) So maybe a month from now, I'll still feel pretty strong at 8.5, and a few weeks later, still strong at 11 or 12. And then the adrenaline on raceday will propel me to the 13.1.

Right? :D

That's what I keep telling myself every time I don't want to go out and train. It's getting to close to back out now!

That's what I keep telling myself every time I don't want to go out and train. It's getting to close to back out now!

I know! I told DH the other day that I really have no choice but to train, because if I don't, I'm really really going to regret it come February 23rd. ;)

I know! I told DH the other day that I really have no choice but to train, because if I don't, I'm really really going to regret it come February 23rd. ;)

Exactly! If I'm having a really tough run, I keep telling myself that I'd rather be sucking wind now than in Disney World on race day!

So, I come to the wisdom of the group. I had a hysterectomy on 12/20 and have been pretty laid up since then. I signed up for the Princess half last summer. The date will be about 10 weeks post surgery. Deferring will be a cost and we aren't sure whether we want to plan next year's vacation around it. I have a qualifying time that should get me at least to the middle of the pack I would think. Am I crazy to try? I won't be able to run, but I bet I would be able to walk it. Any thoughts? It's just a sunk cost otherwise and we are taking the vacation.....if I get swept I figure I get swept.

kathleendsm said:
So, I come to the wisdom of the group. I had a hysterectomy on 12/20 and have been pretty laid up since then. I signed up for the Princess half last summer. The date will be about 10 weeks post surgery. Deferring will be a cost and we aren't sure whether we want to plan next year's vacation around it. I have a qualifying time that should get me at least to the middle of the pack I would think. Am I crazy to try? I won't be able to run, but I bet I would be able to walk it. Any thoughts? It's just a sunk cost otherwise and we are taking the vacation.....if I get swept I figure I get swept.

I would definitely walk it if I were you! Rest up from your surgery for as long as you need to and then when your body is ready go out for a walk and see how it feels/what kind of pace you're at with walking. Maybe depending on your healing time you could do like 90% walking and 10% jogging? Have you chatted with your doctor about this? I don't know a lot about hysterectomies but my boyfriend's mom had one in the summer and she was like 2weeks before she felt okay to walk her dogs and go back to work and stuff. So just going off that you'd still have plenty of time to train if you do decided to walk (or walk-run) the race! Good luck and hope your recovery is going well :)

Personally, I would go but with plans to simply have fun with no pressure. As you say, if you get swept, you get swept. Your body and long-term health should be first priority, so if you can walk and maintain a pace sufficient to finish, awesome! If not, you'll still enjoy a wonderful vacation without incurring additional costs of deferring.

One word of advice, though... I wouldn't run. Ten weeks post-op, especially after a hysterectomy, seems way too early to put that much stress on your body. Walking, with your doctor's permission, should be fine. But take it easy this go-around and save the running for the next race. :thumbsup2

Personally, I would go but with plans to simply have fun with no pressure. As you say, if you get swept, you get swept. Your body and long-term health should be first priority, so if you can walk and maintain a pace sufficient to finish, awesome! If not, you'll still enjoy a wonderful vacation without incurring additional costs of deferring.

One word of advice, though... I wouldn't run. Ten weeks post-op, especially after a hysterectomy, seems way too early to put that much stress on your body. Walking, with your doctor's permission, should be fine. But take it easy this go-around and save the running for the next race. :thumbsup2

Oh! there is no way I would run. I wouldn't have nearly enough time to train, and between this and an injury I haven't run in over 2 months. I am only 10 days post op now and still dealing with significant fatigue.

I am signed up for the 5k as well and figure that and walking around in the parks in the days before can be my barometer. If it is too hard, I will just skip the half entirely. If not, I can give it the old college try, sticking way over to the side to let the fast pass me of course! I would dearly love to add that medal to my collection.

Oh! there is no way I would run. I wouldn't have nearly enough time to train, and between this and an injury I haven't run in over 2 months. I am only 10 days post op now and still dealing with significant fatigue. I am signed up for the 5k as well and figure that and walking around in the parks in the days before can be my barometer. If it is too hard, I will just skip the half entirely. If not, I can give it the old college try, sticking way over to the side to let the fast pass me of course! I would dearly love to add that medal to my collection.
I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago and I remember I was slow going for quite awhile. It took me about 5 weeks before I started feeling somewhat normal. Don't push it. I would try to get to the race early so u can get in the front of your corral to give you a bit of a cushion from being swept. Good luck!

I'm 10 days ahead of you...had mine in dec 10. No way could I think about running yet! Walking is good, but I guess did you train up to the point of surgery, if yes, then I think you will be ok to walk it.

Joining in!

Is anyone else doing GSC and having trouble with the back to back training? Normally I only run every other day and cross train in between but I've done a few back to back runs and cramped up and come out with slight (overuse) injuries every time. Tips?

I am signed up for the 5k as well and figure that and walking around in the parks in the days before can be my barometer. If it is too hard, I will just skip the half entirely. If not, I can give it the old college try, sticking way over to the side to let the fast pass me of course!
:thumbsup2 That sounds like a solid plan! I wish you a very speedy recovery.

Joining in!

Is anyone else doing GSC and having trouble with the back to back training? Normally I only run every other day and cross train in between but I've done a few back to back runs and cramped up and come out with slight (overuse) injuries every time. Tips?
I haven't really tried yet; priority #1 was recovering from a strained hip flexor in time for the WDW Half, so back-to-backs took a backseat, if you will. I'm not that worried, though - I walked the heck out of EP last year the day after PHM and felt fine, and often wind up walking theme parks after longish runs year-round. My GSC plan is to see how my body feels then and take it easy or push it accordingly.

Are you taking both days' runs at the same intensity? I know Galloway recommends not running the first day at all, walking it only.

Joining in!

Honestly I've only done two. First was 1.25 miles, the day before an 8 mile run and the second was 2.25 miles, the day before a 10 miler. Both seemed ok. I did take it much easier on the 10 miler than normal, because I was fighting a cold. But I did notice that my legs were more tired a bit on that 10 miler. I'm supposed to do 11/3 this weekend, but I got messed up on my training plan because of illnesses running rampant through our house, so I'm going to do that long run combo next Mon/Tues, I think. I might be further ahead in distance than typical half training plans because I'm doing the Tink in a few weeks.

I would like to share that the day after the wine & dine (which I ended up walking the last 3-4 miles of), I felt like I could go out and run another half that day. I was shocked. I don't know why my legs felt so good. My legs felt like garbage going into the race (my shins were so sore from too much walking the thurs/fri before) but sunday, I felt fantastic! I didn't even stretch after the half, because I basically collapsed into the med tent shivering and nauseous.

so not that I want to repeat that experience, but if I felt like I could run a half the day after a half, I figure I can maybe run a half the day after a slow and steady 6 miles.....

It's still a bit early to worry yet. Build up your mileage and your body will respond on race weekend.

my first back-to-back was this weekend, 2 miles on saturday and 9.5 on sunday. it wasn't bad during the run. i was pretty slow on the 9.5, but the day after and today i am much more sore than usual. i didn't even finish the 30 minute run today, but my sickness is creeping up again and i blame that.

Anyone else doing a New Years Day run?

DH and I are doing the "Hair of the Dog" 4 mile run that benefits our local YMCA.

Predicted temperature at race start? A "balmy" 23 degrees!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter