Calling all Princess 1/2 Marathoner's! Check in here! *UPDATE* PRE-RACE MEET INFO!

Which hotel are you staying at or thinking of staying at?

• All Stars (Movies)*

• POP or other All Stars

• CBR*

• POFQ

• POR

• Saratoga Springs

• POLY*

• Beach/YC

• AKL

• Coronado Springs

• Boardwalk

• Off property/or other hotel not listed

Results are only viewable after voting.
you know you want that tiara medal!!

OK I admit it :) My first race at Disney SHOULD be with a tiara medal :rotfl:

This Sept starts my last and final year of grad school, so if I get a job (like I hope) I will be booking.........assuming that the race is not sold out. However, if I don't get a job (god forbid) then I better hope I am subsituting like crazy so I can still go :)

So I guess I am going regardless - LOL assuming I am making $$$$$$ :laughing:

swim mom -- don't forget they have those nice hammocks at the Poly beach -- i am sure you could stay there if you have to, and no one would notice.. LOL ;) or i could slip you on to our balcony..... LOL

The good thing is, you have 10 months - Ebay, yard sale, do whatever it takes for that medal!!! Let me know WHEN (not IF) you sign up! Then i'll add you to the list..

Swim-mom, I think we are in the same boat. I got my DVC trips lined up for 2 years, and trying not to borrow anymore. (I'm already halfway into 09) I've spent a couple of hours at least trying to cook up something reasonable, looking at Hotel Plaza Blvd hotels, etc. The Best Western on Hotel Plaza has rates around $105. I really need something with a fridge and a coffeepot, to help defer some costs. I might book something and then wait until June and see if one of the Mod's have a good AP rate or something.

Went to go register and drew a blank. Do I want party tickets? Are ya'll going to the party? I haven't done the P&P Party yet...is there a special party for race participants? Or is it one night that we would all go with the rest of the public? Or do we pick any party night that we are going to be down there during that time frame? I guess I am just confused!! What else is new....

Well better get runnin', got my new shoes today. Went to one of those speciality shops and the guy commented on no wonder my knee gives me heck, I've been wearing the worst kind of shoe for my gait/arch. Anxious to see if the new ones help. Oh, had to pick up some new shorts too. Man, I might need a second job with all the goodies I want. ;)

Good questions Rozzie! I've never been to a P&P yet, but I bought a discounted ticket. I assume (ya I know!) that it is for the night of the race.

I'm hoping for a good rate at Pop! It's been my favorite resort lately and since the Princess 1/2 is during peak season (who thought that was a good idea?) that is really my only choice....good thing I like it so much!

Hopefully we will know more soon.

Good questions Rozzie! I've never been to a P&P yet, but I bought a discounted ticket. I assume (ya I know!) that it is for the night of the race.

I'm hoping for a good rate at Pop! It's been my favorite resort lately and since the Princess 1/2 is during peak season (who thought that was a good idea?) that is really my only choice....good thing I like it so much!

Hopefully we will know more soon.

I've stayed at POP before, and if I can get a AP rate it would be hard to pass up. It really is a good value. Especially with the transportation issue at hand. This trip is going to be a "extra" non planned trip, and really trying to keep costs to a minimum. We'll be there for a week in May already planned.

I agree on the peak season, how much is POP right now? Anyone got a room yet? Probably about $115? I just might do that and bring my own coffeepot. ;)

I looked online at Hal Higdon's training schedules and pretty much went by the novice one. I started walking in March, completed both the 5k and 15k at minnie in May, then took the rest of may off. In June I did 3 days a week of TM - 2 or 3 miles each day. Then on saturday I did my long run/walk. I think I started with a 4 mile LR/W and increased it by one mile each week. Most training plans will tell you to cross train on opposite days from running, but I never did. I felt it was too overwhelming to have something to do everyday. I think you got one rest day per week.

For all of my races I modify the training schedule to work for me. Just do a search for Hal Higdon and you will find his website.

Becky

Thanks so much!

As for the P&P party -- my dd went with my MIL last weekend - (well, may 2) and they had a BLAST.. i didn't go b/c the 5k was the next day - and i didn't want to stay out til 12am..
However, i watched the special Wishes fireworks from the Grand, and they were awesome... i can't wait to be able to go! I got tix for all of us - me, my mom, my sis (all who are doing the 1/2 with me) and then got them for my MIL and my dd too.. :)

I'm in for the half!!!

Had a drink with friends tonight and was telling them about our trip and the one that I trained with for the Minnie jumped in and said she wanted to go next year. A little explanation about the changes and the next thing I know all 4 women there are ready to go, spend the weekend together and 3 of the 4 of us are going to run it! (the 4th had reconstructive knee surgery and short of carrying her I think it is best if she plays the role of support team)

Came home and told DH of our plan and he is all for me taking of with the ladies for the weekend!!!!! I even have an AP this year so I will get 3 trips out of it!!!! Unbelievable!!!!:banana:

I have a question do I have to buy a ticket to the P&P or just for the others in my party? This is my first Disney Running experience and I am a little confused.

Welcome to Sara and Tinkerbelle!!

jakenjacksmom - yes, you need a ticket as well. :) They are however "discounted" LOL I think it was about $40 for the tix -- my registration was $163 for race and ticket. HTH

I will update the list later tonight! :)

I made it official tonight and registered. Bought a ticket and pin too. :upsidedow

I'm planning on signing up for the 1/2. I will probably sign up after I return from WDW (16 more days!!!!). I want to make sure I have all the spending money I need for that trip, so I am going to risk it and wait til June 8 to sign up. This will be my first half, and possibly my first real race. I amy try to find a 5 k somewhere nearby for the fall, just so I can get the first one out of the way.

Even though I'm not a fan of the Princess theme, the idea of another quick trip to Disney seems very tempting. Does anyone think another half marathon in March would be too soon after the half in January?

I was also wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what the airfare would be like. I've never travelled during March before.

Even though I'm not a fan of the Princess theme, the idea of another quick trip to Disney seems very tempting. Does anyone think another half marathon in March would be too soon after the half in January?

I was also wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what the airfare would be like. I've never travelled during March before.

Hi Vicky,

I will be doing the WDW Jan half and then return in March for the new Princess half. BUT - I am a walker and while I am working very hard for me, I don't think it is the same level of stress on my body that some of the fast runners put on theirs. I think the rule of thumb is to take a day off for every mile you raced. I did the Indy half May 3rd and will do the Madison WI half on May 25th. I am sure I will be fine.

As far as airfare goes, I figure it is only going to go up. Gas in my area is over $4 a gallon. Ouch! Plus it is peak season at the WDW resorts! Who thought it was a good idea to schedule an event during peak season:confused3 I've never stayed at Disney during peak, but I am making an exception to do the INAUGURAL Princess half. I don't think I will be back in future years, but you never know. Hope to see you there!

swim-mom, i believe there will be some sort of discount - I personally went ahead and already booked a Garden view Concierge room, b/c i know those won't be discounted anyway.. LOL And, if AP rates come out,we will try to upgrade to a MK view concierge room..

hope you decide to join us!!!! you know you want that tiara medal!!

OMG, you are so funny :laughing:

You are right!!! I do want that medal, but I have to be realistic......I NEED a JOB :) in SEPT!!! With 4 children, the extra cash needs to be there.

However, once I sign on that dotted LINE for a JOB....I AM COMING :banana:

I will keep you posted!!!

I really want to do this one but I won't know about our avaibility to commit to a trip until this fall. We may be going to Ireland so if we do wdw will be out for 09. Any idea how long it will take for it to full up based on past experience? I know the marathon filled up right away.

Thanks

I have registered OFFICIALLY! (and I'm not telling my DH just yet :wave2: )

I have always wanted to do a Disney Marathon and I love the idea of doing this Inaugural race (and to wear a princess crown as I run). I have never gone to WDW during peak season either (& pride myself on that), but this race is just too good to miss.

I will let some of you who are in the know.... that Cam inspired me to do this, of Keenercam fame. I have been following her Vow Renewal Planning Journal (VRPJ) and I hope that I get to meet some of the wonderful people that she talks about when she does the marathons.

I am 42, mother of twin 4y.o. boys and full time graduate student (except this summer). I'm in no shape for this race, and will have to train-to-train. I love the idea of being supported and encouraged by the people on these boards. I can't wait to meet y'all.

My name is Donna, and I have just joined DVC this week!:cheer2: But have not booked anywhere yet. THANKS!

Welcome Donna! If you are just starting out I highly recommend John Bingham's Marathoning for Mortals (MFM) He has a plan to walk, walk/run, run/walk and run both a half and full marathon. He writes in a very entertaining and easy to understand way. This is very do-able!

Congrats on DVC (should have done it years ago!). See you in March!

Welcome Donna! Another mother of twins here -- mine are 16-yr-old identical (Well, genetically if in no other respect! :) ) girls.

Enjoy your training. I KNOW you'll love the half! :banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter