Calling All OKW Experts

Annie&Hallie'sMom

<font color=deeppink>Things turn out best for peop
Ok, forgive me as I am hyped up on caffiene, but friends of ours who are DVCers will be at their "home" (1 bedroom) at OKW in December and have invited us to stay with them at no cost to us. While this is an INCREDIBLY GENEROUS offer, I have no idea what to expect at OKW and want to make sure that the 4 of us could "live" together for 6-7 days.

Can 4 adults survive with one bathroom? How accessible is the bathroom at night for guests sleeping on the pull out sofa (as so not to disturn the guests in the master bedroom)?

Has anyone slept on the pull out sofa? How good/bad is it?

How is bus transport to the parks from OKW?

Is there anything else I should know?

I am an expert when it comes to the monorail resorts, WL and AKL, but this is definitely out of my range!

And I know that Dec is a long way off, but after over 2 years of no WDW (and the last experience being extremely bad -- no fault of WDW -- we were there during the awful 9/11 tragedy) I am jumping out of my skin to go and with DH still unemployed (not only is this hurting us financially, but it is killing him mentally) this is one very economical way to go (of course airline costs have skyrocketed, but that's a post for another place).

Can you tell I'm :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: ?

Thanks for any and all help.

Some of the bathrooms at OKW have double access. That way you can enter through the master bedroom and also through the laundry room. I would definitely request that type since you'll be sharing. :) The villa is very large. I don't think you'll be crowded at all with 4 people. It's a great deal for you guys to get the chance to stay for free!!! :smooth: Definitely go for it!!! :)

Your other questions:

My mother in law stayed with us last year in a two bedroom and slept on the pull out couch in the living room. I never heard her complain that it wasn't comfortable.

The bus transportation is very good, and you don't have to share with any other resorts. Buses were always coming and going during our stays and the only time we had to wait long was on the night of MNSSHP, so that was a special situation.

OKW is a wonderful resort. It's very laid back. You'll really feel like you're on vacation. I always feel like I'm a million miles from the parks and on an island. (HEY, just like Key West) :p

Thanks...I appreciate the info (and will take any more that I can get).

How ironic that I was reading your trip report and decided to pop in to check in on my post after Day 7 of your report! ;)

I just wanted to chime in as OKW is my absolute favorite resort and we've stayed at the Beach Club, Poly, CBR and GF but none of them compare to OKW to me. As the previous poster mentioned, you can request a one bedroom villa that has a separate entrance to the bathroom and this way you won't disturb the couple in the master bedroom. I believe you have to request building 31 or higher to have this type of bathroom set up. We stayed at OKW in November and we were in building 31 or 33 in the Old Turtle Pond area and loved it there!

The resort is so relaxing and I love the fact that you do not share buses with other resorts. The buses were never ever crowded and we there over the Thanksgiving holiday so I expected long waits and huge crowds but it never happened. We did not wait more than 5 to 10 minutes for buses. I heard the bus service can be slow but we did not experience anything like that. As a matter of fact, one afternoon we missed our bus coming back from Epcot and sat down for a long wait, a bus came in about 12 minutes. Again, I thought the bus service was fantastic and would not hesitate to stay at OKW without a car. We had ours but don't drive on property.

The one bedroom unit is huge, you will just love it. I think there is more than enough room for 4 people and if you coordinate things just right (maybe two using the bathroom for showers and such at night and two in the mornings) I think it's quite manageable. My DH, DS (15) and DB (12) stayed in the one bedroom unit and there was more than enough room. The boys alternated between a sleeping bag and the sofabed. They didn't complain so I guess the sofabed was comfy. Believe me they would have tried to complain if the sofabed was not nice.

We had several very good meals at Olivia's (the sit down restaurant at the resort). I am looking forward to taking the boat to Downtown Disney, relaxing at the main pool and using the work out room on my upcoming August trip.

If you can't tell, I just love this resort and know you'll have a wonderful and relaxing time. If you have any other specific questions, just ask away!

Where is Olivia's in relation to registration?
Also, where is the DD boat launch??

Thanks...
Lori

When you first get out of your car to register, there's a walkway down which you walk and then turn right into the registration. Well, if you turn left instead of right, then look at the room to your right, you're at Olivia's. If you keep walking straight on the walkway, instead of turning either right (into registration) or left (into Olivia's), you will see the dock for the boat to DTD.

We love OKW. It has been our home resort for the past 10 years. The rooms are huge and we generally request the turtle pond area also. We are staying at the Beach Club and I am really dreading it. We have always stayed in a 2 bedroom at OKW, unles it was just hubby and I. I am sure you will enjoy it.

That's another great thing about OKW. Registration, guest services, Olivia's, the store, the boat launch, the bar, the video rental place, the pool, the snack place, the laundry, etc, are all together in one area. :) I like it that way.

You can request a building that is centrally located, like I am doing for my upcoming trip so we can be close to everything, or you can request a building further away for that secluded feeling and still have a pool at your disposal.

The grounds are just so beautiful. I was simply unprepared for how peaceful and quaint everything was. I can hardly wait to go back. I wish we were staying in a larger unit but only have enough points for a studio. Sister, two nieces and I will be nice and cozy though!

To the OP, I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Thank you all for sharing. I am even more excited after reading your posts.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter