California Misadventure

2Xited4Disney

DIS Veteran
Now I understand the many Disneland fans hate California Adventure. I am wondering why the execs at Disney don't add a night time show to the line up at DCA.... When I learned about DCA i just assumed it had a night time show... I was very suprised when I saw no show times on the calender... Maybe some expert can explain to me why they don't have a show, or maybe even a version of Illuminations (I mean there is a lake right?)

I wondered that also.. Especially on how crowded DL gets right after the party bash is over in DCA. I miss the electric Light parade and wished for something to keep DCA open later. It might have to do with Staffing though, it does cost money pay staff members to cover the evening in DCA.

They have the Electrical Parade. Sometimes it goes on haitus (I think it may still be) but I haven't heard they're shutting it down for good or anything.

spazzyjazzy said:
It might also be that California Adventure closes earlier than Disneyland.

Good point! The last time we were there hours were from 10AM - 6PM; other more peak seasons the hours were only 10AM - 8PM.

With the majority of visitors having park hopping priviledges AND with park hopping so convenient (whereas at WDW it's really not), it's likely that once DCA closes for the night, many just hop on over to DL and view their nighttime shows.

We were there last May and saw the electric parade. It was nice seeing that parade again. I think CA stayed open until 10 p.m. I think it is a staffing and $ issue. Although if they had more night attractions, more people would head over there.
We like it for a change of pace. It's not as crowded as Disneyland.
The Block Party parade was fun too. My kids really enjoyed it.

DCA is still a young park, and finding what works and what doesnt. During peak seasons they do have the electric parade at 8:45, and they stay open until 10. They are adding new rides, changing themes, etc. In the next few years we'll continue to see things getting better. Give them time!

We really had fun at DCA. We didn't do a whole lot -- we have young girls, so we didn't do the roller coasters or TOT or anything like that. We did the Bug's life land which was so cute, even if the rides aren't that fab for adults. Our kids loved them :) They also liked Turtle Talk and they were able to get tons of autographs from characters with very short lines. We didn't make it over to the Brother Bear area -- but my nephews sure loved that. We ate at the Wharf Cafe for lunch and it was sunny and nice and really beautiful over there. It was a nice break from the crowds before we headed back over to DL. They also had some really cute shops. I bet they will add a lot more attractions over the years. Hopefully more shows and night entertainment like you suggested :goodvibes

hlbtimes2 said:
DCA is still a young park, and finding what works and what doesnt. During peak seasons they do have the electric parade at 8:45, and they stay open until 10. They are adding new rides, changing themes, etc. In the next few years we'll continue to see things getting better. Give them time!
I totally agree! I am a HUGE Disneyland fan (I prefer California's over all the other Disney parks), and my family and I LOVE DCA! I cannot wait to see what they do in the future!

2Xited4Disney said:
Now I understand the many Disneland fans hate California Adventure. I am wondering why the execs at Disney don't add a night time show to the line up at DCA.... When I learned about DCA i just assumed it had a night time show... I was very suprised when I saw no show times on the calender... Maybe some expert can explain to me why they don't have a show, or maybe even a version of Illuminations (I mean there is a lake right?)

As others have stated, DCA will often have the Electrical Parade. Also, they don't need nighttime entertainment as once the park closes or whenever someone is ready, they can hop over to Disneyland in about five minutes. The parks are almost an extension of each other. Have you been to DCA? If not, don't go being prepared to hate it or it might become a self fulfilling prophecy! I have never understood all the negativity surrounding this park. It has the original Soarin which almost everybody loves, Aladdin which is pretty commonly thought to be the best live show Disney has, an incredible rollercoaster, TOT, Grizzly River Run (way better than Kali) and many other fun attractions. What's not to like? Its not Disneyland, but I don't think they wanted it to be. I love DCA and personally consider it the frosting on the cake of my Disneyland visits.

I think the one area they goofed up in (my apoligies to Goofy!) was theming it after "California" since locals make up a large part of the visitors to DLR and most of the out-of-towners that DO vistit will also visit other parts of CA, where they'll see the real thing rather than a theme park version! Maybe bring the Disney Sea concept over from Japan, perhaps, or "Epcot West", just the Future World portion without World Showcase, since they'd be limited by the lack of land available. A second park was better than nothing, but DCA wasn't their best attempt. Hopefully, if they really are looking hard at improving it over the next 10 years, they'll turn it into something truely wonderfull. It isn't all bad, of course, but I see tons of room for improvement.

Another reason they probably can't do nighttime fireworks at DCA is the Anaheim noise ordinance issue. Unlike WDW, Disneyland is situated within a large city and has different types of rules and regulations to follow. Since they are already paying a fine for breaking the noise ordinances with Remember, I don't see them adding more fireworks to the mix. And I cannot see Illuminations at DCA, since Illuminations goes with the theming of the World Showcase, not California. And yes they have a lake but not a very big one. The Electrical Parade is up and running again which is a very good thing for DCA! They also seem to be getting away from the California theming and going more towards Pixar themed rides and attractions.

Amy&Dan said:
What's not to like?

The lack of shade and landscaping. Those are the only things I really complain about. There seems to be a lack of plants and ground that isnt paved in the park- which makes it so hot when the sun is out.

This was somewhat true of DL when it first opened as well. I think as time goes on, the plants will develop and fill out....

hlbtimes2 said:
The lack of shade and landscaping. Those are the only things I really complain about. There seems to be a lack of plants and ground that isnt paved in the park- which makes it so hot when the sun is out.

I would have to agree with you on that one! So I guess in answer to my own question, getting third degree sun burn due to lack of shade! But I think MGM at WDW is even worse, maybe its the humidity that adds to my heat nightmare at that one!

Chicago526 said:
, perhaps, or "Epcot West", just the Future World portion without World Showcase, since they'd be limited by the lack of land available. QUOTE]

Funny you should say that. A few weeks I was going through old stuff and I found an employee newsletter from when I worked at Disneyland (about a million years ago ha ha) and it was talking about how they were going to put a theme park where the current parking lot was. At the time they were calling it WestCot. It had concept drawings and everything. It was pretty interesting to look at. I wonder why they changed it??

Now I wish I hadn't thrown it away so I could look at it again! I was in a major cleaning out phase since we are moving 3000 miles. :) Maybe my mom took it though, I'll call her and ask if I can have it back if she has it. :rotfl2:

I read a lot of negative stuff, mainly from locals, about DCA before we went to Disneyland, so we were very pleasantly surprised by the Park.

It has IMHO, the best 3 rides of both parks, namely GRR, TOT and Soarin.

Where it suffers is the theming, which just doesn't seem to work - especially that salute to industry and farming near Bug's life and the area outside Soarin which is supposed to be an airstrip.

As such it doesn't have the same magical appeal of Disneyland, where at all times you feel you are in some sort of dream.

If they can fix that (which might involve ditching the California theme) then it will be perfect, but the rides themselves are superb. As for the night parades, as mentioned, I suspect that in the slack times people just head across to DL and they can't justify the cost of keeping both parks open.

I do love to people watch at DCA in many different places that you can just sit and watch especially at Paradise Pier facing the Sun Wheel. We love going there also because it is less crowded.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter