Cake recipe

rie'smom

<font color=green>"Always let your conscience be y
Does anyone have the recipe for making a boxed cake mix taste like scratch? My hard drive crashed and I lost bunches of stuff including this recipe:headache:. Thank-you.

Go to the cake doctor website..she has lots of recipes there..marianne:goodvibes

Here's things I've picked up:

I always add an extra egg

I add a little Vanilla Extract if I'm making a yellow/butter cake...a little Lemon Extract if I want a lemon-y cake (I generally just buy yellow cake mix and do add-ins to make it taste the way I like it).

You can also add sour cream, applesauce, etc. but I'm afraid to tell you amounts...go to the cake doctor website.

I don't know if this helps to make it taste more home made, but I always add 1/2 package of pudding mix to the cake.

The BEST doctored cake mix...I promise. Worth every calorie. :laughing:

1 cake mix
4 egg whites
1 small box pudding
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil

The BEST doctored cake mix...I promise. Worth every calorie. :laughing:

1 cake mix
4 egg whites
1 small box pudding
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
What temp do you set the oven and how long to bake?

Soooo...at what point does it become the same amount of work as to just make the cake from scratch? They're not that hard, really!

Soooo...at what point does it become the same amount of work as to just make the cake from scratch? They're not that hard, really!
:hippie: I'm glad you asked that...cause I was thinking the same thing.:thumbsup2

For me, and I swear to you, I've made a million attempts...scratch cakes never turn out as good as this one. :confused3 Ever. My customers like the doctored mix cakes better. It's really not a hassle to add two extra ingredients.

Thanks everyone for your feedback! I'm going to try the recipes.
As for why not just bake from scratch-I've tried and failed. The cake mixes give me a headstart.

Substitute low fat buttermilk for the water.
It really improves the texture.

And add a big spoonful of cocoa powder to chocolate to eliminate that fakey chocolate taste.

Allrecipes is my friend! They have some great recipes for box cakes that taste incredible. I would try the Lemonade Cake II, Rum Cake I and Too Much Chocolate Cake.

Is there a trick that helps increase the volume of the icing? Heat it? Beat it? I know it's bad, but I use the store frosting and it always takes more than one container to frost a layer cake. Any tips for that?

Is there a trick that helps increase the volume of the icing? Heat it? Beat it? I know it's bad, but I use the store frosting and it always takes more than one container to frost a layer cake. Any tips for that?

mix 1 can of frsorting with 1 tub of cool whip

I only use cake mixes for the "cookies from cake mix" recipes :lmao: For everything else I generally do a basic pound cake - weigh eggs, then put equal ammounts of softened butter (never marge!) natural sugar (not white, unbleached) and self raising flour, add beaten eggs and beat with an electric hand whisk (maybe add a drop or two of milk if its a bit stiff). For a chocolate cake, take out a heaped T of flour and add a heaped T cocoa (not drinking chocolate) instead:thumbsup2

Just whip the frosting first.:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter