Bringing children under 3?

mystic_path said:
I hope you werent taking it the wrong way when I posted last time. If I sounded sarcastic or which ever I really didnt mean it that way to you or anyone. I really do hope you have a blast when you go! I mean everyone has an idea of what a magical moment is with children and for you thats absoloutely wonderful. I really do hope that you have the best trip ever.

No, not at all - but these boards definitely can make it difficult to sense emotion - my guess is 99% of us on these boards are all disney addicts to some degree or we wouldn't be here!!! I am sure part of my problem too is I know I grew up Disney - my parents would take my aunt along with us when I was really young - so I definitely grew up thinking that if you could breathe you could go to disney!!! And believe me - that extra adult makes a world of difference - without that - my opinion might be completely different!!!

MagicalMomAZ said:
Well it looks like the consensus is that little ones can do well, in many of the Dissers experiences.

I think it's knowing your child and I just don't think DS would do well. May seem odd but one of my biggest problems with doing something big like that with him is communication. DD had sentences down pat by the time she was 2, I can barely understand him....so knowing what he needs can still be a challenge from time to time. Darn kid has had big sis doing everything for him, no need to talk! LOL
There's a serious plus to explaining something to your child & having them accept it - 2 yo's just don't do that! :)

DH wanted me to wait for DS to be 6 b/c of DD's uneasiness at 4 ... I'm NOT waiting THAT long! We will go when he's 4 just like DD, myself, DH & all my sibling/cousins. It's tradition & I'll keep it I think. Plus it gives us some time to save & make it a big one! ;)

This year will give DD & me a chance to bond over some fun rides & yummy food-sans little bro, which I think she'll appreciate. And we HAVE to go before he gets too much older, he'll be on to us! :rolleyes1

That is great - I am sure you and DD will have a great time - it will definitely be more enjoyable for both of you to get to do it alone - sounds like a great tradition!!!

We are making our first trip to DLR in 10 days but we have been to WDW about once a year for the past 6 years. We do a Disney vacation for two reasons: (1) My DW & love the parks. Our first two trips to WDW were w/o kids. (2) My kids love the parks. They have all been when under age two. I wouldn't trade my memories of these trips for anything. If you wait for your kids to be old enough to truly appreciate the sacrifice that goes into paying for a trip, you may never go on vacation. Just my $0.02.

POOH&PIGLET said:
If you wait for your kids to be old enough to truly appreciate the sacrifice that goes into paying for a trip, you may never go on vacation. Just my $0.02.

Good point -but I don't think that that was the intent of the OP. Cost was not the issue.

Another added benifit of taking toddlers is they are free to get in until they are three, and they eat for free at the buffets :D

Well, looks like this thread has pretty well been covered but I did want to add that there may be other reasons little ones are in the park...ie. Older sibs. :thumbsup2

We went to DLR when my oldest (now 11) was 4.5. I hadn't thought of taking him when he was younger BUT his little brother was only 18 months so he got to go early! :teeth: For various reasons we didn't want to leave him home alone (he'd never been without us being one of them). I was a bit nervous, but he was AWESOME! So easy going. And the 4.5 year old had a great time.

Since then we've gone again with a little one. We went to WDW when the kids were 9, 6 and 20 months. Again, my daughter did great! We have never brought another adult with us, but we this time we did use a reputable babysitting company 3 times. Once so DH and I could go out for dinner alone, and the other two times so that just the older boys and us parents could hit the parks for a few hours without baby swapping. (PS. There are some unusual benefits to babyswapping(having to do with fastpasses) btw AND since I have older kids, us parents don't have to ride alone...and the boys get to ride twice in a row....they love that. )

And finally, we're going again this year with FOUR, yes countem, FOUR kids. :) One of whom will be 11 months old. I'm sorry, but I couldn't stay away from the parks if I had to wait until they were all ready. The boys are 11 and 8 and my dd's will be 4 and 11 mos. We'll split up sometimes and we'll go back for naps etc. just like we always do.

I honestly can say we've never had a meltdown. Never. We don't push the kids and I'm very very used to having all the kids out in public anyway. The one who'll be 11 months has been going to her big brothers' baseball games since she was 2 weeks old. :)

I can't wait! January can not get here fast enough! :Pinkbounc

Me, my brother and all three of my children were at DL or WDW at least once, if not multiple times, before the age of 4. Last year, our family went to DL and DD was a little over 3.5, and honestly, I think it was one of the best trips because everything was just so magical for her and she was so very excited. My philosophy, FWIW, is that I want my kids to, like me, simply have the memory of being and experiencing Disney from as far back as they can remember. And, last year, I had even tried to find a way to take my DD by herself.
But, the concerns you have are valid ones, not for the age cut off, but because of the personality dynamic. And, a rule of thumb I always follow if at all possible is to never go with 3 people only.
The situation you're describing may end up being not doable for you unless you had someone else with you. Your DD may not be old enough to go one rides by herself, and DS certainly isn't. Even if DD is old enough, you'd always have to be sitting with DS unless it's a ride you all three can sit next to each other on. An example, your family wouldn't be able to go on Autotopia at all. And, if there's rides your DD wants to go on, but can't by herself, she wouldn't be able to go at all, if there was no one to watch little brother.
So, in the situation you're describing, I'd either get someone else to go with me, have DH keep both kids and go with DD alone or make it a whole family trip. Edited to add: Or, you can come when we're there, 3/29-3/31 next year and we could go around together, DS too! ;) Then, we'd have three adults, a 3+ year old, a 5 y.o., an 8+ year old, a 10 y.o. and a 12 y.o. Every base you want would be covered! :dance3: Though, my "baby" is a daredevil, and happily went on Star Tours and Matterhorn and Soarin' (I'm anticipating space mountain and others this next trip!) . She did really love the Small World and Pooh and they all loved Buzz, too, so there'd be more than enough to do! AND, you and DD could come to Ariel's for dinner with DD and I and your DS and the other boys could go play somewhere else, if he didn't want to dine with the princesses! :cloud9: :wizard:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter