Bringing children under 3?

MagicalMomAZ

DIS Veteran
My kids are 8 (DD) & 2 (DS) ....

The ritual in our family is the 1st trip to DL is at 4yrs (started with me 26 yrs ago). SO I never even considered bringing my kids before they were 4! DD went at 4 & she had a blast but was still taking naps & refused to interact with the characters as she was painfully shy back then.

So I am planning on DL in the near future....it was Oct ...then Spring Break...now I have no idea - depends on DH's company & the time he has to stay home w/ our 2 yo.

If I brought DS, I imagine DD wouldn't have fun waiting for the rides he would enjoy...leaving for naps that he may not even take (he's slowly growing out of them)....possible temper tantrums, explaining we have to just wait in line for however long & missing out on the big rides he cannot enjoy yet. I can't see bringing a child under 3 or 4.

Does anyone else agree with this?

If you have brought a child younger than this what was your experience?

I took my son for his first birthday. Well, I took ME for his first birthday. I knew we wouldn't be able to do much, but I wanted to go, so we did. We had a great time. We stuck to his schedule, took an afternoon nap and didn't stay all night at the parks. It was just me and him and my parents, so no older siblings to worry about. That probably would have made it a little more difficult.

Fast forward 2 years, and we make another visit for his 3rd birthday. Still sticking to his schedule, naps, food, etc. We took everything at a slow pace and still had an enjoyable trip. He remembers parts of this trip and loves to hear my stories from it. How he chickened out on Space Mountain because he couldn't see where the train was going, and he didn't want to do Splash Mountain because he thought you would go under water.

He just turned 11 and we've had annual passes ever since he was 3.

So yes I'd take kids that small. But you have to go at their pace and not expect them to last like a teen or adult.

We took both our kids at around 21-22 months. They both had great trips, and I would do it over again in a heart beat. At that age, they both were able to nap in strollers. We didnt have to worry about going potty (like we do now) as they were still in diapers. We didnt push the character thing- my dd did ok, my son didnt want to have a lot to do with them. He still doesnt at 4.

My kids are 4 and 8. My 4 year old has been 3 times ( before two, 3 1/2 and 4). My 8 year old has been there 4 times (before 2, 5, and twice at 7). They are begging to go back. We'll go sometime next year. My 8 year old knows her way around better then most adults.

We took my children at 23 months and just turned 4 to WDW. We had plenty of time and took really long breaks. We did child swap when we could and it was great since my son (DS4) could ride what he loved twice.

I would say, it depends on your support staff. I wouldn't do it alone but if you have at least a second adult it can be a lot of fun. My favorite trick is to drag my mom along since she hates the thrill rides and is more than happy to find a treat and sit with the little one for a break.

We took my son to DL just before he turned 5 and it was an absolute blast. We left DD who was 2.5 at the time at home with nana since it would be a quick trip and we knew we didn't want to go at the pace she would require to be happy.

Now we're headed to DLR following a mexican cruise in early Dec. DD will have just turned 3, has out grown naps and is over 40 inches......HORRAY :cheer2:

With my DD5 I found she had more fun going to DLR when she was 2 than she did at WDW when she was 4. Somehow I ended up with a child that grows more cautious each year. When she was 2 she went on all the rides that she was able to go on, at 4 she threw temper tantrums trying to take her on IaSW and PPF. We have never left the park for naps (She never has really taken naps anyway) we just found a shady spot, got some food and let her sleep in her stroller if she tired out (alot of people go to Tom Sawyer's island for this).

When we lived in SoCal (1972 - 1974, 1983 - 1989, 1991 - 1994); we went to Disneyland about once a month. My brothers are 9 and 11 years younger than I am, so they were very young their first times--Bob (youngest) was probably 6 months old our first trip in 1983.

If it was more than just a day trip; we'd head back to the hotel for thier naps around 2-ish; it seemed to work out ok. My parents had a double stroller and both would end up sleeping most of the day while being pushed through the park whether or not we took the mid-day break, though....

Michael.

Next trip; Halloween Week
Disneyland Hotel.

We took DD when she was 10 months - it was a free trip and right after 9/11, so we didn't want to leave her and go somewhere else, so we chose DL.....

Beyond that, we took her at 3 and 4, and DS was 1 and 2 at this time, and we will be back in three weeks, she will be 5 and DS will be 3...all trips have been extremely enjoyable!!! Granted, we do always bring with us an extra adult that the kids love, so we can manage all of the rides and not be out numbered!!! As for naps, both kids are always in strollers, so if they fall asleep, we let them stay in the stroller and we hit the adult rides...if they (or the little one) is awake, there are tons of rides that kids that age enjoy. DD was into the characters at 3, DS has been scared at this point, we will see in 3 weeks.

I cheat a little that I wouldn't do at home... I always carry smarties as a quick distraction if the line is long (perfect no mess candy). We try to mix it up varying the day with finding characters, hitting the big kid rides, hitting the kiddie rides - but we usually have four days to take it all in...I could not imagine not having these trips - they were great fun, and in 3 weeks my 5 year old will be to DL for her 4th trip and my 3 year old will be there for his 3rd trip!!! So maybe I am a Disney addict???

My eldest DD has been to WDW at ages 9 months, 2 1/2, and 3 1/2 and she has been to DL at age 4. Youngest DD has been to WDW at age 6 weeks and DL at 15 months old.

I think it all depends on how well prepared you are. It is absolutely necessary to be flexible to your children's needs and to pay attention to their cues. We had an incredible trip to DL earlier this month and both my DD's had a great time. Yes, we had meltdowns but that's when we knew it was time for a break and we took it.

I started taking my daughter to DL at just shy of 2 months old. I can't tell you how many firsts she has had at Disneyland. One of my best memories is riding Small world, and watching her on the ride. Usually (if she was awake) she would just stare at the stuff go by. Then one time we rode it and she actually turned her head to watch something as we passed it. If only you are able to go it may be difficult with an 8 year old and a 2 year old with the different rides, but if you have someone with you, you may be able to split up. There is plenty of stuff for a child to do at Disneyland. We have gone and just walked around, watched parades, or other stuff. There are times when we don't even make it on a ride.

The youngest we brought a baby was 14 months. She had an amazing time! We went during an uncrowded time, so she was able to get out of the stroller and run all over. We didn't hit very many rides, but I was newly pregnant and dealing with morning sickness, so that was fine with me.

It all depends what you want out of your trip and how many adults you have. It works much, much better if the kids and adults are evenly number (even better more adults than kids!) That way you can take turns riding Dumbo and the Carousel over and over with the younger child, while the other takes the older child on the more daring rides. We usually have both sets of Grandparents and a couple uncles, so we have an easy time keeping the kids happy, while still having fun on the other rides. I would never even consider not bringing all our children. We just go at their pace, stay an extra day or two to get it all in and have help from family. We've always had a wonderful time, and to tell the truth I'm sure there were melt downs, but I honestly can't remember them!

We took my little sister, Anais, when she was 2yo for my 8th grade graduation. We got there early and left late. She had a blast, went on as many of the rides as she was tall enough for (which was alot, she was a BIG 2yo). She went with us on POTC and she didnt' cry but she just looked through her fingers and loved the drop. I can't remember if we took her on HM but she loved the characters! We have a great picture of the family with Liver Lips on Tom Sawyer island. I took the whole family again for christmas when she was 4yo and she loved the NBC set up of HM.

MagicalMomAZ said:
My kids are 8 (DD) & 2 (DS) ....

The ritual in our family is the 1st trip to DL is at 4yrs (started with me 26 yrs ago). SO I never even considered bringing my kids before they were 4! DD went at 4 & she had a blast but was still taking naps & refused to interact with the characters as she was painfully shy back then.

So I am planning on DL in the near future....it was Oct ...then Spring Break...now I have no idea - depends on DH's company & the time he has to stay home w/ our 2 yo.

If I brought DS, I imagine DD wouldn't have fun waiting for the rides he would enjoy...leaving for naps that he may not even take (he's slowly growing out of them)....possible temper tantrums, explaining we have to just wait in line for however long & missing out on the big rides he cannot enjoy yet. I can't see bringing a child under 3 or 4.

MagicalMomAZ said:
My kids are 8 (DD) & 2 (DS) ....The ritual in our family is the 1st trip to DL is at 4yrs (started with me 26 yrs ago). SO I never even considered bringing my kids before they were 4! DD went at 4 & she had a blast but was still taking naps & refused to interact with the characters as she was painfully shy back then.So I am planning on DL in the near future....it was Oct ...then Spring Break...now I have no idea - depends on DH's company & the time he has to stay home w/ our 2 yo.If I brought DS, I imagine DD wouldn't have fun waiting for the rides he would enjoy...leaving for naps that he may not even take (he's slowly growing out of them)....possible temper tantrums, explaining we have to just wait in line for however long & missing out on the big rides he cannot enjoy yet. I can't see bringing a child under 3 or 4.

I so agree with you (I guess we are in the minority). You have listed many reasons why your son just isn't ready for this experience - so there is nothing wrong with waiting until he is older. And I agree - 4 is a good age. And with the age range of your kids - that is another thing to consider. I have brought my niece when she was 2 - and it was pretty much a waste of time and money - she couldn't do much and it was then boring for me. I didn't take my own kids until they were 4ish.

Face it, your tickets cost a lot of money - having to sit out a lot of the time with a baby or small child may not be worth it for some (and for others it will be fine). I don't care for baby swap - as I don't want to rides the rides alone.

I think things to consider are: the temperment of the kid, the ability of the kid to distinguish reality from fantasy, the impact taking a baby or small child will have on the rest of the group going with you, etc.

I see/hear many crying kids at DL - some are scared, some are tired, some are having sensory overload, some don't understand - sometimes DL isn't fun from the perspective of a little one.

Only you can decide. And it seems you have some valid points why bringing a 2 yo might not work for you. Others have had great success and are encouraging you. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

My final thought is if you do decide to take your 2 yo son - perhaps going on off season when it is less crowded would be better - spring break is a bear with crowds and lines. Maybe your daughter wouldn't mind doing the little kid rides if the lines were shorter and she then got to do her big kid rides. And having another adult would allow you to split up or one to stay with the baby while the other rode with the older child.

minnietoo said:
Only you can decide. And it seems you have some valid points why bringing a 2 yo might not work for you. Others have had great success and are encouraging you. Keep us posted on what you decide to do.

I agree with minnietoo that you know your kids best...I was by no means "encouraging" that magicalmom should take her son, I just wanted to share our experiences. I would say that it would not be nearly as much fun without bringing an extra adult. We never have to ride alone on the rides, because there is always another adult to ride with us (sometimes I ride with DH, and sometimes I ride with our friend). It is also different for us because our kids are so close in age that both like the same rides. All I know is that I have not had a bad experience with my young kids - but that does not mean that it is for everybody.

MagicalMomAZ said:
I can't see bringing a child under 3 or 4.

I have to disagree. :sunny: We took my youngest son to WDW for his 1st birthday and we had a blast! We took him again right before he turned 2 and he had an even better time! This past summer, right before he turned 3, we took him to DL and again, he had the best time!

Of course, I plan, plan, plan. I have three boys, all different ages so it takes alot of planning but we do it! We stay onsite and we enjoy *at least* one full service meal a day.

We also plan for naps! Since my other two are beyond the age of naps...I take my toddler back to the room and let my other two sons and DH enjoy the parks. Oftentimes, my other son (11) will join me and the toddler for a nap. This gives my oldest son and DH some good quality "bonding over a roller-coaster ride" time.

It can be done! And it can be fun! It can be relaxing! It can be memorable! One just has to adjust and plan...that's all it takes. :thumbsup2

I honestly couldnt agree with you more. No offense to the people who have taken children under the age of 3 or 4. Of course its cute! Who said it wouldnt be :)

I just think that if I had kids and I were to take them to Disneyland, I would want them old enough to appreciate how much time and expesne went into the trip. I want them old enough to remember their experiences, and to be old enough that they wont scream or cry on rides and can appreciate the effects of everything and understand whats going on. But thats just my opinion. I wouldnt take kids until they are at least 6 or 7

I've taken my son every year sometimes 2 - 3 times in a year since he was 16 months old. (He was walking) He was so cute he would run up and hug characters, it made for the best pics ever. We took him to WDW at age 3 and again this year age 7. I have to admit, I don't regret going when he was 3, but he was more fun this year.

mystic_path said:
I honestly couldnt agree with you more. No offense to the people who have taken children under the age of 3 or 4. Of course its cute! Who said it wouldnt be :)

I just think that if I had kids and I were to take them to Disneyland, I would want them old enough to appreciate how much time and expesne went into the trip. I want them old enough to remember their experiences, and to be old enough that they wont scream or cry on rides and can appreciate the effects of everything and understand whats going on. But thats just my opinion. I wouldnt take kids until they are at least 6 or 7

We were there 02/2005 and DD was 3 at the time - she didn't cry on rides - and she absolutely had a blast!!!! She was super excited when I told her that DH really wanted to see the 50th anniversary stuff, and we were going back 11/2005. She was four then, and she remembered the park layout - where she had seen characters the time before - which way to get to Toon Town and other rides - I am sorry but she had a blast!!! She was excited to ride the matterhorn, and let us know that she was going to growl at the monster. I don't need her to know how expensive the trip was - and during the holiday's, believe me it was expensive (esp. at the GCH). DS who is 3 is looking forward to our upcoming trip, and can't wait to see Stitch...I wouldn't trade our 3 trips with kids under 4 for anything!!!

We took our twin girls when they were 2 1/2 and then for their 3rd birthday because they loved it so much. The first couple of rides and characters were a little scary, but they had their autograph book and that made it easier. After the first couple they were running up hugging them. Yes, we had to sit out of the big rides, but we knew going in that we were there to be a family and enjoy it all together. Our girls rode Pirates and loved Astroblasters and want to go on Splash next time. The love Soarin way more than their height fearing mother does! :)
I would totally recommend taking kids earlier, but, of course, it depends on your child and you know them best.
My girls do remember their trips very well. They can describe every ride and, months after the first trip, they remembered details we forgot. They currently love princessess and walk around the house in their costumes signing your autograph book and taking pics with you. Their favorite CD is the 50th Celebration CD and they reenact the rides as the soundtracks come up.
I was concerned they would forget when we got home, but they didn't. Even if they did, though, the money was well worth it for the pure enjoyment we had while we were there. I will never forget them hugging Mickey, steering the Mark Twain, watching TInk fly and falling in love with CAptain Hook.

Well it looks like the consensus is that little ones can do well, in many of the Dissers experiences.

I think it's knowing your child and I just don't think DS would do well. May seem odd but one of my biggest problems with doing something big like that with him is communication. DD had sentences down pat by the time she was 2, I can barely understand him....so knowing what he needs can still be a challenge from time to time. Darn kid has had big sis doing everything for him, no need to talk! LOL
There's a serious plus to explaining something to your child & having them accept it - 2 yo's just don't do that! :)

DH wanted me to wait for DS to be 6 b/c of DD's uneasiness at 4 ... I'm NOT waiting THAT long! We will go when he's 4 just like DD, myself, DH & all my sibling/cousins. It's tradition & I'll keep it I think. Plus it gives us some time to save & make it a big one! ;)

This year will give DD & me a chance to bond over some fun rides & yummy food-sans little bro, which I think she'll appreciate. And we HAVE to go before he gets too much older, he'll be on to us! :rolleyes1

dizzyami said:
We were there 02/2005 and DD was 3 at the time - she didn't cry on rides - and she absolutely had a blast!!!! She was super excited when I told her that DH really wanted to see the 50th anniversary stuff, and we were going back 11/2005. She was four then, and she remembered the park layout - where she had seen characters the time before - which way to get to Toon Town and other rides - I am sorry but she had a blast!!! She was excited to ride the matterhorn, and let us know that she was going to growl at the monster. I don't need her to know how expensive the trip was - and during the holiday's, believe me it was expensive (esp. at the GCH). DS who is 3 is looking forward to our upcoming trip, and can't wait to see Stitch...I wouldn't trade our 3 trips with kids under 4 for anything!!!

I hope you werent taking it the wrong way when I posted last time. If I sounded sarcastic or which ever I really didnt mean it that way to you or anyone. I really do hope you have a blast when you go! I mean everyone has an idea of what a magical moment is with children and for you thats absoloutely wonderful. I really do hope that you have the best trip ever.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter