• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Breaking News! Mears Connect. Formerly DME.

DisneyRunner2009

DIS Veteran
Yay. Mears Connect is coming! Same service as the former MDE. Starts January 2022. Can sign up for notifications now. Reservations starting in May.

I am happy they confirmed this so early, for all of you that need it. One less thing to worry about when planning your trip. It will be interesting to see what the price will be.

Yay. Mears Connect is coming! Same service as the former MDE. Starts January 2022. Can sign up for notifications now. Reservations starting in May.
Same service for more money...woohoo!

I know, I know, but man I get sick of feeling like I should be excited to pay extra for something that was already in the bundled price I pay at Disney.

As I expected, it's pretty much the same service as before but now we'll have to pay for it.

Guesses I've seen are about $35-$40 per person each way.

I get the frustration of now having to pay for something you once got for "free" but as someone who never used it but was still subsidizing it I am glad it is gone and also glad that there is a similar option for those who do need it. Its funny how people forget, DME really wasn't around that long, and I think has lived its useful life. It will be interesting to see the pricing and how it compares to the ride shares and town car services. I want to say the Mears transfers were about $15-$20/person each way pre DME days.

Mears will have to make the cost competitive for people to consider it. If it ends up being cheaper to get an Uber or Uber XL or even a car service, people will do that instead.
It’ll have to be way better than competitive. UberXL has the added benefit of being point to point. We enjoyed DME for the “free” aspect, but if Mears ends up being only $10-20 less than ride share for our family of four, we’d take convenience for that price.

The press release has some language about luggage handling. If Mears brings back some type of Yellow Tag service all the way to our resort room, that would make the decision tougher.

Those vans making multi stops at different resorts? The bus was atleast spacious and watching the videos helped.
likely Uber will be better for some.

I get the frustration of now having to pay for something you once got for "free" but as someone who never used it but was still subsidizing it I am glad it is gone and also glad that there is a similar option for those who do need it. Its funny how people forget, DME really wasn't around that long, and I think has lived its useful life. It will be interesting to see the pricing and how it compares to the ride shares and town car services. I want to say the Mears transfers were about $15-$20/person each way pre DME days.
Wasn't around "that long"? Service started in 2005. Pretty long.

Disney prices their resorts based on what people are willing to pay. I didn't see any announcement regarding reductions in room rates in 2022, as a result of the discontinuance of DME.

Free results in large usage which makes possible frequent dispatching. Prior to DME guests were waiting for Mears to fill a bus then taking a scenic journey around Orlando.

Without DME Uber rates are likely to go up. Increased traffic around the airport and Disney. I read DME luggage handling helped MCO handle increased passenger volume. Might be an issue when passenger traffic gets back to normal.

Inbound, and out bound, luggage handling reduced guest utilization of luggage storage. I understand some resorts have very long lines at desk for luggage storage

Uber XL, which will comfortably carry 4 people with normal luggage, is roughly $50 from MCO to Grand Floridian (the farthest Disney resort from MCO). For the new Mears service to be competitive with that, they would have to be less than $10 per person.

If Mears were $40 and Uber were $50, I don't think many people would take a Mears shuttle over direct Uber service.

Uber XL, which will comfortably carry 4 people with normal luggage, is roughly $50 from MCO to Grand Floridian (the farthest Disney resort from MCO). For the new Mears service to be competitive with that, they would have to be less than $10 per person.

If Mears were $40 and Uber were $50, I don't think many people would take a Mears shuttle over direct Uber service.

I think the other issue is that in many areas of the country (especially more rural areas) Uber/Lyft isn't really that common so many people, especially those that do not travel often will be very hesitant to use it. I live about an hour outside Philly, and while we certainly do have it here, I don't know many people personally who have used it locally. It seems mostly to be the bar crowd on weekends. I know for myself personally, we have only used it a handful of times when we were in Miami for a cruise...as most times we travel we have our own car or get a rental. DME, and by extent the new Mears service adds a level of security for those who do not travel frequently. It is also something easy for a travel agent to book for their customers, as opposed to a ride share.

With the experience Mears has running this service, they should know what works and what doesn't and the break even point. I looked at a car service and those aren't cheap. Also, my family members come in from different parts of the country and at different times. It was nice having everyone just hop DME and meet at the resort. I don't feel comfortable using rideshare without a larger group, therefore I'd have to wait around at the airport until eveyone arrives. I don't want to waste my Disney time doing that.

Wasn't around "that long"? Service started in 2005. Pretty long.

Disney prices their resorts based on what people are willing to pay. I didn't see any announcement regarding reductions in room rates in 2022, as a result of the discontinuance of DME.

Free results in large usage which makes possible frequent dispatching. Prior to DME guests were waiting for Mears to fill a bus then taking a scenic journey around Orlando.

Without DME Uber rates are likely to go up. Increased traffic around the airport and Disney. I read DME luggage handling helped MCO handle increased passenger volume. Might be an issue when passenger traffic gets back to normal.

Inbound, and out bound, luggage handling reduced guest utilization of luggage storage. I understand some resorts have very long lines at desk for luggage storage

All very good points. The luggage part of the equation is a huge piece of the puzzle. I’m seeing reports of people waiting over an hour to check their luggage at some resorts. Pre-Covid, this was not happening, due in large part to the luggage service and RAC. Because both are not in operation, it creates problems for MCO as well as Bell Services at the resorts. To alleviate this at the resorts, it would behoove Disney to at least offer the baggage handling service, even if only inbound. They probably don’t want to pay Bags Inc whatever they were paying them though.

Ride-share isn't hc accessible. Very few have car seats. I think there's a larger market for the mears service than you think.
Right. There are a number of special situations where rideshare just isn't a good fit. There are lots and lots of people who have more than one child needing a car seat and rideshare can't serve any of those families unless they bring their own car seats.

Without DME Uber rates are likely to go up. Increased traffic around the airport and Disney.
Of course the increased rates will result in more Uber drivers servicing the airport, which will drive the price back down.

Of course the increased rates will result in more Uber drivers servicing the airport, which will drive the price back down.
The current Uber X fare from MCO to WL is $85. I'm not willing to wait in MCO hoping the price may go down. JMO but I'd rather book a car service, with a grocery stop, rather then gamble with a ride share.

The current Uber X fare from MCO to WL is $85. I'm not willing to wait in MCO hoping the price may go down. JMO but I'd rather book a car service, with a grocery stop, rather then gamble with a ride share.
Wow. I was positive you were wrong because I just priced a similar trip on Ride Guru earlier today. I just checked the Uber app and MCO-WL was $83 for UberX and $85 for Uber comfort.

You are right, and RideGuru was WAY off!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter