• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Bone Broth

Almost any time we make a whole Turkey or Chicken we make a broth with it.
It would be a waste not to IMO.

It's either stock or broth, no idea what this fairly new 3rd product is. One is made with bones, the others isn't. Making it at home doesn't make it a different product. Still not clear how this new product is supposedly made (it either uses bones or it doesn't).

It's either stock or broth, no idea what this fairly new 3rd product is. One is made with bones, the others isn't. Making it at home doesn't make it a different product. Still not clear how this new product is supposedly made (it either uses bones or it doesn't).
Bone broth vs stock doesn't have a clear definition, but usually the differences can be that bone broth is simmered for much longer and it always involves roasted bones (whereas stock does not have to)...

Can I ask, what settings?

I like the Instant Pot but getting the best uses can be elusive, I have a friend who bought one and returned it 3 different times because the only thing we all know how to do is slow cook and everyone already has one of those.

I use this recipe:
https://amindfullmom.com/instant-pot-chicken-stock/

I use a rotisserie chicken where I have picked off the breast and thigh meat. I put all the bones, half the skin and the wings and legs into the Instant Pot. I usually only let it go for 45 minutes, but I might try the 120 bone broth method next time.

I also use my Instant Pot for eggs: https://www.pressurecookrecipes.com/instant-pot-hard-boiled-eggs/ and rice: 1 cup rice, 1 cup water, press "rice" button.

Every time I cook anything that has bones. My freezer is full of nice flat bags of frozen stock; I've got chicken, turkey, pork and beef. It's just super-easy to throw the carcass (or loose bones, in the case of pork or beef) into my slow cooker and let it simmer for a few hours; then just pour it out through a fine sieve and bag it for freezing.

One of the things that I suspect is being pushed in the commercial sense is the presence of marrow in beef stock. It does make it a lot richer. However, you generally need larger bones to get enough of it to really matter. (You can buy beef femur bones from good butcher shops; you would want to ask them to cut the bone for you lengthwise; butchers sometimes call it canoe-style.)

PS: Throwing away a carcass without using it for stock is a waste my mother would never have let me get away with, and in this instance she was right to insist. Substituting home-made stock adds so much flavor to recipes that call for water, and home-made is a lot lower in salt than the supermarket stuff. Tossing that carcass in a pot is one of the best things you can do to improve the quality of your meals, and it really costs nothing at all if you already have the bones.

Absolutely, homemade chicken bone broth is a game-changer! I started making my own a while back, and not only is it delicious, but it's also incredibly nutritious. There's something satisfying about simmering a pot of bones, veggies, and herbs on the stove for hours.

I found two soup bones at the back of my freezer yesterday and so, today, I am making my first BEEF bone broth. I have done it a million times with poultry.

Cannot wait to stock my freezer with it for quick dinners.

Absolutely, homemade chicken bone broth is a game-changer! I started making my own a while back, and not only is it delicious, but it's also incredibly nutritious. There's something satisfying about simmering a pot of bones, veggies, and herbs on the stove for hours.
Welcome to the dis, @Kurisunh. Your soup sounds good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter