Boarding Groups...why is it like this?

I actually think they’re a lot easier to get into than they were.

Regarding the OP - I think Disney could do a better job of publicizing the noon requirement that you have to be in the park.

It is a complicated and somewhat maddening system. On Sunday, we got Webslingers group 34, so I mentioned that we “should be able to try for ROTR at noon.” But then WS broke down and we didn’t ride until 1:30. So at 12:15, my husband suddenly startled and was like, “oh NO, we forgot ROTR!” And I had to explain that no, we still had WS, so we couldn’t try for ROTR. And he was like, “soooo, we’re penalized because their ride broke down?”

Yup.

Annoying? Sure. Kind of unfair? I’d say yes. But that’s the system that exists. 🤷‍♀️
I was in a similar situation this week. Got BG 66 for WS @ 7AM. Ride was down all morning and they were still stuck at BG 29 right before Noon. I opted to throw away my WS BG and try for a Rise BG at Noon. I was successful and got BG 171 which was called at 4PM.

That is the the question (for which I have no answer :rolleyes1). Not to be argumentative, but I think many people don't find boarding groups "fair" or "reasonable". It caters to younger or more tech savvy guests, of which I am neither.
What bothers me about the BG, not so much that I'm losing any sleep over the issue though, is more how "winners" are determined rather than the fact that the BGs exist.
I don't like that they require being "in the know" (ready to go right before noon or 7 a.m.), and a certain amount of equipment, fast fingers, tech savviness etc.
I'd rather they be distributed via a more lottery-esque procedure. What made me think of the "lottery" was I was originally planning on a June 2020 Tokyo Disney trip, and they used show lotteries there. I really don't know details of how those work(ed), but the general concept of sticking your tickets in (or scanning them) and then the dice are rolled, so to speak, and you find out if your group got in -- that to me is more "fair" than the fast fingers good equipment way in which the selection is made at DL & WDW.
I think DD & I have about as good a chance as most folks to score one. We'll find out in August. But the system as is doesn't strike me as very fair overall, whether or not we succeed.

I think a better way to do the BGs would be based on a lottery rather than “luck of the draw”. Everyone with a reservation for the day can enter the lottery between 7-7:30am. They hold the lottery and then everyone chosen is notified by push notification.

What bothers me about the BG, not so much that I'm losing any sleep over the issue though, is more how "winners" are determined rather than the fact that the BGs exist.
I don't like that they require being "in the know" (ready to go right before noon or 7 a.m.), and a certain amount of equipment, fast fingers, tech savviness etc.
I'd rather they be distributed via a more lottery-esque procedure. What made me think of the "lottery" was I was originally planning on a June 2020 Tokyo Disney trip, and they used show lotteries there. I really don't know details of how those work(ed), but the general concept of sticking your tickets in (or scanning them) and then the dice are rolled, so to speak, and you find out if your group got in -- that to me is more "fair" than the fast fingers good equipment way in which the selection is made at DL & WDW.
I think DD & I have about as good a chance as most folks to score one. We'll find out in August. But the system as is doesn't strike me as very fair overall, whether or not we succeed.
Just my own experience. I’ve been to Tokyo Disney several times and have NEVER been successful with any of the lotteries. Not once. I’m looking forward to being in the know and using my fast fingers to get a boarding group.

Just my own experience. I’ve been to Tokyo Disney several times and have NEVER been successful with any of the lotteries. Not once. I’m looking forward to being in the know and using my fast fingers to get a boarding group.
I have heard TDRs lotteries can be about like winning some million dollar ticket. So I understand why those in the know would rather stick with the current system.
But the current system doesn't seem fair. On the upside, it might be more likely to give groups to those who are super fans, rather than e.g., someone who couldn't care a hoot about Star Wars or Marvel. (OTOH, if it was a lottery, that's the person who wouldn't be entering anyhow.) ETA: I'm probably "overthinking" as usual. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter