Best WDW resort for 9 YO Boy after Animal Kingdom?

It’s not super deep, but depending on the season the whole pool gets SUPER crowded. We stayed in August and thought the pool would be a major draw but we used the quiet pools because Stormalong was pure people soup.

It’s not super deep, but depending on the season the whole pool gets SUPER crowded. We stayed in August and thought the pool would be a major draw but we used the quiet pools because Stormalong was pure people soup.
I don’t understand all the love Stormalong Bay gets.

It’s really difficult to get a chair, the pool area is convoluted, there are bridges & stairs all over the place to get around, the pool has several deep areas where kids (and even adults) cannot stand, you have to leave the pool area to get to the water slide, and it’s far from the DVC rooms.

I believe it. 😜 The pool was wonderful in December. It was really chilly when you got out, but there were only a handful of other people in it. No line at the slide and had the lazy river to ourselves. 😃

I would suggest either Coronado Springs or Caribbean Beach Resort. Both places have good pools, with the nod to CSR over CBR. However, the theme at CBR's pool is pirate themed. What 9-year old doesn't love pirates? CBR is also on the Skyliner.

I would suggest either Coronado Springs or Caribbean Beach Resort. Both places have good pools, with the nod to CSR over CBR. However, the theme at CBR's pool is pirate themed. What 9-year old doesn't love pirates? CBR is also on the Skyliner.
We really like the Coronado Springs pool.

Port Orleans Riverside also has a good pool, but the water slide is too wimpy for the typical 9-year-old.

Best water slide at a WDW Hotel is at the Boardwalk.

OP, since DAK is your must-do park, I would really suggest staying at AKL again.

I see that you want to experience more DVC properties, so the recommendations for Mod and Value resorts are irrelevant to your situation--and, quite frankly, after staying at AKL staying at CSR, for example, would be quite the letdown.

If you are going to spend time at MK, then go for a monorail resort. But if your non-DAK focus is on either Epcot or DHS, then a Boardwalk-area resort or even Riviera.

I see that you want to experience more DVC properties, so the recommendations for Mod and Value resorts are irrelevant to your situation

I don't know about other people, but I answered without reading the whole thread.

Part of it is to experience another DVC. I’m contemplating buying more DVC, but my wife isn’t so hot on that idea. We’ll probably split stay SSR with this other stay. Also, we may only do 1 or 2 Disney parks this trip and AK will be one for sure.

I own at both AKV and BWV. I love them both. I would suggest BWV, especially if you're thinking of buying the resort where you're staying. BWV has a great pool slide and the pool area isn't ginormous like BCV. BWV is also a resort that your family can grow up with. My DD24 loved it when she was little because of the pool and loves it now because she can walk into Epcot for a snack or a drink.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think Boardwalk and BC and YC are leading contenders. We’ll have a rental car so no need to stay at AKL for AK. We’ll have some jet lag so won’t arrive at parks until noon ish.

Thanks for the suggestions! I think Boardwalk and BC and YC are leading contenders. We’ll have a rental car so no need to stay at AKL for AK. We’ll have some jet lag so won’t arrive at parks until noon ish.
My experience with 3-4 stays at BCV is that we went to Stormalong Bay a couple times per stay, but mostly just hung out at the villa's quiet pool. The main pool requires a trek through the lobby and then the pool is really big with the entrance to the slide across the walkway around Crescent Lake. It's fun, for sure. But also a bit of a PITB. Will you be staying on DVC points?

I don’t understand all the love Stormalong Bay gets.

It’s really difficult to get a chair, the pool area is convoluted, there are bridges & stairs all over the place to get around, the pool has several deep areas where kids (and even adults) cannot stand, you have to leave the pool area to get to the water slide, and it’s far from the DVC rooms.
I guess it's just personal opinion. We've been at fairly busy times of year (April and summer months)) and were able to find seats easier than at most WDW resort pools. I think the worst pool for us where there was "people soup" was at OKW and this was the first week in Sept when it's supposedly "less busy". I also think SAB level of crowds depends on what of the day you go.

My son is 11. We’ve stayed BC, YC, Poly, and GF over the last several years. His favorite is still Poly but he very much has enjoyed all the others as well. He’s a huge fan of Stormalong Bay and he’s a strong swimmer, so as he’s gotten older I’ve felt more comfortable with him moving up and down the slide on his own (as someone mentioned, the stairs to the top of the slide are outside the gated pool area and across the walking path). I just park myself on the pool’s edge where the slide emerges and wait. At Poly, he loves the Lava pool slide, despite often long wait times at the top. It’s pretty easy to keep an eye on him from the pool there. In general, he likes the vibe at Poly the best, but he won’t say no to a repeat visit to any of the others!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter