Best waitlist chance for week of January 1

nvrenoughdisney

Mouseketeer
So we've decided to book a last minute trip (well last minute by DVC standards since we're past the 7 month window) from 12/31-1/5. I do realize that this is an extremely busy time of year with the holidays and marathon on either end. This means that there is no availability. I'm trying to decide which resorts would give me the greatest chance of waitlist success. I have a family of 5. I'd prefer a studio but would do a one-bedroom. I was obviously thinking of going with the resorts with the most rooms but with all of the different booking categories, such as preferred/standard, etc., I wasn't quite sure which resort/category that would be. For example, Saratoga has an enormous amount of rooms, but how do the standard/preferred categories affect this? I looked at the DVC resource center sticky but didn't see any info about the different categories. I have initially waitlisted a standard Poly studio and Boardwalk pool/garden studio, but I'm thinking I should pick a resort that might be less in demand than those two. Sorry for the long-explanation and thanks for the help!

Well, you can't have 5 in a SSR studio but perhaps you're thinking 1BR waitlist for there? And is there no availability for any of your dates? If there are some nights at a location I'd recommend booking what's available, waitlisting the rest and then checking the RAT periodically to see if you can catch any other cancellations. I think SSR is still one of the best chances - there are more rooms in the standard view but the preferred view category seems to have availability longer most time.

We're going the same dates. I booked right at 11 months at our home resort. I tried switching at 7 months and couldn't get anything. It's pretty much been booked solid. You can keep checking the website and book what you can but if I were you I would book a room on cash just to be safe (DVC or regular resort room).

But to answer your question I think your best chances are at SSR followed by OKW.

Thanks that's pretty much what I was thinking. So it seems a standard one bedroom at SSR or non-hospitality house one-bedroom at OKW would be the best bets?

Thanks that's pretty much what I was thinking. So it seems a standard one bedroom at SSR or non-hospitality house one-bedroom at OKW would be the best bets?

Not sure on which SSR room is least in demand but I would definitely wait list the non-HH room at OKW.

Hope it comes through for you!

DVC member love low priced rooms. At SSR standard rooms are in higher demand than preferred.
For a waitlist, you're hoping that someone else plans change and you are the next in line to take it. So there are two competing forces:
- standard is more attractive so there may be more members already waitlisted for it, making more difficult to get it
- standard has more rooms, so there are more people who potentially could have to change their plans
Conclusion, which one is better to WL? I don't know :)
I know, this is a completely useless post.:bored:
For sure continue to stalk the resort availability tool. Often rooms became available before they're matched to a waitlist. Also, you might be able to book single nights as they show up (a WL is matched only if all night became available) and patch the stay together over time.

Not for January, but for December 4-6, earlier this week, both SSR standard and preferred one bedrooms were available. I was so surprised, booked standard. Yes, prefer lower point costs in most cases!

12/31 is going to be the largest challenge. I'd call MS and make a back up cash reservation for that night (12/31) right now (at SSR in a 1 bedroom). Then I'd use my two waitlists at SSR for 1/1 - 1/3 and 1/3 -1/5 for a 1 bedroom. Match the waitlists to the booking category of the cash reservation. Shorter waitlists have a much better chance of coming through.

If one of the waitlists comes through, I'd then waitlist for 12/31 in that category. I'd keep the cash reservation until the waitlist works.

In the meantime, I'd be checking several times a day (if I could manage it) to see if any of the nights I want are available. If so, I'd book it immediately and then change the waitlists as appropriate.

Good luck!

Last edited:
DVC member love low priced rooms. At SSR standard rooms are in higher demand than preferred.
For a waitlist, you're hoping that someone else plans change and you are the next in line to take it. So there are two competing forces:
- standard is more attractive so there may be more members already waitlisted for it, making more difficult to get it
- standard has more rooms, so there are more people who potentially could have to change their plans
Conclusion, which one is better to WL? I don't know :)
I know, this is a completely useless post.:bored:
For sure continue to stalk the resort availability tool. Often rooms became available before they're matched to a waitlist. Also, you might be able to book single nights as they show up (a WL is matched only if all night became available) and patch the stay together over time.

This is why my head was spinning trying to figure out which one would be best!

12/31 is going to be the largest challenge. I'd call MS and make a back up cash reservation for that night (12/31) right now (at SSR in a 1 bedroom). Then I'd use my two waitlists at SSR for 1/1 - 1/3 and 1/3 -1/5 for a 1 bedroom. Match the waitlists to the booking category of the cash reservation. Shorter waitlists have a much better chance of coming through.

If one of the waitlists comes through, I'd then waitlist for 12/31 in that category. I'd keep the cash reservation until the waitlist works.

In the meantime, I'd be checking several times a day (if I could manage it) to see if any of the nights I want are available. If so, I'd book it immediately and then change the waitlists as appropriate.

Good luck!

That's a good strategy. I figured 12/31 would be the hardest as well. I can currently book 3/5 nights at SSR (standard) so I think I'll do that and try to fill in the other days.

I just booked SSR for Jan1-6, but it took some work. I got 1-4 a few weeks ago and waitlisted the last 2 nights. I kept checking and finally called and was told I could pay cash for the last 2 nights. I waited a day and the last 2 days showed up and I just had them combine into one reservation. Don't give up, but good to have a backup room.
Good luck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter