Best store bought spaghetti sauce

I think the poster meant that it spoils quickly in the refrigerator if you don't use the whole jar. If it's vacuum sealed...it's fine as long as the date is good.
Ahhh! Thanks for the explanation and yes I was thinking what you explained, LOL.

Prego, grew up on Ragu but switched to Prego. I would prefer a flavored one like garlic but my husband prefers traditional.

I have never liked small bits of meat in my pasta sauce, meatballs only. My in-laws make spaghetti as a meat sauce, but we purchase Kirkland meat balls and do it that way when we're making it at our house. Growing up my dad used to make meatballs by hand and a cast iron skillet.

I grew up on Ragu and now use Prego too!! We’ve gone through all the pricier brands - Newman’s, Rao, Bertolli, etc.. but we need a LOT when I make meatballs, and the Prego huge jars are great for that. I make my meatballs in my cast-iron skillet too. :) Old family recipe - one of my sons keeps ordering meatballs in restaurants trying to find one that’s better, but he hasn’t done it yet. Hehee.

I use Ragu when making spaghetti for DH and I. I used to make my own but it's just easier for the two of us.

Now.....on my meatloaf I put a half a can of condensed tomato soup on it and have for many many years.

Never heard of Rao either, but we aren't big pasta eaters. Maybe a regional brand? When we do buy sauce tend to look for the ones with the flavor/seasonings we like along with the texture of the sauce (i.e. smooth vs chunky). There are so many brands, which one is 'best' probably depends on the flavor your family prefers.

RAOS Marinara, nothing better imho. ( Costco has best price)
Italian tomatoes garlic evoo n no junk not salty, good calorie count and tastes so good. And add in some mama Mancini beef meatballs some spaghetti and dinner with the salad n some crusty bread is Done.

I personally use the sauce with Zucchini noodles instead of pasta.. YUM.

Never heard of Rao either, but we aren't big pasta eaters. Maybe a regional brand? When we do buy sauce tend to look for the ones with the flavor/seasonings we like along with the texture of the sauce (i.e. smooth vs chunky). There are so many brands, which one is 'best' probably depends on the flavor your family prefers.

Rao's is a famous Italian-American restaurant in Manhattan. And they are one of the most exclusive restaurants in the United States. Getting a reservation there is rather difficult and they have some oddball membership scheme that I don't fully understand. Something about regulars "owning" tables where they have to give permission for people to reserve them.

https://www.grubstreet.com/2013/09/customers-discuss-how-they-got-tables-at-raos.html
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/dining/news/a2743/how-i-walked-into-raos/

They might have been notorious though as a Mafia hangout. They opened a Las Vegas location and one in Southern California which are more open than their Manhattan location.

Their jarred sauces are made in Italy to their specifications. And they're available nationally.

No, Rao's is nationally distributed.
We like their marinara or arrabbiata sauces best.
https://www.raos.com/about/

With just the 2 of us I don't make my own sauce as much as I used to. I agree with Rao's. I got a couple jars for free and that sauce is very good but I am cheap and will not pay the price. I tried The Vero Gusto because it was on sale and with coupons cost me 14 cents a jar, like I said I am cheap. Another very good sauce. I wouldn't use either of them as anything but a pasta sauce though.

Rao's is a famous Italian-American restaurant in Manhattan. And they are one of the most exclusive restaurants in the United States. Getting a reservation there is rather difficult and they have some oddball membership scheme that I don't fully understand. Something about regulars "owning" tables where they have to give permission for people to reserve them.

https://www.grubstreet.com/2013/09/customers-discuss-how-they-got-tables-at-raos.html
https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/dining/news/a2743/how-i-walked-into-raos/

They might have been notorious though as a Mafia hangout. They opened a Las Vegas location and one in Southern California which are more open than their Manhattan location.

Their jarred sauces are made in Italy to their specifications. And they're available nationally.
Years ago at my son’s elementary school yearly silent auction, they would auction off a “reservation availability”spot. The bidding would always get to at least $3,000. And this was only to win the ability to make an actual reservation, it even a confirmed reservation.

Is Rao’s a chunky or a smooth sauce? We are a smooth sauce family.

So, I've found that when I buy smaller jars of the marinara from the supermarket or Target, it's super smooth. The Costco marinara has some chunks of tomatoes, which I actually love. So, if you like smooth, don't buy at Costco. You can also use an immersion blender to get rid of any chunks. It really is amazing sauce.

I think the poster meant that it spoils quickly in the refrigerator if you don't use the whole jar. If it's vacuum sealed...it's fine as long as the date is good.

Yes, that's what I meant! Once the air gets to it, your time is limited. As it should be.

I know this isn't about pizza sauce, but if you are looking for the best our food-coop sells a brand called Field Day. I actually prefer making my own pizza now instead of take out because it's that good.
For pizza sauce, I just simply use Walmart (when I go there) organic tomato sauce. Any other flavors go on the pizza itself (garlic and basil.) Not a fan of a saucy pizza and a thin application of plain tomato sauce works for me and the Walmart brand organic is better than most canned tomato sauces (except San Marzano tomatoes.)

While I CAN make my own, I usually don't go through the trouble. We usually buy Newman's Own or Classico.

It freezes well. I divide it up and put some in quart bags.
We were sorta dumb dumbs for a while not even thinking about we could freeze certain things.

We have found that Prego does freeze well which saves me from having to worry about making another spaghetti night quickly after opening a jar.

My mom makes her own sauce but used to buy Classico if she needed something in a pinch (like for Ash Wednesday and Good Friday). However right before the pandemic, she went to the local deli for Ash Wednesday (right after visiting the fish store) to get us lunch and she came upon Sclafani marinara. She decided to try it as it was like 50 cents cheaper then Classico. She didn’t have to “doctor it up” that much and loved it. We’ve now tried a multitude of their sauces (vodka sauce is also very good)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter