Best route - Chicago to Orlando

I have one more somewhat related question. I'm not sure what states enroute to WDW have tolls. Will an I-Pass (Illinois toll payment system) work for all the tolls? I was pleasantly surprised it did when we went to Cedar Point (OH) last summer.

No the I-pass is not compatible with Florida Toll roads. Florida uses the Sun Pass which uses a different protocol from the I-pass. You would want to take the Florida Turnpike (a toll road) from I75 to Disney. You could continue to I4 to avoid the toll road, but saving the toll it isn't worth the extra mileage or time.
If you plan on driving to Disney often, it might be worth it to buy a Sun-pass. You can get a Sunpass sticker for a minimal amount ($5 for the sticker and a minimum of $10 to the account)- however it must be affixed to the windshield and is not transferable.

You might consider shooting for spending the night in any of the suburbs on Atlanta's south side; I'd recommend Morrow, GA, which is 135 miles south of Chattanooga, and some 430 miles from WDW.

But as others have stated, you have plenty of options, and it all depends on what time you leave Aurora for the 12 hour trip to Morrow; there'll be plenty of hotels in all price ranges at the Jonesboro Rd. exit (HWY 54), as well as McDonalds, IHOP, Soneys, Cracker Barrel & all the rest.

Have a great trip!

http://www.roomsaver.com, http://www.wyndhamrewards.com, and http://www.choicehotels.com have all the hotels and motels you'll ever need in all price ranges.

The 2 times we drove from Chicago (never again! lol), we went both ways: I-65 & I-57. We thought I-57 was better with snow removal, but you won't have to worry about that driving in June.

The drive through Illinois and Indiana are both boring, so I don't think it really matters! lol.

Congrats on your wedding!

Oh, and when we drove the last time (years ago), I went on McDonalds website and it has a map feature on it. You put in your destination and it lists all of the playlands along your route. It comes in handy when you have small kids who have been sitting in car seats for hours. Though, once you get south of Kentucky, we noticed the playlands were all outdoors.

If I can find my travel info from our drives, I'll post back on where we stayed in Chattanooga. We had 2 great hotels we stayed at. One was a inexpensive one-bedroom suite. This was in a business district with more conference-style hotels. It had a pool, and the room had lots of space, so it worked for us. The other one was near the housing districts. Affordable family-style restaurants within walking distance. It had a pool, too.

HTH

We are going to drive for the 1st time ever STRAIGHT THROUGH!..... We always fly but those rates are outrageous!!!!
We also live in the area of the OP and we were thinking i65. Hmmmm but peeps are saying different interesting......
Anymore tips? Keep them coming!:goodvibes

Gumbo, my plan is to stay the night in Chattanooga and see some sights and also go to Ruby Falls/the cave there and probably lookout mountain. Where would be a good place to stay? I haven't been there in years, lots of years. lol

Right now we have reservations just south of the I24/I75 interchange at a Holiday Inn Express

However, after reading some of the comments I might leave a couple hours earlier and try to get to near Atlanta. Having only 400+ miles left for the next day's drive is very attractive.

You might consider shooting for spending the night in any of the suburbs on Atlanta's south side; I'd recommend Morrow, GA, which is 135 miles south of Chattanooga, and some 430 miles from WDW.

But as others have stated, you have plenty of options, and it all depends on what time you leave Aurora for the 12 hour trip to Morrow; there'll be plenty of hotels in all price ranges at the Jonesboro Rd. exit (HWY 54), as well as McDonalds, IHOP, Soneys, Cracker Barrel & all the rest.

Have a great trip!

http://www.roomsaver.com, http://www.wyndhamrewards.com, and http://www.choicehotels.com have all the hotels and motels you'll ever need in all price ranges.

From all my research, I want to get past Atlanta and as far south as possible. If I can get even more than 12 hours, I will be happy, not so sure about the kids.

The 2 times we drove from Chicago (never again! lol), we went both ways: I-65 & I-57. We thought I-57 was better with snow removal, but you won't have to worry about that driving in June.

The drive through Illinois and Indiana are both boring, so I don't think it really matters! lol.

Congrats on your wedding!

Oh, and when we drove the last time (years ago), I went on McDonalds website and it has a map feature on it. You put in your destination and it lists all of the playlands along your route. It comes in handy when you have small kids who have been sitting in car seats for hours. Though, once you get south of Kentucky, we noticed the playlands were all outdoors.

If I can find my travel info from our drives, I'll post back on where we stayed in Chattanooga. We had 2 great hotels we stayed at. One was a inexpensive one-bedroom suite. This was in a business district with more conference-style hotels. It had a pool, and the room had lots of space, so it worked for us. The other one was near the housing districts. Affordable family-style restaurants within walking distance. It had a pool, too.

HTH

Thanks! Our kids are 15, 11, and 9, but may be tempted to go to the playland. I do plan on throwing a soccer ball in the car so we have something to kick around at rest areas. Please share any Chattanooga info you can find.

We are going to drive for the 1st time ever STRAIGHT THROUGH!..... We always fly but those rates are outrageous!!!!
We also live in the area of the OP and we were thinking i65. Hmmmm but peeps are saying different interesting......
Anymore tips? Keep them coming!:goodvibes

Looks like you go before me. Be sure to update what worked for you ;)

My primary reason for suggesting that you spend the night south of Atlanta would be because their rush-hour traffic can be almost as gruesome as it is out here in LA.

If you spent the night in Chattanooga, you'd have to be out of your hotel & on the road extremely early in order to beat Atlanta's traffic.

If you spent the night in one of those suburbs, you could rise at 6AM, be on the road by 7AM, & arrive at WDW in the early afternoon, depending on how long and where you had breakfast, and a potty break/snack shop stop between suburban Atlanta & WDW.

The 355/I80/I57 route has gotten more votes than the I65 route on this board from what I recall, but it's been pretty close.

HTH.

Regardless of which route you choose, be sure to visit http://www.roomsaver.com and http://www.hotelcoupons.com to print some discount coupons; you may or may not be able to use them if you arrive in either Chattanooga, Atlanta, or anywhere else in both directions late at night, but just showing them to the desk clerk could save you a few bucks.

Good luck, and have a great trip.

HTH.

My primary reason for suggesting that you spend the night south of Atlanta would be because their rush-hour traffic can be almost as gruesome as it is out here in LA.

If you spent the night in Chattanooga, you'd have to be out of your hotel & on the road extremely early in order to beat Atlanta's traffic.

If you spent the night in one of those suburbs, you could rise at 6AM, be on the road by 7AM, & arrive at WDW in the early afternoon, depending on how long and where you had breakfast, and a potty break/snack shop stop between suburban Atlanta & WDW.

The 355/I80/I57 route has gotten more votes than the I65 route on this board from what I recall, but it's been pretty close.

HTH.

Thanks. I have heard the same about Atlanta. My Chattanooga stay will be on the return trip. Going there, I just want to get there and I want the shortest ride on arrival day.

Regardless of which route you choose, be sure to visit http://www.roomsaver.com and http://www.hotelcoupons.com to print some discount coupons; you may or may not be able to use them if you arrive in either Chattanooga, Atlanta, or anywhere else in both directions late at night, but just showing them to the desk clerk could save you a few bucks.

Good luck, and have a great trip.

HTH.

Thanks, I will check out those sites!

We drive 2-3 times a year and have taken many routes but 355 to 80 is way to go, not an exciting route but smoother with less truck traffic. I have gotten a ticket in the above mentioned georgia speed trap saw 4 cars, me being one of them pulled over in less than 1/4 mile. We drive straight thru which really isnt very difficult and I am the lone driver. Have 3 kids under 5 and few potty breaks along the way. Key for us is getting thru Atlanta, we leave at 4pm and roll thru around 2am and arrive in wdw around 11-12 ish and have been lucky to find our room ready most times. Just grab a few 5 hour energy drinks, some headphones and a playlist or 2 while everyone sleeps and have a back up map or iphone because on 2 trips had gps issues and 1 time road closed for fatal car accident so had to figure out a quick detour. Go for it and enjoy !

We drive 2-3 times a year and have taken many routes but 355 to 80 is way to go, not an exciting route but smoother with less truck traffic. I have gotten a ticket in the above mentioned georgia speed trap saw 4 cars, me being one of them pulled over in less than 1/4 mile. We drive straight thru which really isnt very difficult and I am the lone driver. Have 3 kids under 5 and few potty breaks along the way. Key for us is getting thru Atlanta, we leave at 4pm and roll thru around 2am and arrive in wdw around 11-12 ish and have been lucky to find our room ready most times. Just grab a few 5 hour energy drinks, some headphones and a playlist or 2 while everyone sleeps and have a back up map or iphone because on 2 trips had gps issues and 1 time road closed for fatal car accident so had to figure out a quick detour. Go for it and enjoy !

Great insight! I think we are leaving around 12 pm ... we have 5 adults in the car along with luggage so I dont think we will make great time with all that weight!:lmao: My mom also needs to take breaks....we are looking to be there by 10-11 am

That, or you sleep in a little, or mill about in Chattanooga, and get to Atlanta say 10 a.m. after the rush has cleared out??

2526577970063361212rLLdFT_ph.jpg

Not sure if this is going to work but here is a spreadsheet I did regarding the time and distance btw different points along the way to Disney.

I took it to the next level by entering different departure times to see how it effected arrivals both outbound and inbound.

In case you are wondering, yes I was bored at work that day. :thumbsup2

We are making the drive down in the beginning of June from Elmhurst. It will be the first time as a family. We have driven 2x to Hilton Head so I'm sure we'll survive. Who I'm most worried about is DH, he's not much of a road warrior. :rotfl:

We are going to take the 65 route, we live right off 294 and it has been good for us so far. My sisters have done the 57 route and say there is very little difference between the two. They warned me about the speed traps in GA, they loathe having to drive through that state because it's so long and with the traps it's just makes it worse.

Question on Atlanta traffic: is there an issue on Saturdays? We will probably be hitting there on Saturday both on the way down and back. Am hoping it's a No.

Thanks for the website links, will check them out. DSis did tell me there is a nice Fairfield Inn at exit 263 in GA past Atlanta.

Suzanne033 thanks for the spreadsheet! That is so like something I'd do. ;)

Question on Atlanta traffic: is there an issue on Saturdays? We will probably be hitting there on Saturday both on the way down and back. Am hoping it's a No.

Shouldn't be, unless it's right before or right after an Atlanta Braves game.

Shouldn't be, unless it's right before or right after an Atlanta Braves game.

We went through Atlanta at about 4am on a Saturday morning on the way down and it was just fine. It was a completely different story coming back. We got to Atlanta at approx. 4pm (again on a Saturday) and it was a nightmare. It took us approx. 2 hours to get from abt 10 miles south of Atlanta to downtown. Believe it or not, once we got to the downtown area it cleared up considerably.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter