Best Deluxe for 'casual' trip

Raya

DIS Veteran
I've finally wrapped my head around the $700 to $900 a night price tag for a deluxe and now I can't decide which one!

We usually stay at YC & BC because of the amazing pool. However our next trip is centered around MNSSHP (going two nights) with a 6 day park hopper. We're planning to be in the MK each day, but taking it 'casually' so going in whenever, hitting other parks for an hour or two the morning of the parties, not rope dropping or trying to get everything done in a day. This is a whole new way to Disney for us, after at least 35 visits. I'm not sure what hotel would be best for that.

Since we're focusing on MK, a monorail resort seems smart. But Poly has construction going on, GF has the lobby renovation, and Contemporary has a boring pool. We can go back to YC/BC which is within an easy walk or boat ride of HS or EPCOT and has a great pool but we'll have long transport times going to MK. I have great childhood memories of Fort WIlderness, but in hurricane season that sound like a terrible idea. We've even kicked around the idea of the Tower at Coronado Springs, and using the money we save to exclusively travel by Minnie Van.

Anyone got a great way to decide which hotel works best?
If we pick based on food options it would be GF.
If we pick based on 'never stayed there before' it would be Poly.
If we pick based on cost, it would be Coronado Springs.
If we pick based on pool, it would be YC/BC.

Why not go for the boardwalk instead of YC/BC? You have access to boardwalk, yacht club, beach club, swan and dolphin, epcot, hollywood studios, and the skyliner can take you to art of animation, pop century, riviera, and Caribbean beach. Monorail Resorts a pretty one dimensonal- after we are finished with magic kingdom they lose their lustre pretty quickly.

At Poly you really don’t notice the construction if you don’t have a room facing it. So stay away from standard view. I think the DVC rooms are furthest away from the construction if you book that, you don’t need to own your own points to stay there.

Wilderness Lodge didn’t make your cut? I find it to be the most relaxing of the deluxe resorts in MK area (and the boats to/from run regularly)
That's our backup resort! We've got reservations there now. :) We stayed there in 2016 & 2003. Both times there was a mad dash through bug infested areas on the dock each night and I've never heard the end of it from my family. Didn't bother this Florida native, but I guess a few swarms of insects in the lights freak out city-folks. :P

You can’t beat the walk to/from CR. I love the lake view tower rooms. Three good restaurants, fireworks views. Easy access to Poly without the price tag.

If you can get past the bugs as you mentioned in your post, I would vote for WL - it's super convenient for MK and you won't have any construction to contend with. Second choice would probably be GF as it's still a quick boat ride back from MK after a late night. If the possible lobby construction bothers you, I would do Poly, but maybe see if a villa studio is available, which guarantees you will be away from the construction. Otherwise, I would probably choose a Poly room category that has no possibility of overlooking the construction (lagoon? theme park?).

I just wouldn't count on the Minnie Vans - they are SUPER expensive now and sometimes quite difficult to get.

We are WL people. It is so relaxing and beautiful, but we live in the country and bugs are just a part of life. What about the DVC at the Contemporary? No idea what the pool is like, I hate swimming.

That's our backup resort! We've got reservations there now. :) We stayed there in 2016 & 2003. Both times there was a mad dash through bug infested areas on the dock each night and I've never heard the end of it from my family. Didn't bother this Florida native, but I guess a few swarms of insects in the lights freak out city-folks. :P
Just take the bus! Sometimes it shared with CR so it’s not much of a time saver but whenever I took it it was never crowded, seats for all. I took the bus almost exclusively to/from MK last times I stayed WL (2019, 2021). No big dash to avoid the bugs on disembarkation necessary (I hate bugs, bugs love me, I would have noticed!)

So, my first thought was also WL. It’s removed so nicely it seems to be in a different part of WDW than any other hotel yet it has civilization in it’s multiple dining options, nice pools and easy transport to MK. I particularly enjoy geyser point- no ADRs allowed 👏 If your fam won’t do WL then GDT with MVs. Just be aware at peak times (like party end) this might be difficult and you may have to resort to a bus or going to CR to catch a rideshare. I love GDT for a deluxe feeling trip while saving dough, however there is only 1 hot tub (yes, biggest on property, but still uno) and the main pool is basically a giant square so not terribly interesting.

My vote would be for GF. It's a great resort for relaxing. We love the pools here as they never seem to be busy and the slide is really fun at the beach pool. As you know, the food is outstanding and for nights you aren't in MK, you can grab an outside table at Gaspie's, have a drink or dessert, and watch the fireworks. Basically all of the rooms have a balcony for morning coffee and afternoon/evening gazing and people watching. It's a quick monorail ride to MK and a quick boatride back.

My second choice would be Poly booking either a water view room or a DVC standard view. Beautiful resort. My biggest gripes about this resort revolve around crowds. The main pool gets very busy during the day and the resort as a whole has lots of visitors in the evening bustling around due to the popular restaurants and lounges.

I think the GF is the best choice. You can walk to MK, they have great pools, good restaurants, and how often are you really going to be affected by the lobby renovation?

Second choice: YC/BC. You have park hoppers, which means you could enjoy Epcot restaurants every day/night if you wanted. Or take a stroll through Epcot to get to the monorail. I know it's a long walk, but still, it's doable.

I'd take CSR tower off your list. That's a long haul to MK, even if you are taking Minnie Vans. And no balcony.

Go with GF. It's a new type of disney experience for you, and now that you have reconciled the cost, enjoy the perks. We recently started our new disney trips (without the kids) and discovered a whole different vacation style (much more laid back). Enjoy the new norm.

My vote for you would be requesting a room away from the construction at the Poly. I think everyone likes the GF because everyone else tells them to like it. The theme is the "More Plain, the Better White" and the architecture is "American Boring." The lobby construction is probably the most interesting thing you will ever see there. The only thing "Grand" about the Grand Floridian is the price people will pay for one great dining venue, V&A, and to stare at white nothingness, the Rauchenberg Effect. I get that my opinion isn't a popular one, but there it is.

Will the GF lobby reno even be happening when you go?

I would either choose GF or CR for walkability. Poly is too spread out and not as convenient IMO as GF and CR.

My vote would be for Wilderness Lodge or Boardwalk Inn.
Very relaxing pace at the Wilderness Lodge to get away from the hustle and bustle of the parks, or Boardwalk to be close to so much dining and entertainment inside and outside of the parks. Two different experiences, but both awesome.

I vote for GF. The walkway to MK is a game changer. We used the walkway all the time and rarely found ourselves using the monorail. Even if there is a disruptive lobby refurb, which I doubt, it isn't going to ruin your vacation, imo.

The trip that you've described is the trip I've been taking 3-4 times a year for the last several years, since my daughter is a CM. I and my family travel to visit her as well as Disney, and now view our trips as "vacations" versus park commando experiences (we did plenty of those in the old days). Now when I go, I travel without a minute-by-minute itinerary, no "plans", no ADRs. My go-to for that type of vacation (and it is a vacation)... is the Grand Floridian. As others have mentioned, including yourself, it's the perfect vacation resort for several reasons. Here are a few of my faves:

1. Proximity to MK. I love being able to spontaneously decide to bop into the MK for a bit. I usually walk over, but it's the first stop on the monorail. I usually walk or boat back - it's the first boat stop upon leaving the park. The walkway is beautiful.
2. Pools. My family loves the Beach pool with slide and also the large Courtyard pool with the hot tub. They're both great. It's nice to have both options.
3. Food. So many food choices at the Grand. My husband and I love doing impromptu dinners at the bar at Citrico's or Narcoosee's. Steakhouse 71 at the Contemporary is an easy walk or monorail ride away. The Poly restaurants are an easy walk. We love the Grand Floridian Cafe and Gasparilla Grill, and often enjoy our dinner then sit outside on the patio at Gaspy's for fireworks.
4. Marina. We enjoy taking out a pontoon boat and boating around Seven Seas Lagoon if the mood strikes us. Easy in/out, and we've never had to wait for a pontoon.
5. Spa. Massage at the Spa is always amazing.
6. Proximity to the Poly. We usually bop over to Trader Sams at the Poly for a drink or two, or bop over to get Dole Whips. Always fun.
7. The GF has a beautiful/calming atmosphere. Magical at night, looking across the water at Cinderella Castle while watching the monorails glide by.

Poly would be my second choice. I love it there too, but miss the super quick walk to the MK that you get at GF. I *often* do an impromptu "I'm going to run over to the MK for the parade" or something like that, and if anyone in my family wants to come with me, fine. If not, I'll go do what I want and be back soon. It's so awesome. One morning my family was slow in waking up. We had no plans, it was Early Entry, and I sent a text and off I went. I had a magical early morning at the MK by myself, with no agenda. They texted when they eventually got up, and we regrouped.

Contemporary would be my third choice. Same as you, just don't love the pool. Yacht/Beach, why repeat a prior experience and put yourself far away from the MK on an MK focused visit? GDT? Again, I don't see that being relaxing if my focus is MK.

Regards construction to the GF Main Lobby... unless you were planning to stay Main Building, I wouldn't let that bother you. I usually stay Outer Building and while I do go into the Main Lobby some, I hang around outside most of the time. It's quite possible that the construction wouldn't affect you, depending on timing.

Whatever you decide - have a great Disney vacation. Traveling without a stringent agenda is so freeing. You'll love it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter