Best and Worst Too Subjective

StraightToDumbo

Monorails kill dreams.
Basing a Top 5/Bottom 5 on personal "emotional connection" doesn't really get to the heart of what people really want to know. I'd like to see more audience polling because large sample size can usually root out emotional ties. Also, maybe some reasoning behind the votes to help guide your discussion. I do like the personal stories I just think to steer people in the right direction you need to be less emotional and more general and objective.

Some ideas for future Best/Worst: Counter Service, Wait Times to Attraction Quality Ratio, and FastPass Priority.

The only problem with that is the poll is also subjective. My best might well by another person's worst. I don't mind either way since they always preface it by saying it's just their opinion and give their reasons. You aren't going to get reasons on a poll. Kind of like reviews that give a hotel on a river a 2 because you could hear boat horns all night or the hotel is over a 100 years old and smelled musty. You can take that review and throw it out because, well what would you expect on a river or from an old converted warehouse on a river but you don't get that option on a poll.

They have always made it clear that the best and worst is their personal preferences and that you shouldn't judge simply based on their best and worst list. When they pool facebook they even make it clear that it was from a social media poll. Ranking lists are always subjective so not sure what you want out of them. One person's best/worst could be the complete opposite of another.

No, it doesn't get to what you want to know. I am actually interested in the teams experiences. Any kind of review is always going to be subjective. My favourite resort is Saratoga Springs, a lot of people think that this is insane. Neither of us are wrong, it's subjective.

But no matter how you do it, it's subjective?

There's no way to have an objective opinion. Even if you're experiencing something new for the first time, your previous preconceptions will influence your opinion. It might be your first visit to the All Stars, but if you dislike uncomfortable beds or lots of kids, you're immediately going to have a negative opinion.

It's a free, optional video on the internet. Best not to let it get to you too much.

Last edited:
No, it doesn't get to what you want to know. I am actually interested in the teams experiences. Any kind of review is always going to be subjective. My favourite resort is Saratoga Springs, a lot of people think that this is insane. Neither of us are wrong, it's subjective.

Any particular reason SS is your fav?

They are very clear that the information provided in these is their own opinion. Keyword: opinion. If that's not the stuff you want to hear then it may not be the show for you. I love hearing about their opinions and why they have them. Not everything has to be pure data driven. I can easily find that information in a number of ways. I want emotion and thought and feelings to go WITH that data.

If they did only objective reviews, we'd be stuck with things like:
  • Worst snack, by calorie count
  • Longest queue, in feet
  • Princess dresses ranked, by Pantone number
  • Loudest spot to watch Fantasmic, in decibels

Hmmm... now that I say that, I'd actually be interested in hearing about most of those lol

I don't think it's possible to be totally objective.

I mean, take rides for example. Dry data wouldn't mean much. A lot of people love star tours and mission. Those are my worst rides. I get motion sick. But Everest and California screaming- which might actually be more intense- I love. I want different opinions from various people on new rides, so I can get an idea if I want to ride. And this is complicated at Disney because enjoyment of stuff is also based on enjoyment of movies and nostalgia. If you love Frozen, you're going to love FEA. If you don't love Frozen, it might be torture to ride. If you watched Peter Pan as a kid, you will love that ride. If you didn't, you might not see the magic. It's dated, and takes a bit of imagination/nostalgia to really get into it.

And then resorts, like others have mentioned, are another issue. You can compare them amenity wise but amenities don't make them the best or worst. Contemporary is a good example of this. Lots of people love that hotel. I don't get it. You could pay me to stay there, but I wouldn't pay to stay there even at value hotel prices.

OP, I can appreciate your opinion. But basing the show on only the poll results is going by what other people have emotional connections to because I believe that what someone else likes or does not like is determined by how they feel. Either way, I like the show and I think it's fun to be able to participate in the polls but also enjoy hearing what the team feels about things & their stories behind why.

I'm fine with the rankings but I think for clarity they could say Top Five and Bottom Five rather than Best and Worst in some cases. For example on the recent Best and Worst Resorts for families when it was a Facebook poll: I'm not on Facebook so I don't know how the poll was conducted. Was it one question "What is your favorite resort for families?" or was it two questions "What is your favorite resort?" and "What is your least favorite resort?" It seems like it was one question and one of the All Star Resorts was worst of the worst because it got one vote. Was that one vote for best? Did no resort get no votes? I am a little confused.

Also I love cschaff's ideas! :)

Basing a Top 5/Bottom 5 on personal "emotional connection" doesn't really get to the heart of what people really want to know. I'd like to see more audience polling because large sample size can usually root out emotional ties. Also, maybe some reasoning behind the votes to help guide your discussion. I do like the personal stories I just think to steer people in the right direction you need to be less emotional and more general and objective.

I think people are missing the point OP. Before we can properly proceed we must conduct a poll to find out "what people really want to know" to determine which polling questions can be used to best reach the entire audience.

You would still need to weed out people like me. The last time I recommended a restaurant to someone was Le Celier 15 years ago; Now I can not return because demand has gone up meaning higher prices and lower quality of food. If I presented a top 5 dining it would be five places I never go.

I believe that most people who listen to Pete already know what his lists will be, but when they announced the 'worst five resorts as voted on by the listeners' we knew what would be there too, the only question was which All Star would take the title.

The atmosphere, it feels so relaxed and I love nothing more than going for a little late night stroll alongside the lake between Saratoga and Disney Springs and hearing the music from Disney Springs.
Totally get it, Sean. I did not like Saratoga when I stayed there, but mostly because my building was pretty far from a bus stop when I was having mobility issues, and also - while gorgeously done, the color palette is not my personal fave. But - your feelings perfectly express why I do love Old Key West so much (plus the bigger units, and the boat ride on the Sassadoula!) :) Well said, my friend, well said.

Totally get it, Sean. I did not like Saratoga when I stayed there, but mostly because my building was pretty far from a bus stop when I was having mobility issues, and also - while gorgeously done, the color palette is not my personal fave. But - your feelings perfectly express why I do love Old Key West so much (plus the bigger units, and the boat ride on the Sassadoula!) :) Well said, my friend, well said.
Totally get this!! One of my favourite things to do is hop on the bus from Saratoga/Disney Springs to Port Orleans and have a walk around there/have lunch, lot's of nice walking areas aroud both of these resorts haha! The feeling of not being right within the hustle and bustle of WDW is the main positive. They where clever when they build these DVC properties IMO, they must have identified their audience desires well

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter