Being in restaurants and by hotel pool?

mikeishere

Mouseketeer
I’m doing another solo trip to Disneyland Paris in June. I still have two tiny issues that bug me about going solo and wanted to know if anyone has any tips or tricks for dealing with them?

The first one I have an issue with is dining alone in restaurants, I’ve done it before in Walt’s Restaurant on Main Street and I felt like this woman on the opposite table to me was having a good laugh and whispering to her partner that I was on my own.

My second thing is regarding going to swimming pool alone does anyone else find it awakward?

Well, I'm not the type to worry about such matter at all, even if people are noticing me, which in my experience most don't. I rarely do table service restaurants when solo, but that's really because on a solo trip I usually want to move around faster and maximize my time. There's nothing that bothers me about it though.

As for the pool, lots of individuals will be there and it is doubtful anyone would notice you. Many solo guests use the pools, and sometimes they just split from their groups because someone wanted to get in a swim, not that it matters. Most people are paying too much attention to their own fun to even notice others.

Well, I'm not the type to worry about such matter at all, even if people are noticing me, which in my experience most don't. I rarely do table service restaurants when solo, but that's really because on a solo trip I usually want to move around faster and maximize my time. There's nothing that bothers me about it though.

As for the pool, lots of individuals will be there and it is doubtful anyone would notice you. Many solo guests use the pools, and sometimes they just split from their groups because someone wanted to get in a swim, not that it matters. Most people are paying too much attention to their own fun to even notice others.

Thanks, I do worry a bit, hehe

I don't think most people are thinking about which diners are solo or are concerned with other diners at all. If they are, it's more about their hangups than anything to do with you. I haven't eaten solo at Disney table service yet, but if I was on a solo trip I definitely would. It's nice to be able to eat what you want, when you want.

I don't think anyone would look twice at you using the pool or know whether you were actually there alone or not.

Try not to worry! Have a good trip!

Eating alone is probably one of the most difficult things to deal with while traveling solo. It was hard for me in the beginning as well since I can get quite self-conscious. But the more you do it, the more confident you will feel.

Some tips: if you don't like where your table is located, ask to be moved! One of my first times dining alone, the hostess sat me nearly in the middle of the restaurant. I asked to be seated to the side. This may eliminate any 'everyone is staring at me' feelings that my arise. Ask to be seated near a window or the patio if possible so you can people watch. This is a terrific distraction. I don't usually read while at the table but I definitely check up on my social media and post on Facebook or text with family and friends giving them update. This also may help if you are feeling a bit lonely.

No worries and have fun!

I agree with the tips about asking for a specific table. If you have a place with a view, it feels less odd to be alone. I also bring my kindle (it's good when I'm in lines too) so I can read while I eat, if there's nothing to look at.

I travel solo a lot since my honey dislikes to travel and eat at restaurants all the time. I really don't think anyone even notices and if they do, ignore them. I've had chefs come out and talk to me when solo and have had them send out special things for me (not so much at Disney). I always have kindle downloaded on my phone and just read after the server has taken my order and enjoy myself looking at everything. As far as the pool, even when I travel with my son I often spend time alone at the pool. It's no big deal, a lot of people go to the pool by themselves because other members of their party are doing something else. Again, I read, I enjoy a refreshing adult beverage, I enjoy time at the hot tub where I always meet people.

I have gone to WDW solo twice, have had other solo vacations, and go places alone while at home. Very few people notice you. Bear in mind that even if they do, they don’t know your story or why you are alone. I personally don’t care what people who don’t know me are thinking, but I know some people are more self-conscious.

Regarding dining, I suggest you practice dining alone at restaurants in your hometown to get accustomed to it. As others have mentioned, have a phone, Kindle, or mini tablet with you and read, check social media, or play games while you are waiting for your food. If it is a restaurant with a view, ask to be seated outside or near a window so you can look at the view or people watch. You will only focus on others’ reactions to you if you are paying attention to them.

I’ve never done a table service alone at Disney, but I’ve done counter service alone. I had a meal at the Fish & chips place in England in Epcot. I took the last empty table. When I saw a mom & her adult daughter looking for a place to sit I invited them to sit with me. That was fun to meet new people!

Have fun on your upcoming trip. When are you going?

I’m doing another solo trip to Disneyland Paris in June. I still have two tiny issues that bug me about going solo and wanted to know if anyone has any tips or tricks for dealing with them?

The first one I have an issue with is dining alone in restaurants, I’ve done it before in Walt’s Restaurant on Main Street and I felt like this woman on the opposite table to me was having a good laugh and whispering to her partner that I was on my own.

My second thing is regarding going to swimming pool alone does anyone else find it awakward?
As long as it’s not a character meal, I’m fine solo at any table service restaurant anywhere. You can use your cell phone to look up park information, text friends, look at the photos you took that day, share them with friends and family. People at other tables could care less about you being alone. I’d much rather sit next to someone sitting quietly alone than sit near a family who allows their kids to scream-cry till their faces are red, throw food, and run around the restaurant.
Pool, not an issue at all. But I do love an early morning swim at a quiet pool before the “ Marco Polo” set arrives.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter