Being fair to DD (13) with DS (2)

plutosmyfav

<font color=deeppink>Has high hopes, high apple pi
DD is 13 and quite the little teenager. She's not excited about the trip because she feels she's outgrown Disney. Of course, Mom knows better :)

I also have DS who will be 2 1/2 when we leave in two weeks. My problem is: I have been collecting little toys and books and things to occupy DS on the plane and in lines and at restaurants -- something new for everytime he gets fidgety (out of necessity). It just occured to me that I don't have anything special for DD. She's much harder to buy for. I don't approve of her music choices so CDs are out. I'm brining my laptop but DS gets to use it to watch Thomas the Tank Engine on the plane. I'll set it up for DD to IM in the hotel room with her friends back home, but that's the only special thing I have planned so far. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I do plan to bring her to Barnes & Noble before the trip to buy some magazines and crossword puzzle type stuff for the plane ride.

PlutosMyFav

plutosmyfav:

Try www.FairyGodmotherGifts.com

They offer gifts in the form of baskets, boxes, whatever in all different shapes and sizes with all different content. The price range is quite doable. They can accomodate anything you need and will even work with the resort to have the item in your room if possible.

I'm not affiliated, but am using them for our December trip and have been thrilled with the customer service so far.

Does she have a Gameboy? www.half.com is a good source for used games. Instead of music CDs what about books? (i.e. Harry Potter) Another idea is puzzle books like a book of crosswords, word finds, etc. My ds listens to HP on tape while playing GBA.

I bet there are a lot of little things that DD would like to get when DS gets his surprises. What about tiny bottles of nail polish or lip gloss, or a beenie baby. She might prefer a different special treat such as shopping or picking the resturant.

If the trip is far enough away, would you consider letting her bring a friend? Bet WDW would take on a whole new view with another teenager to share it with. I sure that being the big sister of a toddler is tough.If Dh or another adult is aong I would slipt up at leasst sometimes to let her do some of the big stuff without haviing to ride Dumbo 10 times.Good luck!!!

Jordan's mom

WHen I was thirteen, I still loved stuffed animals - I would do a big mickey or minnie or whatever she likes. Also, maybe some prestamped postcards for her friends, a journal with gel pens - one of cameras where the pictures come out right away, not polaroid, they have new one the kids really like, and glitter everything, lotion, hairspray, nail polish ect. THose things would surely get her in the Disney mood! Tonia

I would get her a camera to take her own pictures (even if it is just a disposable camera). Pick up some Disney dollars so she can buy her own snacks and souveneirs at the parks. Is she the type to like pin trading? You could pick up a few pins at the Disney store to get her started. Would she like collecting pressed pennies (probably a stretch) if so give her a bag of quarters and pennies. How about a fanny pack (to hold her camera and disney dollars!) and some sunglasses? Do you have those Motorola type walkie - talkies? That would allow her to go somewhere with one parent while the other did things with the toddler. Definately use baby swapping at the park - that will allow her to do some things with both parents that the toddler can't do (the last 2 are not "stuff" you can give her, but if she knows you have ideas to make the trip fun for her it may help her get into it a little more). Maybe a phone card to let call her friends while on the trip. Pick out some of her favorites snacks/candy and pack those for the plane ride. If she has a gameboy - a new game and some headphones so she can play it on the plane without being too noisy. Make a point of telling her that you bought all those things for the little one not just to make his trip special - but stress that they are to keep him entertained so you ALL can enjoy a better trip.

Thanks everyone! These are all wonderful ideas. She doesn't have a gameboy. I think I'll look into that. I agree that she would enjoy some "intangible" treats, too.

Does she like to read? I would give her $10 to buy a magazine or book in the airport, and see what would she like? I think at that age, I liked reading some "Teen" type magazines, but my mom would never buy them. That way she would have something special to do on the plane.

Jenn

how about a Mad Lib book ? My DD is 9 and loves to do this - I have just gotten her a new one for our trip next week. also she love to color the Fuzzy Posters and they do sell smaller ones that fit into her backpack.. How about a book on tape/Cd since you don't approve of her music this might be a wiser choice ?
Hope this helps some Michelle

From this great list of ideas I have chosen:

Gameboy Advanced
Will let her do a book and magazine spree at Barnes & Noble before we go
Mad libs sound like a great idea
Tea at GF sounds wonderful
Possibly a book on CD
I've installed AOL on my laptop so she'll have IM for the hotel room evenings
I might let her pick one DVD to buy for watching on the laptop, too.
Maybe she and I will do DD by ourselves, too. We can shop alot longer without the boys :D

That should do it!!!! Her "toys" are alot more expensive than DS!!!

Thank you all for such great input.:D

When we're planning our Disney trips, a few months before the trip, I buy each child a "character bag" (like you would use for birthday gifts). I have two teenagers and a little one and they all have come to love their SURPRISE bags! Each week when I go to the store, I pick up some kind of treat for each of them - candy, gum, Search & Find books, coloring books and brand new crayons (just an 8 pk but for my youngest, I buy the large crayons so they don't break or disappear as easily), disposable camera, stamps, Disney dollars, etc. (age appropriate, of course). I like to buy a little each week.

Its a lot of fun for them to see what I have in their "goodie bag"!

When we get there, we usually split up - DH goes off with the big girls, Allison and I do the kiddy things and shop. Sometimes, DH comes with us, and the girls get to go off by themselves and we meet up for lunch. My girls never miss a meal, so I know they'll meet us at the right time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter