Becoming Lean, Mean, Endurace Event Machines in 2008

Thanks, Beth! I appreciate your detailed explanation. When people say, low carb, it can mean anything, these days! And I often find nuggets and gems that I use for me! :daisy:

I do much the same, I avoid simple sugars, white and processed grains and bread, etc. I eat starchy vegetables, vegetables, fruit, and legumes. I find I feel best when I avoid grains. Funny how we all work differently, isn't it? :butterfly

Does anyone else here use fitday to track their carbs and calories? It's free and easy. I've been trying to keep my carbs around 40%, but fitday tracks ALL the carbs, even the ones in black coffee. I was also inspiried by the Biggest Loser and went out and bought their cookbook. I have two serving of whole grain (usually steel cut oatmeal and/or brown rice) and one serving of fruit a day, the rest of my carbs comes from veggies! It's real similar to Phase II of south beach.

I love love love low carb eating. I did low carb (no grains, starchy veggies, or sugar or fruit) for three years and felt great. But needed to modify it a little with my training, plus I was really getting bored. I haven't gained any weight but I haven't lost any weight either, and am really looking forward to losing about 20 pounds!

You guys are so inspiring! Keep up the good work everyone!

Maria and Ms.MightyDuck, I know exactly what you mean by WISH being a strong motivator. I've pretty much been a slug today, using the term rest day pretty liberally. But I thought if I wanted to post something here, I'd better have something to say other than "Um, I thought about working out. Really hard."

So I did my strength training today, plus worked up enough energy to sweep the snow from our sidewalk. (It's strange here in Pittsburgh--no one seems to own shovels, just brooms. They sweep the snow. :confused3) I also went to a restorative yoga class last night, hoping to reduce stress & increase flexibility. It's been years since I practiced, and I didn't want to jump right in. I was so disappointed--the class was disorganized & lower than low key; in a 90-minute class we didn't do one standing pose! I left feeling frustrated and more stressed out than I started--not a good sign! I won't go back to that class, and am now eyeing a Tai Chi class. I've never taken one so don't know what to expect. Has anyone here?

As for food, I realize just how much I have to learn from all of you! I kind of depend, too much I think, in SparkPeople & really just focus on eating more vegetables so that I can, you know, earn that vegetarian label. Then I worry about protein. I should be worried about fats & sugars, too. Thanks for the calculator julia&nick'smom! I've used fitday, Texa, and like it--but keep coming back to Sparkpeople for the community.

So thanks to your wife you're doing Dopey, JimB? I have to say your post made me smile. Hanging out with my DH is what convinced me to try Goofy last year, and I had the time of my life! (Only doing one of them for 2009, but not sure which one.) You sound like you have a great base already. Congratulations--I'll be sure to bring Snickers bars for the scream team!

Speaking of Snickers, I'm still struggling with the food issue. Lots of cravings today, although I'm not sure if it's pure hunger or just a desire to eat what I want to eat. Reading your posts help, though, so keep your progress, encouragement, and suggestions coming!

Hi all! I had been dreading today - I had to go meet my new doctor and have a physical - UGH! However, she is sooooo great!!!! She didn't criticize me and belittle me like my last doc :goodvibes , and she was really excited to hear about my exercise ventures (last doc told me I was too heavy to be doing endurance activities). She was also very interested in doing the Danskin Tri at Disney in May - yea!!! And the best part... since my last time in on Jan 2nd, I've lost 10 pounds!!!! :woohoo:

Kate - Thanks for the links to the diabetic diet. Both of my parents are diabetic, and I think this diet might be a good one for me to look into.

Jim B - Yea for DW doing the 5K!!! :thumbsup2

Kathy - That is a tough schedule, but you can do it! You're worth it!!!

Vic - How did your run go today? I haven't been able to walk, yet (blisters are still healing), but was able to ride my bike.

Sandy - How did you do on those goals yesterday? Thanks for the reminder about the water - I need to go get some now. ;)

As for the low carb diet/WOL, I have found that I feel best on WW Core. I don't necessarily lose as fast, mainly because I don't stop when I am satisfied, but I love the energy I have with only whole grains, no bread, and no processed food. It is really an all-natural approach, encouraging lots of veggies, lean meats, and fruit.

Time to get the baby up from his nap. Keep up the great work ya'll!!! (That was for you, Bill) ;)

--Lynnda

Oh thank goodness you are all here :worship: :worship: :worship:

I just about raided the darn vending machine but came here first. You stopped me from almost ruining my 2nd day on plan. Thank you thank you thank you :worship:

I grabbed a diet soda (water is nasty here) and will survive until I can get home for a decent snack before dinner.

Yesterdays menu:
B - baked apple oatmeal w/yogurt
L - lean cusine panini (need to work on this)
D - lean pork roast, mixed summer veggies
S - sf pudding

Todays menu is same as appove so far. Dinner is questionable but it will be on plan!!!!

Thanks again everyone!

Lynnda said:
Vic - How did your run go today? I haven't been able to walk, yet (blisters are still healing), but was able to ride my bike.

Lynnda - Got two miles in on the TM. I could definitely feel my owies on the bottom of my feet, but was able to run without much problem. I'll run again on Thursday, and be out at a 5K on Saturday.

Hope your blisters heal up fast so you can get back to walking. Glad to hear you were able to ride your bike. :thumbsup2

All - Keep up the great work! :thumbsup2

Once again, you guys got me moving! The last thing I wanted to do when I got home was get on the stationary bike, but I couldn't be left out!

Great job, everyone! Woohoo!

Maria

Hi friends! Just a note to say thanks to all of you. Since I've been on this board and thread, I seem to have found a new "groove" in which I'm coming home from work, exercising, and eating a point-calculated dinner. I've also been able to lay off the snacks at work. I'm much more inspired! Today was my 4th full day of no cheating and sticking to my 20 points (I'm doing WW Fast Track for 2 weeks). I'm enjoying feeling my legs and arms feel stronger as I do toning and cardio every day. :cool1:
Can't wait for the weather to warm up to get outside now!

Once again, you guys got me moving! The last thing I wanted to do when I got home was get on the stationary bike, but I couldn't be left out!

Great job, everyone! Woohoo!

Maria

Thanks Maria :thumbsup2
because of this post, I let go of the excuses, and got to the gym - I had hoped to get there at dh's lunch time - too many challenges - and I wanted to give in by just doing 30 min of home exercises... but your post made me get my butt in gear - I did 2 miles on the treadmill - slow go... very depressing... but.. . I MOVED... I did it!

Thanks Bill

Yesterday wasn't a great eating day, but at least I kept it somewhat controlled. Rather than putting things off until next week though, I'll shoot for eating "clean" again today.

Today I also intend to commence my 2008 walking-training plan. Only a short walk today, but a start none-the-less. Only 354 days until the Donald. ;)

Keep up the good work everyone. One day and one step at a time.

Howdy, Everyone!

You are all doing great. The hardest part, in my humble opinion, is getting started! Remember, we can't conquer it all at once, it's just one small decision at a time.

I am eating well, but I am experiencing LARGE fluctuations from day-to-day. I am going to have to quit weighing myself. I do this all the time. Eventually, I will quit sliding up and down the scale as much as 6 pounds and stop....for a long, long time. Then the slide begins again. :confused3 At least, it's not boring! :upsidedow

I am doing really well with getting my butt up and doing some things. We are in the process of modeling and remodeling (actually, we have found a contractor and waiting.....:hourglass ) so, I have been really, really busy trying to get myself in the groove, so this doesn't throw me off!

Here's to your health! -- Connie

Wow! I can't believe how powerful this thread is! We are all working out because of our buddies!

Way to go, Bill! -- you got us moving again! Good luck with your walk. I ate better yesterday, it would have been great if not for that bag of popcorn, but that's so much better than a week ago!:lovestruc

Sandy -- You did do it, and we're proud of you!:goodvibes

Larah -- Four days in a row is awesome! I cringe at the thought of 20 pts, I love my food, but I know I've got to get there!popcorn::

Vic -- You are definitely going to be a lean machine with your schedule!:worship:

Minnie -- You're eating great! It does help me if I put in my points for the whole day, then subtract or add as needed. Fewer "slip-ups" that way...:scared1:

Lynnda -- Congratulations on your great loss! What a wonderful motivator, and the new doc sounds awesome!:thumbsup2

Debra -- You've inspired me. It's my rest day, but I'm going to do strength training tonight. Then I can post with all you high achievers!:woohoo:

Texa, Connie, Beth, Jim B., Kathy, Ms.MightyDuck, Julia&Nicksmom -- Wow, lot's of information! You guys are doing great, and I'm getting excited just reading your posts!

We're doing Great!
Maria

I am happy to report things are going well for me. I am back in the groove with my eating, but continue to struggle not to eat after 8:00. I haven't eaten, but it's hard every night to say no to snacking! It's a bad time for me for the 'mindless' eating. I just have to eat nothing!!!!!

I am down 6.5 pounds since jan 1st, and I am working hard for it. I have been running 25 miles a week, and spent an hour on the elliptical last night for 6.5 miles! My mind is in the game!

Beth

Wow! I can't believe how powerful this thread is! We are all working out because of our buddies!

Way to go, Bill! -- you got us moving again! Good luck with your walk. I ate better yesterday, it would have been great if not for that bag of popcorn, but that's so much better than a week ago!:lovestruc

Sandy -- You did do it, and we're proud of you!:goodvibes

Larah -- Four days in a row is awesome! I cringe at the thought of 20 pts, I love my food, but I know I've got to get there!popcorn::

Vic -- You are definitely going to be a lean machine with your schedule!:worship:

Minnie -- You're eating great! It does help me if I put in my points for the whole day, then subtract or add as needed. Fewer "slip-ups" that way...:scared1:

Lynnda -- Congratulations on your great loss! What a wonderful motivator, and the new doc sounds awesome!:thumbsup2

Debra -- You've inspired me. It's my rest day, but I'm going to do strength training tonight. Then I can post with all you high achievers!:woohoo:

Texa, Connie, Beth, Jim B., Kathy, Ms.MightyDuck, Julia&Nicksmom -- Wow, lot's of information! You guys are doing great, and I'm getting excited just reading your posts!

We're doing Great!
Maria

:woohoo: MARIA :cheer2: :cheer2:

I talked to dh about last night - he said that's common after a marathon -

Connie I have the same scale obsession - it took everything in my power NOT to get on the scale today - my clothes arent loser, so stay off the scale.. :sad2: I have decided its THE BIGGEST LOSERs fault!! They pull pretty big numbers - except for the women - they always have 1 or 2 # losses, and work very hard!! (not every woman every week) so I'm staying off the scale...

GOALS
1. Water, water water... increase water, decrease snackage - stick with fruits and veggies as a snack.

2. Ab Routine - situps, side winders, (similiar to a pilates routine Callenetics)

3. Walk Away the Pounds video

Wow!! It sounds like ya'll are doing great. I want to thank all of you for the motivation and the inspiration to get moving again. It has been raining here all morning, so I was reading the boards and was going to post. I stopped myself though, and thought I won't post till I get a couple of miles in. I was dreading getting on the elliptical and was so thankful when the skies cleared. I was able to get my miles in outside during a break in the rain.

It was only my second walk since the Half. Well, that doesn't include walking the parks on Sunday and Monday. However, I am amazed at how much my legs still ache. My shins and my knees in particular. Thing is.... these never gave a me any trouble during the Half but are sore now. Is this common or is it something I need to keep an eye on?

I'm so proud of all of you. You have made some great changes and are taking steps to making your goals reality. That is awesome. For me, I think I am going to cncentrate on small changes and doing them one at a time. I've done several changes at once, and I just can't maintain it. I know my progress will be slow, but I'm hoping it will be lasting. My goal is 5 pounds and a small healthy change every month.

Water is the first change on the list. I really don't like drinking it, but know I need to. I am a Diet Coke addict and will always grab a soda over water any day. I do find it easier to drink when I'm working out, but I know I'm supposed to get even more in during that time.

Anyway, I have not been a frequent poster, so a little about me..... I'm 42 and a SAHM to 2 great girls (8 and almost 6). Dh is an airline pilot, so trying to get the miles in can be challanging when he's at work and the kids aren't in school. I am working on that. My girls have never shown any interest in riding their bikes, and I'm going to really encourage them to do that. I'm hoping that by summer we'll be able to go out doing that as a family in the evenings. By 8:30, it is already too hot to do much outside -- except swim.

I will be doing the 15K Minnie in May and the Half again next January. I really don't like exercising for the sake of exercising or even getting healthier. However, I find that if I have something like a race to work toward then I m not exercising. I'm training, and I like it more. I know I'm doing the same thing, but it is a different mindset for me. I'm also hoping the miles/hours challenge will help keep me moving as well. :cheer2: :cheer2: Go team 2. :cheer2: :cheer2:

Okay, that's it. Sorry for the long post. Have a healthy day team. Stay strong.

Geez. I have a lot of work to do just to keep up. I get winded just reading everyone's posts.

BTW, 16 miles on the bike today. Max sprint of 28.1 mph ('course, the 15 mph tailwind didn't hurt. ;) ;) )

What an awesome support group! Everybody seems to be really on top of things. Today was a short run, 2 miles. I started lifting weights again yesterday so my legs muscles felt kind of heavy when I ran today. And it's raining!:upsidedow

We really needed the rain, but if it could just stop long enough to get in a good dry run...;)

I'm still trying to work out my carb ratios. I don't want to go too low, but not too high either. Right now I'm around 40 % that's without subtracting fiber. Truthfull what I need to do is find something and stick to it, instead of diet hoping all over the place!

Have a super day everyone!

Thanks for all the great posts and good job to all!
I wasn't excited about it, but MADE myself get up and go do the 4-mile WATP this a.m. before my shower. I knew it wouldn't get done otherwise and don't want to break the stride I'm in so far. Yesterday did Biggest Loser low-intensity cardio and toning. Doing okay with my eating and at 9 points so far including lunch. Have a dinner out tonight with friends and always find that a struggle. Unfortunately, I'm not a fan of fish (ok, I won't eat it:rolleyes: ) but I'm working today on trying to get psyched about maybe trying to like a good healthy omega-3 fish...:confused3 Otherwise, hopefully I can find a nice salad or something.
GREAT JOB EVERYONE and THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT!!!! :love:

Another day at the gym, another day of C25K, regular TM work, and elliptical. I managed about 75 minutes, then we had to go so DH could go to work early. I should have worked at a higher intensity than I did, but there was this magazine...

Lynnda, that's great news about your doctor. Having one who really listens to you, and looks at you as a person/takes a look at your whole life, is so important. And so hard to find, I've found. Oh, and congrats on the 10lbs! Whoo-hoo!

Wow, Vic, it sounds like your blisters were really bad. I got them regularly throughout my training, so my Goofy blisters just nestled on top of the old ones & are still healing. So I'm very impressed that you're already running and have scheduled a 5K. Good luck on Saturday.

Sandy, you're right. You moved, you did it. And I find it's very hard to do in winter. What I most want to do is settle in with a nice cup of cocoa & watch movies. So the fact that you did miles on the TM is impressive! Connie is right, getting started is the hardest part--and we're getting started. DLF > DNF > DNS!

I'm another one who is obsessed with the scale--I tend to stare it every day and then think, "What lies are you going to tell me today?" If it's shows I lost weight, I don't believe it. If it shows I gained weight, it confirms my 'failure.' So I've been making a big effort to step away from the scale except for my once a week weigh-ins. Not too successfully, at this point.

Bill, you're already counting down to the Donald! :cool1: Have you signed up already? I've been putting off the decision, so reading your post makes me know I have to get a plan of attack in for the year. Speaking of motivation, I had been having problems motivating to go out to an acquaintance's book signing tonight. Mainly because it's within walking distance (1.5 miles) but not convenient walking distance. Thanks to Maria's posts, I'm just going to "man up" and do it--it'll mean a lot to here that I'm there.

And since Minnie has narrowly averted the siren song of the vending machine, I feel obligated to try & avoid the grande mocha that will be within reach of me while I'm standing in line with (another) copy of her book. No promises though, as I'm not sure I have the willpower of either you or Larahb. Beth, I so understand about the mindless eating. I absolutely HAD to have popcorn last night--but I consoled myself with the fact it was Orville Redenbacher's 100 calorie pack and consoled myself with the popcorn.

Oh, and Eva, add me to the list of folks who aren't that fond of water (which is why I'm so fond of Sandy's goals, keeping me aware of my need to consume.) I MUCH prefer Diet Coke, which became my soda of choice after I had to give up my much beloved and still-missed mountain dew. I need external motivation too, and I'm beginning to think races might be it. I'm really impressed by your determination.

I can't wait for the warm weather, either. I'm doing lots of exercise indoor, but when I am outside I'm toddling like a penguin. (And not my favorite, Bingham species). I love being outdoors on my bike, but I'm not yet a biker. When spring hits, Jim, I might be asking you for tips.

Texa, do you usually lift weights before you run? I keep switching back & forth, because I'm not sure what's best. Right now, I'm doing it before an easy run (hah--all my runs are easy) to that I can concentrate on lifting form. But then my legs are tired...

Anyway, hope everyone is having a great, energizing day!!!!

Good afternoon everyone.

Looks as though everyone is doing well.

Maria - WTG with getting the biking in. I've committed my self to improve my 1/2 marathon performances, and I have to have to have projects (races) to stay committed.

Bill - Get that walk in. That's an order, mister!

Minigirl - Good luck with the training.

Sandy - WTG with the 2 miler!

Connie - Good luck with the training, and the renovations.

Beth - WTg with the 6.5 miler, and the weght loss!

JimB - WTG with the 16 miler!

Texa - WTG with the 2 miler!

Larahp - WTG with the 4 miler!

Debra - Great workout. Yea, I had a blister about the size of a silver dollar on the ball of each foot. Never got a blister, and wore the same shoes and socks as I did during training. I'm assuming the heat and humidity had a lot to do with it.

Y'all keep up the great work. :thumbsup2

It's leg night for me. Squats, dead lifts, and core work. I can't wait! :sad2: :rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter