be honest with me about this please.

dalt01

DIS Veteran
we go to WDW annually but this time around (in june) we are going to disneyland resort. will we be disappointed????????????????

Its like watching Toy Story II first then say you will be disappointed in Toy Story...

no, you wont be... its a different perspective AND its authenticity, and original...

I have been to Disneyland, Walt Disney World, DL-Paris and DL-Toyko (DL-HK is next year). Disneyland in California is my favorite park, hands down. It is beautifully intimate and full of the Disney magic in every square inch. It's Walt's park and in many ways he lives there still. Embrace the "little bitty" castle and you will love the place as much as I do.

As a disclaimer ... I was a bi-coastal AP holder last year :).

To answer your question, sorry but I don't know. It's wierd because I have grown up in Southern california going to DL often. We went to WDW for the first time this year (after months of research and planning) and I was disappointed when I got there. So it all depends on what you are expecting I think. If you have the right expectations about DL (smaller castle, overall smaller, no plastic key with roomticket&credit card linked etc) you will REALLY enjoy yourself. Just taking it all in (not comparing!) you will truly find it magical!

Albort said:
Its like watching Toy Story II first then say you will be disappointed in Toy Story...

That's a great way to put it! :rotfl:

It depends on the ages of your party. I love WDW, but our last trip with 18 mon. DS was brutal so we tried DL this year. The food wasn't as good and cost more, and there aren't as many rides. However, it was much more enjoyable for us because everything is so close and we could slow down and enjoy it. If you have little kids I don't think you will be disapointed - if your more the thrill seeking on the go type than it may not be as good of fit as WDW.

disneydreamerbelle said:
It depends on the ages of your party. I love WDW, but our last trip with 18 mon. DS was brutal so we tried DL this year. The food wasn't as good and cost more, and there aren't as many rides. However, it was much more enjoyable for us because everything is so close and we could slow down and enjoy it. If you have little kids I don't think you will be disapointed - if your more the thrill seeking on the go type than it may not be as good of fit as WDW.

Just to clarify so others won't get the wrong idea: If you are comparing Disneyland Resort to all of WDW Resort, then yes, DLR has fewer rides because it only has 2 parks (DL & DCA) where WDW has 4 theme parks & 2 water parks. But if you compare Disneyland Park to WDW Magic Kingdom, than Disneyland Park has about 30% more rides in it.

I love both DLR and WDW, but knowing that DL was Walt's original park makes it a bit more special for me.
:goodvibes

Im going in June as well to Disneyland. Im also wondering what its going to be like. I've been to Disneyland before, but I want to know what you think about THAT park in particular at that time of the year. Is it busy, early june, late june, should we expect the unexpected?

Read this amazing post written by HydroGuy and it will help you put things in perspective. It helped me a lot before my first trip in August and I'll be back in December. I loved it.

I've done both and consistantly say I think I'd have to say I like DL actually maybe a tiny bit better. I think I feel that way because we left DL feeling like we really did everything we wanted to do. At WDW we leave thinking we wished we'd had time to do X. I liked the smaller size and we liked CA although lots of people seem to not enjoy that park. We liked that we really can walk to everything, no busses or cars involved. Not as many dining choices, but most people aren't there as long as at WDW so it evens out, I guess. I'm sorry there isn't something like the AKL in CA, but the rooms at DLH are very large and comfortable and the bathroom was set up a lot better for 5 people than AKL's.

Oh and the weather....way better in CA! :sunny:

dalt01 said:
we go to WDW annually but this time around (in june) we are going to disneyland resort. will we be disappointed????????????????

Only if you are looking for WDW2!

DL is a completely different environment and experience. Focus on the strengths of DL and try not to do a comparison-type trip. You'll have an unbelievable time. Pay attention to detail!

Disneyland is great. I don't think you will be disappointed at all.

Overall, I prefer WDW because I get the whole resort experience - I love the lakes, the resorts, and relaxing at the resorts. I find the WDW parks less crowded because there is more room to put the people. I also really like Epcot, because I love eating out and the restaurants are so interesting. I don't think the food at DL is as good.

However, DL is fun, too. It is more of a city experience. You've got Downtown Disney right next to the DL resorts and you get a few rides that you aren't at WDW.

Plus, I would look at So Cal as a whole. I hope you are doing more than just DL. I used to live in LA and there are so many great family things to do and places to just hang out in So Cal. You can easily find that overall resort experience - just don't try to find it at DL alone. San Diego is great, especially the Coronado and Mission Bay areas - very much the resort experience. It's about 1 1/2 hours from DL.

GoofyBaby said:

Just to clarify so others won't get the wrong idea: If you are comparing Disneyland Resort to all of WDW Resort, then yes, DLR has fewer rides because it only has 2 parks (DL & DCA) where WDW has 4 theme parks & 2 water parks. But if you compare Disneyland Park to WDW Magic Kingdom, than Disneyland Park has about 30% more rides in it.
If you compare the number of rides at the theme parks and do not count the water parks, WDW only has a few more rides than DLR even though there are four theme parks there and DLR only has two.

WDW now has 73 rides (with the new Nemo ride at Epcot)
DLR will have 67 rides when its Nemo ride (a different ride BTW) is finished in June/July.

See www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=13582170&postcount=46

BTW, here is a list of rides for WDW:

http://hydroguy.smugmug.com/gallery/1819958/1/90919696

And here is a list for DLR

http://hydroguy.smugmug.com/gallery/1819958/1/90919695

mystic_path said:
Im going in June as well to Disneyland. Im also wondering what its going to be like. I've been to Disneyland before, but I want to know what you think about THAT park in particular at that time of the year. Is it busy, early june, late june, should we expect the unexpected?
Early June

- SoCal schools not out = less crowded
- Park hours therefore are less
- Shows and fireworks less frequent
- Grad nights - Early Entry may be cancelled on mornings following a Grad Night

Mid June

- Schools starting to get out = a bit more crowded
- Park hours start to expand

Late June

- Schools out = more crowds
- Longer park hours = you can fit more in
- High season with shows and fireworks maxed out (easier to see shows)
- AP blackout begins and SoCal locals try to squeeze in one last visit before the blackout = more crowds before the blackout (in 2006 the blackout started June 26 I believe)

Personally, I would avoid the few days before the blackout in late June.

We have been to both Disneyland and Disneyworld.

Our family prefers Disneyland. We had the choice of going to either this time, and the entire family chose Disneyland.

You'll have fun!

Jennifer & family
Leaving Sunday for 4 days at Disneyland/CA Adventure and
2 days at Universal Studios :yay:

You won't be dissapointed!!! DL is alot more UPDATED, as far as attractions go. I also think it is kept up better. It is way more intimate, with something to look at, at every nook and cranny and corner. You might be dissapointed in the Castle, but most people who come to DL, look to the Matterhorn as the focal point of DL. I think you will like DCA, as it is comparable to MGM to me. You also might be disssapointed that it is right in the middle of a big city. If you can look beyond that, I think you will love DLR. The two parks ARE SO CLOSE that it is an easy walk to hop back and forth. This is very unique, for those use to hopping on a bus at WDW. Please give it a try with an open mind. I believe you will love it!!! :tinker:

I grew up going to each pretty much equally. My dad lived (and I for much of the time) lived in So. Cal. and my grandparents lived in FL.
I much prefer DL over the MK of WDW. I love the separate building of the Small world, the Matterhorn is a fav. I like having Star Tours at DL instead of having to go to a separate park. To me, DL also seems cleaner and more attuned to ambiance. (And I've found it to be cleaner, too.)
As far as DL resort goes, there are plusses and minuses when comparing to WDW. Obviously, you don't have EPCOT or Animal Kingdom or MGM studios, but many of their attractions have been absorbed into various areas at DLR. Sometimes in DCA, sometimes in DL, sometimes in DtD, sometimes pretty much the same, sometimes with various differences. There aren't as many dining choices, but you're also not as limited to on-site as you are at WDW. I think the $$ is greater for food at DL. There is no Pooh meal at DL, which I think is a huge mistake!
I think the hotels are very expensive for what they are on-site, but the need to be on-site is simply not as great as at WDW because there are hotels off site that are literally closer to the entrance of DL/DCA than the on site ones. There are more options for larger families, I think for lodging.
It's much easier to get around and park hop in DLR vs. WDW. Much faster to get to DtD. No getting on and off busses and having to turn in strollers if you've rented one and want to go to a different park.
Downside, no water parks in DLR. But, some nice themed pools.
All in all, I really don't think you'll be disappointed in DL. You may end up liking it better!
Oh, and weather wise, you'll do much better in DL in June than in WDW in June. Crowds would prob. be the same.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter