Bay Lake Tower vs Grand Floridian DVC?

JCCalistri

Earning My Ears
Hi all!

First time poster and glad to be apart of such a great community. I also want to thank everyone in advance for your candid thoughts and insights. to my question below.

My family and I are debating a DVC purchase for either Bay Lake Tower or Grand Floridian. For context, we have one daughter, age 12, so we are looking both short and long term on our intended use for both ourselves as a couple, as a family and for the family yet to be in the future heaven willing.

With that being said, can you provide any thoughts on which home resort you would choose and why? We are struggling with our pros and cons list and we are hoping the community can help us narrow the focus.

Thanks again everyone!
Juliana

What type of unit will you typically want (size and view)?

What time of year will you most likely travel?

Are you aware that the Polynesian exists?

Seriously though, I like Bay Lake Tower the most of the two. I think it provides good point value relative to Grand Floridian, while still being on the monorail. VGF is better looking and has better amenities though.
What are VGF better amenities?

I'm partial to BLT but you really can't go wrong with VGF, IMO, especially if you're a foodie (Citrico's, Narcoossee's, Victoria and Albert).

VGF for us, but can’t wait to see what BLT refurb will look like. Both have great dining options. My 12 year old daughter loves VGF especially the resort studios. I would try before you buy to see which you like better.

We like VGF better because of the studio options with resort and deluxe categories. The studios are also larger. We like to gym on vacation and prefer the gym and spa at VGF as well. We also prefer VGF pools over BLT.

Last edited:
Long term costs are very close to the same. Points per stay may be a bit of a plus for Bay Lake, but we prefer VGF. It just seems more fun.

Some people focus on travel time to the parks, but being based at VGC, we think all the travel options stink at WDW so that isn't an issue for us.

In the end it always goes back to "buy where your want to stay the most often"

Everybody is different but I wouldn't be able answer this question with a feature comparison. I would recommend to at least walk through both resorts or, if possible, stay there for a night. From a spec perspective BLT would be a better fit for me (proximity to MK, point charts, monorail to TTC) but I just didn't get any emotional connection (feels like a regular chain hotel to me) and would only stay there again if nothing else on the monorail loop was available. Others seem to love it.

Resort choice is such a personal decision that I would also recommend staying at each before making your purchase. That said:

We are team BLT (and own there)! We personally prefer it to VGF for many reasons - way shorter walk to MK (and don’t have to pass the smokers🤢); better points chart; super convenient sky bridge from BLT to Contemporary makes catching the monorail a breeze. Getting anywhere at VGF is not as convenient. Another consideration if you eventually want to book the larger accommodations - booking a 1/2 bedroom is way easier at BLT than VGF since there are far fewer at VGF.

We also love the kitchenette in the BLT studios far more than the deluxe studio kitchenette at VGF (we’ve never stayed at the resort studios).VGF deluxe studios have two showers which some find helpful. Our youngest will be 16 soon, and she also prefers BLT. We definitely can’t wait for the refurb!

Caveat: we have a pool at home, so we don’t really care about our resort pools. Our overall favorite WDW home resort is BCV, but that’s for another thread…🙃😬

Welcome!

We own both BLT and VGF. We have a 5 yo daughter. We've stayed several times at BLT and our first stay at VGF was early April (after Easter break) so the crowds had somewhat diminished. I really thought VGF was my "new favorite resort" until I experienced and compared the transportation to BLT. We are a heavy MK family with a 5 yo. You can't beat the walk from BLT.

I think it partly depends on when you will be travelling and your desired room size.

Thoughts on BLT:
- The 1 BR at BLT has 2 full bathrooms which is important for us
- rooms are a bit dated but refurb should take care of that.
- The pull-out couch isn't overly comfortable, but I think the refurb will take care of that.
- the pool is ok but I like that only BLT guests can use it so it may ease the burden of finding pool chairs and crowding.
- you can't beat the walk to MK.
- some really good resale contract pricing right now. I believe prices go up after the refurb and demand for bookings increases after refurb
- 1 BR LV seems easy to book at 7 months so may not need home resort priority for this

Thoughts on VGF:
- beautiful resort
- beautiful rooms.
- pool and beach area was nice. A bit difficult to find chairs mid-afternoon
- all of the above positives were counterbalanced by the monorail. We were not there during peak time and the monorail to MK would be full. When returning from the MK after fireworks, we would have packed monorails as well and most people were getting off at TTC. In fact, CMs were directing people from the direct monorail line to the resort one which increased wait times and crowding for resort guests. Even for GF hotel guests paying close to $1k/night, the monorail situation has a lot to be desired. One car should be dedicated to VGF. All I could think about was that I wished I was staying at BLT and walking back.

TBH, if I wasn't considering buying Poly Tower, I would definitely pick up more BLT resale at these prices. GL deciding. Both are great choices!

Hi all!

First time poster and glad to be apart of such a great community. I also want to thank everyone in advance for your candid thoughts and insights. to my question below.

My family and I are debating a DVC purchase for either Bay Lake Tower or Grand Floridian. For context, we have one daughter, age 12, so we are looking both short and long term on our intended use for both ourselves as a couple, as a family and for the family yet to be in the future heaven willing.

With that being said, can you provide any thoughts on which home resort you would choose and why? We are struggling with our pros and cons list and we are hoping the community can help us narrow the focus.

Thanks again everyone!
Juliana
We own and love Bay Lake Tower (BLT) but...

As a thought if you really want to stay at the Grand Floridian (VGF) then owning there and booking at the 11 month mark is probably the way to go. And if owning at VGF but wanting to stay at BLT, there will likely still be availability at the 7 month mark for BLT.

This may change once BLT has its hard goods refresh end of this year / beginning of next.

In summary rooms book up quicker at VGF than BLT.

Good luck...

Welcome!

We own both BLT and VGF. We have a 5 yo daughter. We've stayed several times at BLT and our first stay at VGF was early April (after Easter break) so the crowds had somewhat diminished. I really thought VGF was my "new favorite resort" until I experienced and compared the transportation to BLT. We are a heavy MK family with a 5 yo. You can't beat the walk from BLT.

I think it partly depends on when you will be travelling and your desired room size.

Thoughts on BLT:
- The 1 BR at BLT has 2 full bathrooms which is important for us
- rooms are a bit dated but refurb should take care of that.
- The pull-out couch isn't overly comfortable, but I think the refurb will take care of that.
- the pool is ok but I like that only BLT guests can use it so it may ease the burden of finding pool chairs and crowding.
- you can't beat the walk to MK.
- some really good resale contract pricing right now. I believe prices go up after the refurb and demand for bookings increases after refurb
- 1 BR LV seems easy to book at 7 months so may not need home resort priority for this

Thoughts on VGF:
- beautiful resort
- beautiful rooms.
- pool and beach area was nice. A bit difficult to find chairs mid-afternoon
- all of the above positives were counterbalanced by the monorail. We were not there during peak time and the monorail to MK would be full. When returning from the MK after fireworks, we would have packed monorails as well and most people were getting off at TTC. In fact, CMs were directing people from the direct monorail line to the resort one which increased wait times and crowding for resort guests. Even for GF hotel guests paying close to $1k/night, the monorail situation has a lot to be desired. One car should be dedicated to VGF. All I could think about was that I wished I was staying at BLT and walking back.

TBH, if I wasn't considering buying Poly Tower, I would definitely pick up more BLT resale at these prices. GL deciding. Both are great choices!
We also have children that age (and younger) and have almost pulled the trigger on BLT…. How do you think you’ll feel about BLT when they get older?
I really like the size of living rooms and +1 bathrooms. Also the quietness of it (especially for the pool).

We are team BLT (and own there)! We personally prefer it to VGF for many reasons - way shorter walk to MK (and don’t have to pass the smokers🤢); better points chart; super convenient sky bridge from BLT to Contemporary makes catching the monorail a breeze. Getting anywhere at VGF is not as convenient. Another consideration if you eventually want to book the larger accommodations - booking a 1/2 bedroom is way easier at BLT than VGF since there are far fewer at VGF.
I know OP didn't ask, but if convenience were the deciding factor, I think Polynesian has significant advantage over either VGF or BLT. The ability to walk to the TTC and get on the Epcot monorail directly is so much more efficient than riding the MK resort monorail around the loop and then transferring at the TTC.

I've done the math and Grand Floridian to Epcot is the longest "commute" from any Disney resort to any theme park. Significantly worse than even All Star Movies to Magic Kingdom, for example.

Personal preference will of course vary, but the resale prices right now for BLT are great and many on the boards think the resale prices at BLT will go up after the refurb. I'd do BLT for more bang for your buck and the ability to book standard views at 11 months to stretch your points. Plus, proximity to MK is huge too.

We bought in a Beach Club. Our first trip was too close in time to get in at the Beach Club so ended up with a Kidani Village and Grand Floridian resort studio split stay.

We added on direct at the grand Floridian shortly after that trip. It is hands down our favorite resort. It is so bright, easy access to everything at the resort, great food, great poolside service (other than missing a self serve mug station).

I recommend staying at both if you can before you decide.

By the numbers, grand has some rough point costs but man, we love it.

We also have children that age (and younger) and have almost pulled the trigger on BLT…. How do you think you’ll feel about BLT when they get older?
I really like the size of living rooms and +1 bathrooms. Also the quietness of it (especially for the pool).
I have thought about BLT in the future as DD gets older and may like other parks. I have also thought that if she brings a friend, the 2 BR at BLT will be great with 3 bathrooms!

My niece is 13 and my SIL still prefers BLT for the walk to MK. However, they do split stays so the non-MK parks potentially get captured there.

It is tough. You know what you need today and that may not be what you need 5 years from now. I think the convenience of BLT will work for us for a good number of years. Honestly, we also own at BWV and HS and Epcot haven't done much lately for DH and myself. We prefer MK believe it or not.

If you are considering BLT, now is probably time before the refurbishment.

We own at BCV and VGF. On paper BLT has a lot going for it, but I will take the slightly less convenient transportation options for the overall feel of the resort at VGF. I don't want to be super repetitive since folks have already covered all the big points, but I will add that we found the resort boats a very convenient way to get back from MK vs taking the monorail all the way around - VGF is the first boat stop so it's a very short ride. The dock is clear on the other side of the resort from the DVC building but it's a nice walk when the weather is good.

EPCOT isn't an issue for us since it's not a priority for our VGF stays but the next time we go I will be curious to see what the walk to the TTC from the DVC building is like instead of taking the resort monorail and transferring - the walking path to Poly was closed last time we went so didn't get a chance to try it. Just another option that isn't cramming onto a crowded monorail from the lobby.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter