Basin Bath Salts—not TSA friendly...

Sorry but I would push them on this. I also had a TSA agent try to throw away Vaseline. That substance is a gel but excluded from any lists because it's viewed as over the counter medicine (I had it specifically for a cut).

Epsome salt and others are not considered controlled at all by TSA that I have ever come across.

TSA can be the biggest pain in the *** at times because some don't know the rules, regulations, or laws.
I like to bring epsom salts to soak my feet at night after the parks.. been flagged twice by TSA.. whether in it's original foil pouch.. or smaller ziploc bags, they were flagged and 'tested'..

Sorry but I would push them on this. I also had a TSA agent try to throw away Vaseline. That substance is a gel but excluded from any lists because it's viewed as over the counter medicine (I had it specifically for a cut).
Was it in a separate plastic or other bag designated as and containing only medical items?

Was it in a separate plastic or other bag designated as and containing only medical items?

Precheck so not required to pull anything out of bags. Zero issues except for one agent in one airport.

You it is 100% reasonable for you to expect them to test substances and items though.

Precheck so not required to pull anything out of bags. Zero issues except for one agent in one airport.

You it is 100% reasonable for you to expect them to test substances and items though.

Even with pre-check your supposed to abide by the 3-1-1 rules - you just don't have to remove the zip lock bags. So you would have to had one bag with your under 3.4 oz items and a separate bag with any medical items.

Even with pre-check your supposed to abide by the 3-1-1 rules - you just don't have to remove the zip lock bags. So you would have to had one bag with your under 3.4 oz items and a separate bag with any medical items.

Now this is outside of the "rules" but I have never put my liquids in a zip lock bag and have never been questioned on domestic or international flights and we are talking a lot of flights and times through security.

Just to add there is not specifically mentioned in any regulations I have come across stating a TSA Precheck passenger must keep liquids in a ziplock bag (other than signage at one airport that I can't remember which is not a regulation but something a specific airport chooses to enforce, similar to San Jose having Clear get an earlier bypass lane and forcing TSA Precheck to stand in the regular line until a split after a "dog smelling check area").

As for the medical items only liquid form medical items need to be accounted for in a separate bag:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/travel-tips/can-you-pack-your-meds-pill-case-and-more-questions-answered
Not trying to give you a hard time but just trying to pass along what I have learned from extensive travel and doing my best to research the limits of what the TSA has written regulations for (they don't exactly make it easy from what I have found hahah).

For full "clarity" (haha) including this:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures
Basically its stating you need to declare the medical needed items but this is specific to the liquids rule. Hence clear as mud as in the "suggested" area they specify gels but under the previous link I provided its liquids only. What makes it strange is while its considered the "liquid rule" when they refer to liquid form that is a subset of the liquid rule while gels and aerosol are also subsets of the liquid rule.

Last edited:
TSA requires ALL passengers follow the restrictions on liquids - I find nothing that says pre-check passengers are exempt from that rule only that the liquids can remain in your bag.

Quoted -
"If your TSA Pre✓® designation has been verified at a participating airport, you do not need to remove shoes, laptops, 3-1-1 liquids, belts, or light jackets during the screening process."

https://www.tsa.gov/precheck
Since Vaseline can't hold its shape outside the container it would be subject to the liquid rule - if your container is under 3.4oz you can place it in your quart size bag of liquids. Otherwise the TSA allows an additional bag for medical supplies.

I also travel extensively (and have pre-check) so I choose to follow the TSA Rules as I like to get through the checkpoint as quickly and easily as possible and get to my destination on time. I have also had occasions when the pre check line isn't available due to the early/late hour or at a very small airport (Kalamazoo is one I remember off hand).

Now this is outside of the "rules" but I have never put my liquids in a zip lock bag and have never been questioned on domestic or international flights and we are talking a lot of flights and times through security.

Just to add there is not specifically mentioned in any regulations I have come across stating a TSA Precheck passenger must keep liquids in a ziplock bag (other than signage at one airport that I can't remember which is not a regulation but something a specific airport chooses to enforce, similar to San Jose having Clear get an earlier bypass lane and forcing TSA Precheck to stand in the regular line until a split after a "dog smelling check area").

As for the medical items only liquid form medical items need to be accounted for in a separate bag:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/travel-tips/can-you-pack-your-meds-pill-case-and-more-questions-answered
Not trying to give you a hard time but just trying to pass along what I have learned from extensive travel and doing my best to research the limits of what the TSA has written regulations for (they don't exactly make it easy from what I have found hahah).

For full "clarity" (haha) including this:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/special-procedures
Basically its stating you need to declare the medical needed items but this is specific to the liquids rule. Hence clear as mud as in the "suggested" area they specify gels but under the previous link I provided its liquids only. What makes it strange is while its considered the "liquid rule" when they refer to liquid form that is a subset of the liquid rule while gels and aerosol are also subsets of the liquid rule.

follow the TSA Rules as I like to get through the checkpoint as quickly and easily as possible

And I said I have never been stopped or told differently. So after 100s of flights I think I am safe.

Vasline can be treated as OTC medicine and does not pertain to your liquid limit of 3-1-1 as well. Same with eye drops which can exceed and is separate from the liquid rule.

This all started with Bath Salts which don't hit any category for control that I am aware of and then I added about the vaseline which also doesn't hit the 3-1-1 policy requirement regardless.

Everything still goes through x-ray and they'll pull things if they feel it needs to be checked. I had this happen on my return flight in the fall. I bought my son a little Zen garden kit that contained sand. They had to pull it out, check the rest of my bag, opened it and tested the sand.

Everything still goes through x-ray and they'll pull things if they feel it needs to be checked. I had this happen on my return flight in the fall. I bought my son a little Zen garden kit that contained sand. They had to pull it out, check the rest of my bag, opened it and tested the sand.

Correct they can test everything as I said previously and it's reasonable to do so. What is not reasonable is for them to say that you cant carry them on or need to check it when it's not on the list of banned or controlled items.

Sorry if I made it sound like they shouldn't check anything. I have had random checks and checks because of suspicious items via the xray. They check them and I am on my way. I was just saying press them if they say it's not allowed to be carried on.

What is not reasonable is for them to say that you cant carry them on or need to check it when it's not on the list of banned or controlled items.
<snip> I was just saying press them if they say it's not allowed to be carried on.

DH almost got turned back from security when he “pressed them” about why they refused to permit a sealed bottle of garlic salt to be carried on (no checked bags, and can’t buy our favorite brand at home). And we have Nexus/TSA Pre-Check, and we showed them the TSA’s online list that says spices and salt are okay to travel, as well as offered to open it for them to taste, etc. The agents held their ground, as did their supervisors. The party line is that any agent can always deny any item, even if it’s normally on the permitted list.

In any debate of that nature, we discovered that TSA always wins since they make the rules, and pressing them too hard can turn out badly.

DH almost got turned back from security when he “pressed them” about why they refused to permit a sealed bottle of garlic salt to be carried on (no checked bags, and can’t buy our favorite brand at home). And we have Nexus/TSA Pre-Check, and we showed them the TSA’s online list that says spices and salt are okay to travel, as well as offered to open it for them to taste, etc. The agents held their ground, as did their supervisors. The party line is that any agent can always deny any item, even if it’s normally on the permitted list.

In any debate of that nature, we discovered that TSA always wins since they make the rules, and pressing them too hard can turn out badly.

Hopefully you took down their names and reported them later.

https://www.tsa.gov/contact-center/form/complaints

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter