Back From HHI 7/21 to 7/29.........

Martinvols

Mouseketeer
Had a great time --- Here is a summary of our trip:

Activities
Enjoyed shark tooth hunting - found several. If you are disappointed with a heavy thunderstorm, please remember that heavy rains bring more shark teeth! We found a bunch after heavy rainfall!
Enjoyed catching crabs at the Disney marsh pier
Enjoyed the activities for my 6 YO son --- highlights were him painting a crab catcher, shark tooth class, the Tuesday night pool party and the smores campfire. All of these activities are a big thumbs up! Also, my 6 YO son enjoyed the magic show along with a few other activities.
One morning when we were hunting for shark teeth, we saw a 2 to 3 foot shark that had swam into very shallow water ----- as a matter of fact, we could see the shark fins ---- I could not believe that a shark would swim and almost beach himself as he could barely get back out in the ocean --- he was so close to me, that I almost got in the water and pushed him onto the beach so that I could get a few pictures, now that would have been funny - I enjoy taking risks!
I got up at 6:30 a.m. every day and walked along the beach ---- very relaxing, as there is hardly anyone on the beach at this time in the morning.
Enjoyed riding our bikes all over the island --- we rode all the way up to Port Royal --- riding bikes on Hilton Head rocks because of all of the shade that is on the island in the various plantations.
Enjoyed surf fishing --- I caught 7 whiting; however, did not catch any sharks on this trip.
Enjoyed metal detecting --- not much time for this, found some small change.
Went to Sea Pines, Harbor Town and The Salty Dog
One of the new activities that we tried this year (we go to HHI every year), we went to Daufuskie Island for the day on the Ferry from HHI. The Ferry cost $27 for adults and $14 for children. What an experience ---- nice and relaxing, the way that HHI used to be 50 years ago. My 12 YO son and I were the only 2 people on a 3 mile stretch of beach. If you are thinking about a romantic weekend or perhaps a wedding venue, I would strongly recommend Daufuskie Island ---- the Ferry takes about 45 minutes to get to Daufuskie from HHI. Daufuskie is inhabited, they have about 400 permanent residents (who live there more than 6 months out of the year) and I understand that John Cougar Mellancamp is building a house on the island. Most people drive golf carts on Daufuskie as it is only about 5 miles long by 3 1/2 miles wide. Daufuskie has an Inn and cottages that are available for rent ---- we saw a few individuals on Daufuskie that were staying their entire week on the island. We had dinner at the Beach Club on Daufuskie -- my son and I had Grouper sandwiches and they were good. Dinner is reasonably priced on Daufuskie --- there is a Jack Nicholas golf course on the island, several tennis courts ----- and, a lot of open beach --- all to yourself.
Also -- We love playing pool at Oak Tree Lodge, accentuated by cookies and lemonade! And, shuffleboard by our unit!

Restaurants on HHI
We ate 3 times at The Sea Shack as it is very good for the price that you pay. For those with families, that are on a limited budget --- I suggest Sea Shack. Also, there is no obligation to tip at Sea Shack --- you don't feel the pressure to give big tips at a fish joint like Sea Shack. This is where all of the locals eat ---- and, I am talking about wealthy individuals eating at this joint ---- maybe that is there secret as to how they became wealthy.

We ate at Jullep's one night for dinner, early bird special and it was very good. So was Alexander's early bird (Palmetto Dune's). We ate at Salty Dog as well and enjoyed the nightly entertainment. That is all that I can remember for now --- can't wait until next summer to go back to HHI!
Go Vols!

We were at HH from 7/23-7/27 as well. Stopped on the way back from our drive home from WDW. We don't own at HH, but we sure loved it. We will likely look to add on points. We can see ourselves spending a week there every summer.

Thanks for your recap of the week. We loved the beach, and our rented bikes. Just lovely.

Diane

It sounds like you had a lot of fun! :thumbsup2

I so miss HH this summer. We went in March for a change of pace. There is no comparison. Next year, we're back to going in July.

Thanks for sharing....
Sounds like an awesome trip....

SHARKS:scared1:
I was nervous about the shark teeth.....if their are shark teeth....
there must be SHARKS....
THEN YOU SAW ONE:eek:

I would be afraid to swim there now:sad2: :headache:
Kerri

Whereas, we saw a 2 1/2 ft shark in shallow water at HHI, I would have no concerns about swimming in the ocean at HHI. As a matter of fact, HHI gradually declines in water depth and I don't think there have been many shark attacks in the past. My son and I swam and enjoyed the wave activity during high tide. My son has read a bunch of shark books --- it took some convincing on my part; however, we had a great time on a boogie board in the waves. I think there are many more shark attacks down in Florida ---- I remember a few years ago, where the media was taking pictures of a bunch of them as you could actually see them in the water from a high view point in the air. But, I think the main thing to remember is -- you have a greater chance of getting struck by lightning than getting bit by a shark. Go Vols!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter