Back and determined to do it old school: Team P vs. the New Disney (A month-long TR with a baby and a pre-schooler!) Updated 8/24!

Day 7: Disco Day

Okay, so a brief interlude out of the land of Disney for a moment, if you will permit. I think it’s worth it. It has all the happy vibes of Disney and, if Disney were going to do marine mammals, I reckon they’d do it something like Discovery Cove anyway. Because we’re creatures of habit, and because it’s amazing, we go every trip. For those of you unaware, Discovery Cove is Sea World’s answer to a tiny slice of a paradise island in the middle of Orlando. The main attraction is the dolphin interaction. You and a small group of other people get to meet a beautiful dolphin, have a couple of cuddles, a little ride, and watch it do some pretty cool behaviours up close and personal. Then you get to spend an obscene amount of money on photos and souvenirs because you’re so buzzed from meeting said dolphin. Or you do if you’re us, anyway (I have 3756272 Discovery Cove tees if anyone wants one). There’s also an aviary, a salt water snorkelling reef thing, a shark encounter, otters, random sloths, a flamingo walk (WHICH IS AMAZING), and everyone’s favourite attraction: the lazy river. It’s also all-inclusive.

We go as a group of nine and, for our Christmas present the year before we all ‘give each other’ a cabana rental. Now this ain’t no ordinary cabana. This is a secluded little private area with a bunch of seating, a hammock, kid’s toys, towels a fridge stocked with soft drinks and alcohol, and snacks. You also used to get a backpack and a soft toy included which we didn’t this time- annoying coz my kid really needs a new swimming kit bag for this year and now I’ll have to give those flipping Paw Patrol pups more of my hard-earned cash. Anyway, here’s a couple of cabana pics: (the fridge pic is pre-alcohol stock- we didn’t go that hard):

Yep the baby is asleep in that stroller. Praise be.

My big tip for DC is to get there at opening. You’ll get to do your dolphin interaction early-ish (i.e. as far away from the super-hot hours as possible), and you also get breakfast, which is worth the early get up. You also beat the crowds (while it is limited numbers, it’s still kinda congested at the entrance) and see the flamingos walk. In case you missed it, I love the flamingo walk. Matt thinks flamingos are just tall, pink ducks, but he’s wrong. They’re amazing.

Our day was fairly chilled out. Unfortunately, the dolphin interaction is not for under-6’s so my little sea creature-loving kid didn’t get to play. But he did love the snorkelling and spent aaaaaages watching the sharks. There was enough for him to be happy and not miss the dolphins too much. It was a hot, hot day for the baby. We were lucky enough to have the cabana to shelter in; I’m not sure it would have been anywhere near as easy on the open beach. There are umbrellas to shade under but… they’re not huge. The little people played in the shaded bit of our sand while Arch napped, and we pretty much stayed until park closing- something we probably wouldn't have been able to do without a chill space.

Oh, and the food here is yummy. There’s plenty of it and it’s all inclusive. The chocolate cake is amazing.

Bottom line (because this is a Disney forum and I’m spending too much time on non-Disney-ness), if you can go to Discovery Cove, it’s a wonderful day.

Day 8: Let it Rain(forest)

Aaaaaaand we’re back in Disney. (Kind of).

So, our next day we hit up Disney Springs for some shopping and a general mooch around again. I guess one of my favourite things about the length of our trip is that we get to have chill days where there’s no pressure to do anything specific. I don’t feel the ticking of the clock at much! We did a little shopping (Lego Store for my boy who is cultivating a brick obsession) and we managed to browse World of Disney without too bad crowds. Archer got himself his first Mickey:

I’d tried to get a Rainforest Café ressie earlier in the day but had no success, so we decided to try a walk up. My memories of this place aren’t great- giant plates of lukewarm, not-so-great food, and not really being able to hear myself think! But that was before I had kids who love animals and noise and chaos. And apparently you're meant to sacrifice for your offspring. So we chanced a walk-up and were seated within ten minutes- just enough time to get rinsed in the gift shop (woo.hoo. Does anyone know how to say ‘no’ to a cute kid yet? Because I am s.t.r.u.g.g.l.i.n.g. this trip).

Now Archer isn’t generally a tantrum-y kid. We got lucky with this one most of the time. But, sometimes, oh my GOODNESS he can embrace the fine art of a meltdown. And he decided to do this in the middle of Rainforest Café. I mean he is struggling to push a couple of teeth through but, still, jeeeeeez. So, we took turns bouncing him around the place while the other one inhaled food, entertained Finn and cursed those damn thunderstorms that seemed to be timed to the exact second the baby was just starting to close his eyes. The food we inhaled was limited by our evening’s activities: it was my brother’s birthday and he’d requested a Beni Ha Na dinner. We were eating relatively early, so we need to leave some room for that. I chose the Big Islander Caesar salad with chicken:

Now I love a salad: I like all kinds of exotic ingredients and combos, but can still be satisfied by a yummy Caesar. This one was fine. But not worth anywhere near the $26 price tag. Just fine.

Matty missed the memo about being out for a big dinner and loaded up on the pulled pork burger with fries. He wasn’t expecting much, but raved about this and said he could eat it over and over again:

Finny got the kids’ hot dog, fries and fruit. He’d already devoured the orange by the time the camera got around to him, but he loved this too.

I had a margarita because of the aforementioned screaming baby, and it was excellent in its’ ability to convince me I didn’t care about the aforementioned screaming baby. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: Tequila. Is. Magic.

Then we headed out to give that baby the nap he (and we) so desperately wanted. The kid seriously needs to learn how to nap in his stroller. We had a quick pic with Buzz (I have no idea why Finn has no shoes on), and then headed home.

We had our Birthday Beni’s at the Hilton just over the road from Disney Springs (yep, we headed all the way home to turn around and head all the way back again. We just love the I4 that much). It was your standard fare but the kids love the show and it’s a pretty easy going evening.

Next up: Day 9 (Wait, what, it’s F&W???)

whoops missed half of the report, I see my mistake,,,

I live in Celebration !
We also have alligators and raccoons!

Can not believe you did not have a Macadamia Nut Pancake at the Poly Kona !
Luv your family trip report cause…I’m English too!
Carry on

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter