• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Baby shower

Returning the $500 gift to the mom would be an insult. Use it toward a baby gift (crib, dresser, or gift card?).
Be sure the mother-to-be knows her mom her was a great help in putting the shower on.
It sounds like you have a wonderful party planned for the family! Enjoy celebrating the new arrival!
This. If there was anything left to get for the party I would use some of the money towards the party itself and then put the rest towards a big ticket gift (like a crib, stroller, etc) and acknowledge the big help her mom was. Seems like mom is not just happy that you guys are doing this for her daughter, but she is willing to help out even after making the monetary contribution.

Does she have a gift registry? Perhaps you could use the $500 towards one of the bigger items, such as crib or stroller. Or perhaps wait until closer to the shower date and buy a bunch of the "leftover" items on the registry with the money. I agree that giving it back to her in the form of a gift from "everyone (including the mother)" would be a nice gesture, rather than handing over the check to her privately or trying to give it back to the mom. Enjoy the shower - such a nice thing you're doing!

FTR, I'm not against family members hosting showers for one another. I didn't actually know it was a problem until the DIS. :umbrella:

There are a few things I do that offend the DIS Etiquette police! LOL! I give cash for all gifts, wedding, shower baby, funeral etc. I am not lazy, I just figure cash is good anywhere it is needed.

I put my name on a shower even though I am the Mom

I gave my son and DDIl a Jack and Jill. No tickets, now fees, no raffles. Just invitations sent out, a dinner, band and desserts....and a wine fountain. I love a wine fountain!

I know that it used to be an older unwritten rule that the mother should never host the shower precisely because it comes off as a "gift grab" as you say. I think that it's becoming a lot more common lately for it to happen though, because sometimes there just isn't anyone else who offers to do it, or has the means to do it, etc. Most of the baby showers that I've attended in the past 10 years have been hosted by either the mother or mother-in-law.

every shower is a "gift grab"- its a shower, that is what you do- bring gifts...doesn't matter who hosts it, it's still about bringing and getting gifts...I don't see what difference it makes if the mother hosts it or someone else, you are still "showering" the person with gifts no matter who hosts it. I never look at the invitation and say "OMG the MOTHER is hosting the shower"--doesn't matter to me who hosts it.

There are a few things I do that offend the DIS Etiquette police! LOL! I give cash for all gifts, wedding, shower baby, funeral etc. I am not lazy, I just figure cash is good anywhere it is needed.

I put my name on a shower even though I am the Mom

I gave my son and DDIl a Jack and Jill. No tickets, now fees, no raffles. Just invitations sent out, a dinner, band and desserts....and a wine fountain. I love a wine fountain!

I would be so thrilled to be invited to a party with a wine fountain, that sounds magical.

every shower is a "gift grab"- its a shower, that is what you do- bring gifts...doesn't matter who hosts it, it's still about bringing and getting gifts...I don't see what difference it makes if the mother hosts it or someone else, you are still "showering" the person with gifts no matter who hosts it. I never look at the invitation and say "OMG the MOTHER is hosting the shower"--doesn't matter to me who hosts it.

Same. I'm also from NY and no one I know has ever been offended about a mom hosting a shower...plenty of other things, sure. But not that! It's definitely totally normal and accepted here.

Exactly. It's to help out the new mom. Does not matter who hosts it.

What I don't like is those moms who have a baby shower for every kid. We know someone with 5 kids (all boys). She hosted her own baby shower for each kid. Whatever happened to hand me downs. These kids are all about a year apart.

What we are going to do is pull the mom to me at the side and explain what happened and that we want her to take that money and buy something nice for the baby or save it for something in the future. We are giving her our old crib with changing table, dresser and bassinet. No need for it since it's in storage and like new.

What I don't like is those moms who have a baby shower for every kid. We know someone with 5 kids (all boys). She hosted her own baby shower for each kid. Whatever happened to hand me downs. These kids are all about a year apart.

What we are going to do is pull the mom to me at the side and explain what happened and that we want her to take that money and buy something nice for the baby or save it for something in the future. We are giving her our old crib with changing table, dresser and bassinet. No need for it since it's in storage and like new.
But, why? Why put this woman in the awkward position of having to keep a secret from her mom (you returned the money) so as to not hurt her mother's feelings (since mom cared so much to contribute that she ended up in tears)? Honestly, with the latest info, it sounds like the mother has few options for being involved with her daughter's baby shower. You're hosting the event, paying for the event, and providing all(!) the big ticket items. There's a difference between a nice gesture vs. taking over to the exclusion of everyone and everything else, and making the guest of honor (and her family) feel like a charity case. The mother wants to contribute to her daughter's shower -- let her. If the woman was flush with cash would you still be trying so hard to return the money? If the answer is "no" then you do see her as a charity case and I'd imagine they're now in the uncomfortable position of having picked up on that.

Last edited:
But, why? Why put this woman in the awkward position of having to keep a secret from her mom (you returned the money) so as to not hurt her mother's feelings (since mom cared so much to contribute that she ended up in tears)? Honestly, with the latest info, it sounds like the mother has few options for being involved with her daughter's baby shower. You're hosting the event, paying for the event, and providing all(!) the big ticket items. There's a difference between a nice gesture and taking over to the exclusion of everyone and everything else, and making the guest of honor (and her family) feel like a charity case. The mother wants to contribute to her daughter's shower -- let her. If the woman was flush with cash would you still be trying so hard to return the money? If the answer is "no" then you do see her as a charity case and I'd imagine they're now in the uncomfortable position of having picked up on that.
If you knew who they were, you would try to keep it a secret. As far as the mother knows, she is helping. She would never know. I have known this family for a very long time. The mother only takes in about $500 month from SS. she lives with her daughter, son in law and 2 sisters in a small apt. This is a whole months pay for her. She must have been saving it since they found out they were pregnant. My conscience will not allow me to take it. The daughter knows that she spends money on things she should not be buying like groceries, clothes for the kids, etc.

Those I won't even go to- it's ONE shower per person, not per KID!

Those I won't even go to- it's ONE shower per person, not per KID!

I agree. I will bring gift to welcome a new baby if I choose to, and i usually do choose to do so. I have a friend whose BIL and SIL had a huge shower for themselves (yes, they threw their own) for the second baby not even 2 years after the first was born. They registered for everything from cribs to car seats, and high chairs to swings set contraptions that contort into all kinds of baby care functions. I did nto respond, and my friend sent her RSVP as a regret. Who does this?

OP, if there isn't anything big you can purchase for the baby, you can always open a college savings fund for the baby after it's born and deposit that money into it.

I would just buy $500+ worth of gift cards and/or gifts and call it a day. I would specifically use the money towards the baby. I wouldn't tell the mom or the nanny. It just makes it awkward.

For me (my culture) $500 doesn't go far in throwing a party when you have a family of at least 100+ people you have to invite (my baby shower had about 150 people). Our baby showers are coed and family affairs. Full on buffet meals are served. $500 would maybe just cover the food.

I've only been to one baby shower that was at someone's home and all women with snacks and finger foods.

I would just buy $500+ worth of gift cards and/or gifts and call it a day. I would specifically use the money towards the baby. I wouldn't tell the mom or the nanny. It just makes it awkward.

For me (my culture) $500 doesn't go far in throwing a party when you have a family of at least 100+ people you have to invite (my baby shower had about 150 people). Our baby showers are coed and family affairs. Full on buffet meals are served. $500 would maybe just cover the food.

I've only been to one baby shower that was at someone's home and all women with snacks and finger foods.
This is the same thing. She has a large family. I think there will be about 60 people at the party (coed). Sound like we may be from similar cultures. $500 does not cover much, maybe the beer. They are going to get so much baby stuff and they have cousins giving them hand me downs. From what I heard from the mother, she has no idea about this party which is great. This will be buffet but have catering company handle the cooking and cleanup. We are going to buy the alcohol/beverages.

This is the same thing. She has a large family. I think there will be about 60 people at the party (coed). Sound like we may be from similar cultures. $500 does not cover much, maybe the beer. They are going to get so much baby stuff and they have cousins giving them hand me downs. From what I heard from the mother, she has no idea about this party which is great. This will be buffet but have catering company handle the cooking and cleanup. We are going to buy the alcohol/beverages.

Yup same kind of party. Lots food, alcohol/drinks, music, dancing. It's a celebration!

Yup same kind of party. Lots food, alcohol/drinks, music, dancing. It's a celebration!
Sounds a lot more interesting than what I'd recognize as a baby shower: 10 or a dozen ladies sitting around a preggo wearing a hat made of gift-bows and being served cookies and lemonade while onesies and receiving blankets are passed around to be observed. :rotfl:

Sounds a lot more interesting than what I'd recognize as a baby shower: 10 or a dozen ladies sitting around a preggo wearing a hat made of gift-bows and being served cookies and lemonade while onesies and receiving blankets are passed around to be observed. :rotfl:

When I first started on message boards many years ago I would read threads about baby showers. Lots of griping about how boring and painful they were. I kept thinking "why would anyone dislike a baby shower. They're so fun!" Then I went to one of "those" baby showers and I understood. Lol.

It really wasn't that bad but something I wasn't used to. I could see it getting old and boring if you're going to a lot of baby showers.

When I first started on message boards many years ago I would read threads about baby showers. Lots of griping about how boring and painful they were. I kept thinking "why would anyone dislike a baby shower. They're so fun!" Then I went to one of "those" baby showers and I understood. Lol.

It really wasn't that bad but something I wasn't used to. I could see it getting old and boring if you're going to a lot of baby showers.
Oh no. Baby showers/wedding showers/birthdays/etc. even Christmas Eve we go all out. It's a big party until 2am. Looking forward to it this year since I don't have to host it (typically we celebrate down in key west but due to the hurricane and damage to our home down there, someone else will have to host).

Oh no. Baby showers/wedding showers/birthdays/etc. even Christmas Eve we go all out. It's a big party until 2am. Looking forward to it this year since I don't have to host it (typically we celebrate down in key west but due to the hurricane and damage to our home down there, someone else will have to host).

Us too. I always say all of our parties are the same just with a different label on them. Graduation, birthday, baby shower, wedding. When it's time to celebrate we go all out! Then at 2 am when it's over we take the after party to someone else's house. Always a fun time with family and friends.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter