Awesome new Christmas treat!

I did the same thing for a party last night, but instead of using red velvet cake mix, I used a gingerbread mix. They werre a big hit!

I want some, now! :) They look delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I'm going to try it!

Just an FYI, I made "eyeballs" for Halloween and didn't have red velvet cake so I used white and put in red food coloring. Umm..lots of drops later I still had a pink cake. Now, I am by no means a professional :), but I have no idea how to make a white cake red. I used almost a whole bottle. Maybe my red was bad? To be safe, I'd use the red velvet.

But more importantly....Your balls look amazing! ;) I was going to do some red and green for the holidays.

If you have a cake or candy supply store nearby, get the powdered red & green coloring. It is much more intense with a small amount.

When you add it, stir it in by hand first. If you pour in the powdered coloring and turn on your mixer, you will have colored powder EVERYWHERE.

Where did you get the white chocolate wafers? I like to use white almond bark for my chocolate covered peanuts so I'll probably use that for the dipping for these, but what did you use for the "snow"?

Just an FYI, I made "eyeballs" for Halloween and didn't have red velvet cake so I used white and put in red food coloring. Umm..lots of drops later I still had a pink cake. Now, I am by no means a professional :), but I have no idea how to make a white cake red. I used almost a whole bottle. Maybe my red was bad? To be safe, I'd use the red velvet.

But more importantly....Your balls look amazing! ;) I was going to do some red and green for the holidays.

Food colouring (assuming you mean the little bottles of liquid) isn't strong enough. We use either a paste or power version that we get a baking supply shop nearby. Works for cake batter and icing (so you get a true red, for example, rather than a pastel red).

Food colouring (assuming you mean the little bottles of liquid) isn't strong enough. We use either a paste or power version that we get a baking supply shop nearby. Works for cake batter and icing (so you get a true red, for example, rather than a pastel red).

I use the gel food coloring from Wilton , buy it at Walmart in the party area.

One of the mom's in my Manga club makes these, I don't like frosting but these are good.

She just did chocolate with white choc dipped and vanilla with milk choc dip.

I would love the red velvet.

Paula Deen has a recipe for these, and they are really good.

Here's a picture of Mickey Mouse cake pops:

mickey-silhouette-recipe-photo-260x260-bakerella-silhouette-mickey-IMG_5771.jpg

Attaching the chocolate wafer ears before dipping chocolate:

mickey-minnie-recipe-step-photo-135x100-bakerella-IMG_5649.jpg

Directions:
http://family.go.com/disney/pkg-disney-recipes/recipe-bakerella-866602-disney-bakerella-mickey-mouse-silhouette-cake-pops-t/

Ok, I've talked myself into trying these, but I have a question. I need them for a party on Friday. If I made them this weekend, how should I store them so they stay fresh? Is that possible? Or should I just plan on making them closer to Friday, if possible?

Store them at room temperature. If you chill them, the chocolate could sweat or crack as it comes back to room temp.

Store them at room temperature. If you chill them, the chocolate could sweat or crack as it comes back to room temp.

But, they are made with a cream cheese frosting. Even the canned frostings (that have very little real ingredients) say to refrigerate after opening. I wouldn't leave a cake /cake product out for a week. Professional bakers refrigerate or freeze cakes when they have to pre-bake cakes.

General rule: When in doubt, make choices that err on the cautious side of food safety. Don't sacrifice food safety for convenience or food appearance. Maybe, make the balls ahead of time, refrigerate. Then dunk them in chocolate closer to the party, so you won't worry about them sweating. Or make them closer to the party.

I wouldn't want to be responsible for the one thing that makes everyone at the party sick. :scared:

I'm adding these to my baking list this year. Thanks!

Claudia1, I hope you don't mind, I linked to your thread in my Cookies from Cake Mixes Thread.
I was about to add a post for Cookie Pops, but you had posted your cake pops first and I really like your directions. Plus this thread has a lot of great tips from everyone. :woohoo: :grouphug: Since my thread is a sticky on the DIS Cooking Board, this thread is now permanently archived there. :thumbsup2

Anyway, my post has some variations for cookie pops in it and ideas of how to dress up the balls or pops. Please visit everyone! :goodvibes

You are so right, Imzadi! If you need to do them ahead, do the balls ahead and refrigerate or freeze until needed. Dip closer to the time of serving.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter