• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Avatar made me sick - should I avoid Rise?

I thought Smuggler's Run was much worse than Rise for motion sickness but FOP is the worst of the 3. I've actually never had a problem on Rise.

Today is Epcot, I was wondering about GoG.

I did fine on Smugglers & RotR.

Never doing Everest again 😂. Chickened out of Rock n Roller.
You need to do GoG. Preshow is fantastic and the coaster special effects are worth the discomfort, imo.

For what it’s worth, FOP bothers me but I had no problems with Guardians. The advice I was given for Guardians was to “not stare at the moon.” Don’t know if it makes a difference but I don’t stare at it and have been fine.

DH did FOP once and never again for him. He had to sit down before we could even walk out the whole exit and he felt bad for several hours after. He has done Ride 4-5 times now with never any issue.
Same story for my DH - one time on FoP and never again, but he's been on Rise many times and has no issues at all.

Loved GotG, even got on Rock n Roller!

Never doing Everest or ToT again, but I managed to conquer every ride in all 4 parks 🥰🥰

It’s been an even better trip than I imagined it could be.

I got sick on Rise. People always say "You're kidding?!" But yeah - I got super incredibly nauseous. Thankfully it wasn't long lasting. I will not ride Rise again. My worst by far was Everest - I got majorly ill after Everest and remained ill for half the day. Will never ride that again. Will not even attempt FoP, GOTG or Remy. No way. If anything involves screens or backward / spinning movement, I get sick. I am such a wimp that I almost get sick on the Frozen ride at Epcot because of the backward movement at the end - thankfully, that movement is short enough that I can close my eyes and handle it. Another 30 seconds, I'd probably be sick.

My first few seconds on FoP were a bit unsettling. Then I remembered the introduction story that said it was a 'follow the leader' ride. I located and focused my attention on the 'leader' and then the ride became fun. Watching the leader's movements I could anticipate the motion. Then I felt like I was actually driving the motion rather then just riding along. By the end of the ride I found I could ease my focus on the ride leader and enjoy more of the amazing view.
Thank you SO MUCH for this tip btw. It made an enormous difference. I enjoyed every second of my repeat flight with not a hint of dizziness afterwards

Thank you SO MUCH for this tip btw. It made an enormous difference. I enjoyed every second of my repeat flight with not a hint of dizziness afterwards

You are very welcome! It is an amazing ride. In my opinion Disney should modify the introduction to emphasize the "follow the leader" story and instruct riders to focus their attention on the ride leader. It would save a lot of folks from losing themselves in the visual overload and the dizziness that comes when your eyes are watching and the motion you are feeling get out of sync.

You are very welcome! It is an amazing ride. In my opinion Disney should modify the introduction to emphasize the "follow the leader" story and instruct riders to focus their attention on the ride leader. It would save a lot of folks from losing themselves in the visual overload and the dizziness that comes when your eyes are watching and the motion you are feeling get out of sync.
Told hubby about this and we are excited to give it another go as well! Thanks!

My first few seconds on FoP were a bit unsettling. Then I remembered the introduction story that said it was a 'follow the leader' ride. I located and focused my attention on the 'leader' and then the ride became fun. Watching the leader's movements I could anticipate the motion. Then I felt like I was actually driving the motion rather then just riding along. By the end of the ride I found I could ease my focus on the ride leader and enjoy more of the amazing view.

Completely agree on this advice! The first time I rode it I realized I needed to keep my eyes on the leader about halfway through. So I was a bit iffy coming off. Since then, I watch the leader and am fine.

Rise has never made me feel queasy. It’s an amazing ride, especially for a Star Wars fan!

However, if FoP made you feel sick, don’t try the Millenium Falcon, it’s very similar to the motion of FoP with the screen and movement. And if you end up with bad pilots, it’s a very bumpy ride.

Rise has never made me feel queasy. It’s an amazing ride, especially for a Star Wars fan!

However, if FoP made you feel sick, don’t try the Millenium Falcon, it’s very similar to the motion of FoP with the screen and movement. And if you end up with bad pilots, it’s a very bumpy ride.
Lol yeah, I did this one twice and the second time the 11 year old drove. Her mom was telling her what a great pilot she was but I quietly disagreed 😂😂😂. We crashed into so many things it was a far bumpier experience than the first time I did it

No problems with RotR (or Runaway Railway). Had a slight bit of motion sickness on Millenium Falcon, but was able to handle it.

Flight of Passage really made me feel ill, so it's a never again ride for me.

I have never been on Rise. This is the kind of thread I have been looking for. Avatar did not bother my stomach, but gave me horrible claustrophobia. Smuggler's Run made me very sick to my stomach, though. Ugh!

What often happens/triggers motion sickness on rides like FoP is that one's inner ear/brain can tell the difference between what you are seeing and the movement you are actually making.

A simple remedy of sorts is to simply close your eyes for parts of the attraction. I'm not sure how to say succinctly in a forum, but the gentle motions tend to be okay. While the big movements tend to be where your brain senses the problem, So in FoP that would be the big drops. In Star tours, that is maybe the jump to Hyperspace.

This won't work for everyone of course, but it might help some folks.

if this can be of any help:

if you tend to have motion sickness, try to ask not to be on the bottom floor of the theatre in Avatar. My mother (who is not exactly brave, she always take dramamine before rides) first time on avatar didn't have any pills and she was great! second time, we were on the bottom floor and she was not as good as first time (and me too, who never have any problems, I was dizzy).
Bein in the upper level help a lot, don't know why, but it does.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter