Autographs and Pins: do or don't?

monsmith

Earning My Ears
We'll be at DL in a few weeks (!!!) and I'm taking care of the final little details. At first, I was against the idea of autograph books and pin trading just because they're one.more.thing to deal with. Now that it's almost here, I'm afraid these are things my kiddos may want to do and I'll be stuck scrounging and spending more than if I had just planned on them in the first place. Any insight or input here? My son is 8, daughter is 5. Are these things your kiddos have been excited about or enjoy? This is our first trip & I don't anticipate returning soon so my plan so far has been to go all out, but I can't really gauge this one. Help?!

My daughter (8) loves to get autographs! I create a special, themed, book for her for each trip. They will become memory books in later years.

Pin trading seems to overwhelming to me. With fakes and scrappers and all that to worry about, I just haven't bothered with it. My daughter hasn't asked for it either.

We have visited DL twice - my girls were 4 & 6 and then 6 & 8. On the first visit we tried our hand at pin trading the first day but the girls didn't seem too interested.....now, autographs, that was a whole different story. They loved collecting them. My advice would be to purchase or make a simple autograph book in advance, grab a sharpie and be ready - it was fun!

Autographs - yes! If only for the interaction with the characters and photos.

I would pass on pin trading - it seems like the buy-in on that would be really high for something you may only do once.

I would rather do pressed pennies. It's relatively cheap, and it's another "activity" the kiddos can do and keep track of throughout the trip.

I think the autographs are the easiest thing to "pick up" there at the last minute. The Disney shops all sell autograph books (and pens) if you wanted to go with the DLR-themed book. If not, really any piece of paper would work - but I recommend taking sharpies (fat ones) with you for the characters. I went with a 5 year old (girl) and she got into asking the characters for autographs when she went up to meet them. It was a nice way to "break the ice" for her and she enjoys looking back through the autograph book now.

Picking up pin trading in the parks is much more expensive and probably not something I would recommend doing just because of the cost. If you think there is a chance that the kids might want to do some trading, I would look into getting some traders now (before you go) and having them on hand. Otherwise, you're probably look at somewhere around $30 for a set of 7-starter pins in the parks. The 5-year old didn't really understand pin trading, so it wasn't something we did much of with her.

My daughter loves to get autographs. Last time we went to DL for her 6th birthday, the characters wrote special birthday wishes in her book. Sad part is we lost the book on the way home . I'm still upset about that but tell myself it could be worse an we still have the pics. Definitely put your contact info inside, we didn't do that.

No experience with pin trading. Oh, and I think buying autograph books at gift shops there is the same price, but may be wrong on that.

If your going to meet the characters or do character meals, I would definitely be ready to collect autographs. You can get a book, make a book, bring a pillow case or shirt to sign, or whatever works for you. We have purchased two books for DD, one when she was 3 and one when she was 5. She is now 6 and likes to take them out and look at the photos and autographs.

As for the pins, what the don't know they are missing wont really bother them. It can be fun, but there is so much else to do that it just won't matter. We do collect pins, but my DD does not like to give any away, and is too shy to actually speak with the people she might trade with. It might be fun to let your kids each pick out a pin for a keepsake, but unless you have a desire for a collection, I would stop there. We have a few pins from e each of our trips that we keep in a book, and once again we like to take them out and look at them while sharing stories of where/why we picked that pin.

I only have experience with autographs. Our kids (6 and 4) love them and like looking at their books after the trip was over. We bought autograph books the first time we went to Disneyland and have made them since then. Either way works fine. Here are some of the tips that I heard and have found helpful . . .

I found that regardless of if I made the book or bought it, my kids loved having the picture of them with the character next to the signature. Disneyland has books with spots for a picture to be in next to the autograph.

If you want to make your book . . . . use the dollar store photo books. You can cut 4 by 6 cards from scrapbook paper or cardstock and add some Disney stickers to dress them up and have the characters sign them. When you get home slip the cards into the protective sheets in the photo book and then add the pictures of your kids with the characters. We just did this and it worked great. I had about 25 premade 4 by 6 sheets that were clipped together (with one of those purse looking clips) and then after every signature we just rotated a blank one to the front. We didn't even take the dollar store photo book into the park with us. Just the cards cut and clipped together in a sandwich bag. If you have scrapbook paper/cardstock on hand it will probably save you 10-15 dollars a book. Then if they aren't into it, it won't feel like you wasted money. Or if you want to spend money on a fancy homemade book check out etsy.

Retractable sharpie markers work well because you don't have to worry about lids and they are big enough for the characters to hold.

You can also have all the characters sign something like a t shirt (as long as it is not being worn), photo mat, Disney book, frame etc. and then you would have one thing to take home with all the signatures. We saw one family with a really neat book of all the characters that they were having signed. Looked like fun!

Do the autographs! Kids love to get the character's autographs. I bought an 8X10 matte frame for a 5X7 photo at Walmart and I'm taking that for the characters to sign. We've also done birthday cards and the autograph books. My original thought for this year was to make some "cards" from scrapbook paper held together with a binder clip and have the characters sign those. Then I could separate them at home and put them in the scrapbook with pictures of the character, but then I found the frame idea. We haven't bought the books with the picture slots, but I think those are great. Then your kids can look back at their character pictures and have their own personal keepsake.

As far as pins I agree that if you're not going often it's a big expense for them. I bought my daughter a lanyard, but I wear one and so she sees it and wants one too. I think if I didn't have one she never would have asked. She has been to Disneyland at least once a year since her first birthday though, more on the years we had APs.

I love Pin Trading. It's about 60% of why I go on as many trips as I do - though in '11 it seemed to have died down quite a bit from the craze in '07.

For me, it's like a treasure hunt :D

That being said, there are some really reputable ebay seller's out there and all the one's I loved years ago were fantastic! I haven't bought trading pins in years - but there's probably a thread steering you in their direction somewhere. You could basically throw $5 at a cute lanyard purchased separately and $15 for 4-7 pins ahead of time. I would try it for the 8 y/o (lanyard plus 5 pins), the 5 year old could probably just have a lanyard and a couple pins of her own if she's a friendly 'say hi' to CM's type of child.

If you ebay it it costs much much less than the 'starter' (1 lanyard, 4 pins) packs at DL at were like $35? 4 years ago. I always purchase them ahead of time, for trading, but invariably buy a few to take home as keepsakes :D

I think DD did autographs until she was 6 or 7. DS is 6 now and has never had any real interest in characters.

DD started pin trading when she was 8 and LOVES it. DS started at 5 to get in on the fun like his sister.

I have to say I love that my kids enjoy pin trading. It has brought such a fun element to our Disney trips and I really enjoy looking for pins with them. It's great interaction way for them to interact with other people and learn proper etiquette with pin trading. It gives them the sense of getting something new all throughout the day since they make several trades which in return means we spend less on souvenirs and looking in the stores. They've also become a great keepsake that they will keep as adults, not just end up in the garage sale pile. Each year I buy them a special one with the year on it so they know every time they took a trip, those go in their books of ones they don't trade.

I agree with most of the posters. Yes, to autographs. It's a great way to interact with the characters, especially the ones who can't talk. Several people had great inexpensive ideas but another is small Disney spiral notebooks that they sell at Party City as party favors. We have used those several times and they work great. I have also done 4 x 6 notecards that are connected with a fastener. This year I'm using a sketchbook and letting my kids decorate it with Disney stickers.
This will be our first year with pin trading. We've never wanted to invest money in it but we got free pins and lanyards with the package we booked so I figured why not? But like I said, its not something I would have done for my kids previously unless they noticed it or asked first.

When my dd was that age, autographs were THE thing. At 11, she got hooked on pin trading. Just with cast members tho. This trip (she'll turn 13), she is hoping to do both.

My kids did autograph books on our first trip. They were 4 and 6. Years later (teens now) they realized they were people inside costumes, and they tossed their books out when cleaning their rooms. My son threw his out first and my daughter a year later. When I think of all the time we spent in lines getting those autographs..... I always promise myself to tell this story when anyone asks. Did they enjoy it at the time? Yes. Am I still mad about all the time spent in those long lines? LOL maybe a little, yes.

My kids did autograph books on our first trip. They were 4 and 6. Years later (teens now) they realized they were people inside costumes, and they tossed their books out when cleaning their rooms. My son threw his out first and my daughter a year later. When I think of all the time we spent in lines getting those autographs..... I always promise myself to tell this story when anyone asks. Did they enjoy it at the time? Yes. Am I still mad about all the time spent in those long lines? LOL maybe a little, yes.
And we dont do pin trading because... well, we like our pins! :rolleyes1

They've also become a great keepsake that they will keep as adults, not just end up in the garage sale pile.

Many of my pins could be sold for either slightly discounted (what I paid for them), or a higher collectors rate. I sold a few at $5 a pop at a garage sale once. It's definitely not an "investment" but it's a fun activity with a high percentage return should I decide to give it up, or just (as I did back then) need quick cash.

I had an autograph book in '00 and I actually did the same - barely used and tossed a few summers later. Funny enough though I still have the Mickey hat and pin from my '98 trip. I plan to give them to my kids, and similar to other posters, buy a pin for each year I go to stick on that hat.

Wow, thank you guys for all the input!! I didn't even think of the fact that autographs break the ice and add to the interaction with characters! I'll definitely plan to get those or have something ready for them. Still on the fence with pins...I don't think my boy will care...the girl might take forever looking/deciding on a pin she likes but then never want to give up one of hers!! Thanks again!!

This is a really helpful thread. Autographs seem like useful way to start a conversation with characters. Any of you tried this with 2 year olds?

Autographs are a must I think....it is really cool to look back at my wife's book from her childhood and compare them to out kids books.....they are spot on with their autographs!

Our son (2 now) on our first trip jumped out of our stroller with his book and pen to see MINNIE MOUSE.....one of the cutest things I have ever seen....also the only character he did that with. This time he is excited for Mickey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter