Autism and Vaccines

http://www.whale.to/vaccine/olmsted.html
An interesting article on the lack of autism in the Amish of Lancaster country, PA. It does go against conventional medical teachings about giving children mercury so why do vaccines have mercury in them, sigh, time to live an Amish life I guess.

Of course since autism almost certainly has a genetic component, and the Amish marry only other Amish, it would make sense that there wouldn't be a high level of autism in that community.

Another thing I'd think you'd want to consider, with the Amish (interesting article) is not only the vaccines... but the simpler lifestyle in general. More "natural" foods, less processed. There are many Mennonites in the area where I live, but a lack of "health food stores" (in the hippie-granola sense) so the Mennonite stores are a good source of groceries for us. So there's that component as well. The kids are probably eating healthier and exposed to less chemicals in their diet.

However, if your child *happens* to be asthmatic, they can't use the nose-spray flu vaccine, which does not have thimerisol. They have to do the shot. Some drs/clinics order the vaccines without thimerisol, you can special order them, but I guess they were in short supply, because the last two years our dr couldn't get one for us. And at the same time, everyone is really really pushing that flu vaccine.

However, if your child *happens* to be asthmatic, they can't use the nose-spray flu vaccine, which does not have thimerisol. They have to do the shot. Some drs/clinics order the vaccines without thimerisol, you can special order them, but I guess they were in short supply, because the last two years our dr couldn't get one for us. And at the same time, everyone is really really pushing that flu vaccine.
The vaccine in multi-dose vials have thimerosal as a preservative. Individually packaged pre-filled syringe doses of vaccine usually don't, but a lot of it was packaged for use by the youngest children, so there was not much available for older people.
I am allergic to thimerosal, and didn't know until just recently that our Employee Health did have a few doses of thimerosal free vaccine. I'll know for next year.
Another thing I'd think you'd want to consider, with the Amish (interesting article) is not only the vaccines... but the simpler lifestyle in general. More "natural" foods, less processed. There are many Mennonites in the area where I live, but a lack of "health food stores" (in the hippie-granola sense) so the Mennonite stores are a good source of groceries for us. So there's that component as well. The kids are probably eating healthier and exposed to less chemicals in their diet.
There have been quite a few epidemics of vaccine preventable diseases like Pertussis, Measles and Mumps in the Mennonite and Amish population though.

Guys, there is no credible evidence that vaccines cause autism. The fact that ASD symptoms occur around the two year vaccination mark does not prove cause. Think of the terrible diseases that vaccines actually help to prevent. These diseases are still out there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter